Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my stator is bad and I still don't have the cash to replace it. The joy of having adult responsibilities. Anyway, I know there are a lot of factors, so I'll get to that, but my initial question is, how far/long do you think I can go/run on battery alone? I'm itching for a ride and was thinking I could ride to work, put it on the charger here, and then ride home at the end of the day.

First, is this bad for the bike or the batter or the charging system (what's left of it) in general?

The bad thing is, I do have HIDs, but I also have LEDs in the city lights. I have an ATRE and a quickshifter. Not much else in the way of fancy electronics.

Discuss ...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well let me first admit that I did this same exact thing when the stator went bad in another motorcycle of mine and was my only mode of transportation. It vary's how far you can go each charge, and the time it takes to charge is at least a few hours. How many miles to work? Hills?

Doing this is bad for your bike, and would not suggest doing it at all. It wears on all your electrical components and will more then likely destroy your battery. HID's will use more current then the oem style heal light setup. As for the LED's pretty much negligible.

Conclusion : Don't do it! I was dumb enough too and got into some sticky situations with the bike dieing out in unfortunate situations. Learn from my stupidity and just be patient my friend!

:2cents:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well let me first admit that I did this same exact thing when the stator went bad in another motorcycle of mine and was my only mode of transportation. It vary's how far you can go each charge, and the time it takes to charge is at least a few hours. How many miles to work? Hills?

Doing this is bad for your bike, and would not suggest doing it at all. It wears on all your electrical components and will more then likely destroy your battery. HID's will use more current then the oem style heal light setup. As for the LED's pretty much negligible.

Conclusion : Don't do it! I was dumb enough too and got into some sticky situations with the bike dieing out in unfortunate situations. Learn from my stupidity and just be patient my friend!

:2cents:
Figured as much. Was basically looking for someone to tell me not to be a dumbass. :eek:ccasion1

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Hey Evil! Sorry to hear of your problem.

To answer your question though, I'd expect you to be able to probably hit the 30-40 mile mark before you're dead in the water. And when that happens, add a new battery to your shopping list. It won't affect your other electronics doing that, but the chances of you getting any farther and getting a full charge on the battery is slim. Run the battery too low and you'll likely damage it. And if you get stuck in traffic along the way, then shorten that distance down considerably.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
As my wife's birthday approaches, I wonder how she feels about a new stator and gaskets for her gift?
Do it! She will love you more for getting something you can both enjoy! :notworthy: And if she gives you any grief, then switch to the tried and true backup plan....:ldiw:

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'd try testing it out.

1. Charge the battery
2. Pull your headlight fuse
3. Take a multi-meter with you for a test ride and test the voltage regularly to see how far you can safely get before you get into battery destroying territory. 11 volts? low 12's? I don't know what that would be though.
4. Then report back because we'd love to know!

Good luck!

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Our battery is weak when it's in working mode. End of thread, for sure; Just there to crank the start. (the electric start is a life saver for a four stroke; and don't listen to the mega old timer Harley kick start guy...or maybe you might listen to them as many broke a leg on their start) The trade is lighter weight under the butt. You have never pushed a 400 pound super, for sure, (or you would not be asking this publicly!)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Our battery is weak when it's in working mode. End of thread, for sure; Just there to crank the start. (the electric start is a life saver for a four stroke, don't listen to the mega old timer Harley kick start guy...or maybe you might listen to them as many broke a leg on their start) The trade is lighter weight under the butt. You have never pushed a 400 pound super, for sure, (or you would not be asking this publicly!)
The part I bolded is something I'll never forget ha! Pushing a 400 pound bike is no fun at all. I thought I could push mine about a mile and a half back home and I gave up after a few feet:lol:

And on how far you can make it on just the battery, I had to ride mine as long as I could until my battery died when my stator went out. I was about 2 1/2 hours away when it starting having trouble. I think I was able to go about 40 miles or so, at one point I had no electronics but the bike was still going for at least another 20 miles until it completely gave up.
That's another trip I'll never forget.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Our battery is weak when it's in working mode. End of thread, for sure; Just there to crank the start. (the electric start is a life saver for a four stroke; and don't listen to the mega old timer Harley kick start guy...or maybe you might listen to them as many broke a leg on their start) The trade is lighter weight under the butt. You have never pushed a 400 pound super, for sure, (or you would not be asking this publicly!)
Pushed a couple times early on in my riding career. Pushed a 95 zx6r about a mile both times - worst suck ever! In gear no less. On a summer day. Probably will never go back to carbs.:|

Reactions: scout

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've never heard of em to be honest but hell after reading those reviews they seem to be good. BUT there are only like 7 reviews. Very easy to make some fake reviews, which is what happens with some products on amazon.

But I mean it is only $52 bucks versus $100+ for a ricks stator which is what I went with.
Even if that $52 stator lasts a year or two I don't think that's too bad for 50 bucks lol. Let us know if you get that one and how it works out!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've never heard of em to be honest but hell after reading those reviews they seem to be good. BUT there are only like 7 reviews. Very easy to make some fake reviews, which is what happens with some products on amazon.

But I mean it is only $52 bucks versus $100+ for a ricks stator which is what I went with.
Even if that $52 stator lasts a year or two I don't think that's too bad for 50 bucks lol. Let us know if you get that one and how it works out!
I think I'm going to go for it. The Genuine Kawasaki ones are so expensive, it seems like a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Wonder if there's anywhere else that has some info/reviews on these stators? I know it seems a no brainer, just dont wanna see you get stuck...refer to my post above lol. Gotta be other peeps who've bought these.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like aftermarket stator options are Caltric, RM, and Rick's. Caltric being the cheapest and Rick's the most expensive. Maybe a get what you pay for kind of thing, but reviews seem to be a wash.

·
Registered
799 Posts
sorry to revive an old thread.

Just an opinion on Caltric Stators: I've got about 11,000 miles on one so far.

I think the Shorai failed first (it was already replaced once under warranty) and I returned to a sealed AGM battery. Shortly thereafter the stator failed and I got home (about 25 miles) on battery alone. Installed the Caltric and all is well so far. Wondering If i should have the OEM re-wound.

I'm sorry to report bad experience with the Shorai on my Gen4, it was great for years on my 1st Gen! (R.I.P.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts