Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

How do you all think they made/installed these LED's in the wheels? Ive looked around and found cheap little kits that look nothing like this and mount in the wheels wells. But these look like they are coming from the rotors?? And they are extremely bright!! Im not looking at buying/installing these on anything I have and dont care if you dont like them thats not the point of this thread. Im curious how if you know how they are actually doing this or what they are using??

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Well, they are definitely mounted to the rims. They spin with the wheels. There's probably some sort of slip-ring arrangement to get power to them. Similar to how the armature in a motor works. That's what I would think.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything I find says coming 2012, cant find em anywhere. I'll keep looking, my buddies got a nice caddy with wheels and wants em

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Can't really help you out on sourcing them. Never seen them before. I've seen similar, but it would fall into the "cheap" category.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't really help you out on sourcing them. Never seen them before. I've seen similar, but it would fall into the "cheap" category.
Thats what im finding too, I figured if I could figure out how they are mounting/wiring them and what LED's they are using I could just make some for him...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Thats what im finding too, I figured if I could figure out how they are mounting/wiring them and what LED's they are using I could just make some for him...
You probably could. It wouldn't seem that hard to do once you figure out the slip ring arrangement for power. Run the wires down the axle and then to the slip ring to transfer power through the rotational axis. It's done all the time. What comes to mind is an arrangement like on airplane propellers where there's electric heating elements on the prop blades. The prop turns and there's a couple of wires that run around a stationary loop. That's how they get power out there while the prop rotates.

Then you just run the LEDs in the rims. Once you get the power transfer figured out, the rest is pretty simple. At least it would seem so. In practice, getting it look good and light up with the light directed properly might take some time.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Those don't look bad. I wonder if they're battery operated with the RF control box. That's obviously the easiest method, but would require batteries. Eh, for $200 bucks it might be worth getting that kit and using it as-is or mod it to suit your needs.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those don't look bad. I wonder if they're battery operated with the RF control box. That's obviously the easiest method, but would require batteries. Eh, for $200 bucks it might be worth getting that kit and using it as-is or mod it to suit your needs.
Yeah $200 isnt terrible, I sent my buddy the link we will see what he does

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Brightness will depend on how its applied (over light or dark color, mixed in the color, mixed in a clear over a color etc...) :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Now who wants there rims done :lol:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Sick Glow In The Dark Rims On BMW 7 Series! - YouTube

How do you all think they made/installed these LED's in the wheels? Ive looked around and found cheap little kits that look nothing like this and mount in the wheels wells. But these look like they are coming from the rotors?? And they are extremely bright!! Im not looking at buying/installing these on anything I have and dont care if you dont like them thats not the point of this thread. Im curious how if you know how they are actually doing this or what they are using??
There was an episode of inside westcoast customs. Check out the TRON Audi R8 episode. They made a ring around the disk brakes and attached the LED's, though these LED's are brighter than the ones in the show.

Brightness will depend on how its applied (over light or dark color, mixed in the color, mixed in a clear over a color etc...) :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Now who wants there rims done :lol:

:drool: i want a set!... very nicely done :clap:

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Don't know but here is my speculation.

1. battery powered with a switch activated by rotation of the wheel (centrifugal) There are some air valve caps you can get that light up when the bike is rolling (I think they are called "fireflys)

2. magneto voltage generation. Mount a powerful perm magnet on the break caliper. Install a coil and LED on the rim where it will pass near the magnet. As the wheel rotates, the coils pass by the magnet and generate voltage... the LED lights... if you put a small capacitor in the system you can keep the LED lit for a short period of time.

Slip rings work well, but are for higher current, they need brushes and they need to be clean (don't know if they would last long in the dirt, water, mud, salt, brake dust of the rim/wheel enviroment.

also note... they will most likely be unlawful for street operation...

but got to say, wayyyyy kewl

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Yea those arent powdercoated, theyre LEDs, but like said before, they have to be battery powered. look them up on allthingschrome.com they have some on a gsxr and a couple other bikes, and look sweet!

PEARL: I thought abt getting my wheels done with the glow powder, but then during the day, that yellow i dont like. Wouldve been nice if they had the green i have now that was also glow in the dark

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Why does it have to be that complicated. Wouldn't like a mirror finish on the inside of the wheels with a light disc setup behind the caliper/rotor assembly pointing to the wheels be able to pull that off with no mechanic or rotating components?

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
It would work, but it wouldn't be as "all around" like the vid... a light on the caliper or some other place would look like a single light, not the full circumfrence...

what makes that look like the full wheel is lit is the fact that the light source is in motion and the eye/brain make the light into a "trail"

but looking at it again, even at slow speed, they are bright and continuously lit...

got to be a battery, or some kind of Magneto with battery/cap resevour...

only problem I can see is I would like some way to turn them off from inside the car...

but they are pretty damn blingy... guys used to do "cloud" lights under the car and give you the impression the vehicle was on a cushion of light... this is kinda TRON'ish but still some brains went into getting it to work.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
A questioned asked on the ebay page:
How long are the led strips? Also what is the installation process for these? How is power transmitted to the led's?

Response:
Due to the patent pending I can not tell all details about this kit at this time. The LEDs do not mount on the rims, they don't touch the rim at all. These kits are made to fit rims of 20" or bigger. They are pretty universal and I haven't seen any car, truck, van, suv etc....that they do not fit on. Anything under a 20" rim I can make custom sizes. As far as the installation, it normally takes 1-2 hours but that would also depend on the technicians skill. A installation guide is included in the kit and is very easy to follow. As listed, many different colors are available: white, red, blue, green, yellow, orange, pink and purple. The system is controlled by a wireless remote system and is very simple to install. Any other questions please feel free to ask. Your satisfaction is my up most concern. You'll be very happy with one of these new head turning Wheel Light kits they are much much brighter than anything like it. Thanks for the inquiry.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
well there's the answer right there, "neon" type LED strips mounted to the axle/hub, no brushes or slip rings, no magneto

(thinking "good, now I can make my magneto verson with out worry about copyright infringment")

1 - 20 of 29 Posts