Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious how people on here clean their bikes. Even more so, what about those of you with the '05 Titaniums? It's got that dull thing going on, so is there anything special we're supposed to do? Or just good old soap and water? any waxing? :dontknow:

G

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
EL D will tell you to use that special Draino stuff...Or is it Zaino...:dontknow:

I use the Kawi spray polish, combined with the degreaser for the tougher stuff, and it works fine. after that I use the Eagle One spray on wax. Dont do your seat or tank with that wax though, unless you dont mind sliding around everywhere while your riding...

I've heard the Honda polish works very well too...

I wouldn't recomend using a hose and bucket method on a bike...but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I use a chamois..thats it.. For the wheels I use a wet towel with water only.
after a good ride I drape a wet chamois over the front end of the bike and let it sit for a few minutes then the bugs just wipe right off. the only thing that requires any real attention on my bike is the rear wheel on the chain side.. it gets the occasional fling off thing going on over there. a little all purpose cleaner and a towel takes care of that too.

The Bike specific polishes are WAYYYY overpriced IMO. I use Mcquires NXT generation wax for a polish when needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I've used Zaino on cars and that stuff works real well. There's no problem using regular car wax on the bike plastics?

Why not use the soap and bucket method on a bike? Just get in there with a wet cloth and use some elbow grease to clean it?

G

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
_G_ said:
Yea, I've used Zaino on cars and that stuff works real well. There's no problem using regular car wax on the bike plastics?

Why not use the soap and bucket method on a bike? Just get in there with a wet cloth and use some elbow grease to clean it?

G
I just dont particularly like the idea of throwing a bunch of water on my bike...although I have rode it through the rain more than once.

I dont know...

It just seems wrong to see pressurized water sprayed on a bike...I think it will get in the electronics somehow...

Also, it leaves water spots...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Soap and water bucket works for me. If you ride like I do-( in nice, hot CA )-and get bugs all over your bike, go ahead and wipe 'em off. We've got dust, wind, bugs, etc. hitting our bikes with more force than what we're gonna use to clean it off.
+1 on the wet rag idea, though I'll try that. The Rain-X wax in the blue spray bottle hasn't given me any problems and won't leave water spots.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Have to try the wet chamois to remove the flying critters. Should have thought of that, seeing that H2O is the universal solvent.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
By-Tor said:
+1

I wash my bike once or twice a year and WD-40 works great to clean all the chain lube off the rear wheel and break up bug guts and road tar.
Once or twice a year?

I'm very particular about keeping things clean, especially my vehicles. Soap and bucket has worked for every bike I've ever owned. Just don't spray the water directly at the instrument panel or ram air ducts. After that, use a good polish if it's been a while. Then put a coat of good wax on to keep the paint looking new and it also makes bugs and whatever easier to get off.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
:+1: on the WD-40, I don't spray it on but get a little on a clean rag and wipe the grime off. Simple Green works great also. Spray it down real good have a beer or 2 and wash it off. After that I blow dry it with compressed air thru a flexible hose I rigged up on an air nozzle, the tubing is soft to avoid accidental scratches. I use a quick wax spray most of the time and Dupont's Teflon wax once in a while. The wet chamois on the front end works great and a wet paper towel across your helmet shield will loosen the bug guts so you don't scratch it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
this is no joke, youre gonna think i'm nuts but i've been using pledge furniture polish for years. it will take grease off!learned it from harley guy. try it you'll be amazed.i use it on a 05 ti(great for my ti slip on too)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Plexus and Zaino... Enough said. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Dude, wash the damn thing any way you want, as long as it gets clean. I use a nice bucket filled with meguires gold car wash soap, wash mit. i spray the bike down, do a once over, rinsing all the time. then i spray wd-40 around the chain area and under belly area and the inside there, let it sit for a bit, spray the rims down with eagle rim cleaner. i then spray the hell out of the wd-40'd area, and wipe with my rim mit the rims, then take wd-40 to the rims with a towel, and it leaves a nice blackness to it and cleans it even more. Then i go over the plastics with a synthetic spray polish after I clean her, only do it though when i have time, havent since i moved. As i am drying her, i start her up, let the bike REALLY get hot, fan kicks in and all, let the water evaporate everywhere and blow it out of the exhasut and crap. About a 30-45min total job. Just a wipe down inbetween good wash's if i feel like it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I use blue coral car wash and a chenille mitt..... to take the swirl marks out of the tank and whatnot I use meguiars 3 step system.. the cleaner, polish, and wax....put those 3 on with terrycloth and buff with microfibers.....that's also what I use on my new car.... If I feel like really cleaning the bike or car, I'll use a claybar after washing and before meguiars 3 step... If there is grime flung up under the rear fender or bug guts on the front, the claybar will generally take it off but sometimes I havta use gunks bug and tar remover...that stuff rocks!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts