Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it hard to get the back tire off? i ordered a new tire off the net and it arrives soon. i can save 30 bucks if i take the rim off myself and then take it to the shop to get put on. does anyone have a step by step guide. i searched for one but havent had any luck locating one.

thanks

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I would have a shop do it as long as they dont scratch your wheel.

·
Registered
193 Posts
modpup said:
is it hard to get the back tire off? i ordered a new tire off the net and it arrives soon. i can save 30 bucks if i take the rim off myself and then take it to the shop to get put on. does anyone have a step by step guide. i searched for one but havent had any luck locating one.

thanks
Are you wanting to know how to take the wheel off the bike or the tire off the rim? If your trying to get the tire off the rim, stop being a cheap ass and have the shop do it, you'll only screw up your rim if you don't have the right equipment. Now to remove the wheel from the bike is a piece of cake assuming you have a solid support for the bike, such as a swing arm stand.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, no i mean taking the tire off the bike. i am going to let the shop change the tire on the rim.

·
Registered
193 Posts
modpup said:
lol, no i mean taking the tire off the bike. i am going to let the shop change the tire on the rim.
Do you have a swing arm stand???

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
modpup said:

thanks
just loosen the rear axle nut and the adjuster on the side so that the axle can move forward so the chain can slipoff and then take out the axle.the wheel will come right out.make sure you take off the brake caliper first.if that dont help check your manual. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Remove cotter pin. Loosen axle nut. slide chain adjuster all the way in. Push tire forward so you can easily remove the chain. Pull out axle. Cock wheels and remove chain, Move caliper out of the way. Roll tire back and out.

To put rim back on you need to lube axle with lithium grease and hold the tire up with your left foot, while pushing the axle in with your right hand and making sure the spacers dont fall out when they hit the swingarm and caliper. Big pain in the ass sometimes especially if your foot starts to cramp up.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
BNninja said:
To put rim back on you need to lube axle with lithium grease and hold the tire up with your left foot, while pushing the axle in with your right hand and making sure the spacers dont fall out when they hit the swingarm and caliper. Big pain in the ass sometimes especially if your foot starts to cramp up.

yeah, thats the way i do it too....the first time it went right on and i thought, wow that was easy.....the 2nd time, i ate my words...dang spacers wouldnt stay in for anything

1 - 10 of 10 Posts