Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
You can use an internal bearing puller OR you can tap them out using a long extension from the other side of the wheel, normally a generous amount of heat around the hub will loosen them up enough for a tap out.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I have just removed the wheels from my 2006 10 and I now need to remove the bearings. Hopefully you guys can help.
yes in the absence of a bearing puller one must improvise like a caveman, ie hammer and a 16" tapered punch.

Slide the punch into and through one bearing and down through the spacer all the way to the opposite bearing and push the spacer to one side so that it exposes the inner race of the opposite bearing and place the tip onto the race with solid contact and strike it with medium force, move punch 1/4 way and strike again, move yet another 1/4 way and strike again and continue this so that the bearing begins working its way out as straight as possible. at some point you'll need to raise the wheel to allow the bearing to fall out so devise a way for this as you continue your caveman technique. Once one bearing is out the removal of the other is pretty straight forward.

BD

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yes in the absence of a bearing puller one must improvise like a caveman, ie hammer and a 16" tapered punch.

Slide the punch into and through one bearing and down through the spacer all the way to the opposite bearing and push the spacer to one side so that it exposes the inner race of the opposite bearing and place the tip onto the race with solid contact and strike it with medium force, move punch 1/4 way and strike again, move yet another 1/4 way and strike again and continue this so that the bearing begins working its way out as straight as possible. at some point you'll need to raise the wheel to allow the bearing to fall out so devise a way for this as you continue your caveman technique. Once one bearing is out the removal of the other is pretty straight forward.

BD
A BD...one hell of a detail description!:crackup: I really appreciate the info and it worked. Thanks! Oh, one last thing is that you in your Avatar or is that Nicky Haden?:dontknow:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I am actually removing the bearing to have the wheels PCed. I hope I came use the same bearings when finished?
mmmmmmmmm you should replace with new as the potential for damage in this removal technique is medium.

I had low resistance bearings installed after having mine PC'd and i was pleased with the diff between the OEM and new ones.

BD

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
mmmmmmmmm you should replace with new as the potential for damage in this removal technique is medium.

I had low resistance bearings installed after having mine PC'd and i was pleased with the diff between the OEM and new ones.

BD
BD. How do you go about ordering low resistance bearings. Never heard of them???

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
ALSO when reinstalling your new bearings aka seramics place them in the frig for about 1/2 an hour and heat the wheel up. it helps!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Two things....

1st: Thanks to BD for putting ease to my mind for what I was about to do anyways..

2nd: Can the bearing be reused? Or should I just go ahead and get new ones? I only have 6600 miles on the bike.

BD

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
"NO".."do not reuse"...save yerself the headaches of haveing a damaged bearing...

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
The Hub should come off by just pulling it off.. The bearing in the hub will still need to be pushed out after removing the snap ring..

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The Hub should come off by just pulling it off.. The bearing in the hub will still need to be pushed out after removing the snap ring..
Thanks, I got it, no need for you to take them out this weekend!

I ended up buying bearings from www.bearingworks.com they were very helpful and hooked me up with the bearings I needed.

I will be writing a how-to with in a week or so about bearing replacement....... stay tuned.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
Thanks, I got it, no need for you to take them out this weekend!

I ended up buying bearings from www.bearingworks.com they were very helpful and hooked me up with the bearings I needed.

I will be writing a how-to with in a week or so about bearing replacement....... stay tuned.

let us know the part #s edouble:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts