Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The area around your rear-shock / swingarm ?

It gets pretty gunky there ( chain lube flying around ), and you can get a nice, gunky-rocky mess in lots of crevices around shock body where it goes thru swingarm.

I'd love to just spray a bottle of engine degreaser in there and spray it off.. but something tells me that's a bad idea...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple Green... can I just lather the hell out of the area, and brush it around, and rinse it off?

It isn't going to get into swingarm pivot bearings / shock seals / chain o-rings and de-grease them?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use straight kerosene. Great for cleaning tar and road gunk out of the sprocket covers, engine area, rims and shock. Kerosene doesn't affect the paint or rubber parts. Just need to wipe it down well so things don't get a "haze" from residue.

·
Registered
937 Posts
i just use a spray bottle and shoot the needed area. should come come off with a slight rub.

spray with water and relube needed areas.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
S100 total cycle cleaner (spray bottle not spray can) on a cool wet bike.
It will safely degrease, simple green seems good but no personal experience with it.

http://www.s100.com/s100_tcc.htm

Pricey and worh it, best deal is if you can get a discount on a 5 litre, try our sponsors.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Plexus or Honda spray polish will work very well and it's not harmful to metals, paints, or plastics...

Be very careful of using WD40, degreasers, and other chemicals that may get the gunk off but end up damaging plastics and paints in the process...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not worried so much about damaging paint / metal ( I guess I should be ), I'm more worried about getting degreaser inside the swingarm bearings or the beyond the shock seals.

Re-lubing the swingarm bearings isn't a simple procedure ... at least for me.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
WD-40 will not hurt anything, plastic, metal or whatever. I use it to remove road tar and greese from things with no after effects. Just like with the kerosene you have to wipe it down to get the residual off of the part.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
i just spray simple green like the others, let it sit for a min and the hose it off, rinse and repeat if necessary

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Turtlewax Bug and Tar Remover that comes in a spray bottle works well to clean off chain lube and road tar. I ain't anal about keepin' my bike clean, usually clean out that area when I have a need to remove rear wheel to change tire.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I have been using lately Suzuki Spray on and wash...yeah you read that right.. Suzuki..if I can use that name as my slave to clean my bike I have no problem. It really works as the bottle states. I spray the lower parts(after a light water spray first) like engine, shock, swing arm, wheels and then wash off with a high powered hose to non sensitive parts. Then use my high powered hand blower to rid any water residual sitting. The other parts I clean by hand.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Big Orange

Big Orange made I believe by zep. One of the best cleaners I've used on other things. cuts through grease/liquid asphalt like nothing else (even better than wd-40, diesel ect. price isn't to cheap though. not like any other orange cleaner on the market.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I use/have used a lot of the cleaners mentioned and any of them will do the job. I like WD-40 or bug&tar remover if its really dirty. But since I wash my bikes after each ride I don't have the build-up like some do so I just use a little simple green on one of those "bug remover" sponge thingys and then soap & water like the rest of the bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts