Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Recently moved from a 2008 cbr1krr to a 2015 ZX10R. Love it so far. It’s stock, I will be installing a graves or yosh 3/4 soon.

Coming from CBR, a power commander made a night and day difference. Stock it was peaky and anemic to the point of not being much fun. I wasn’t chasing more power, but smooth delivery.

Been reading all that I can. I gather a the PCV is not a large improvement alone, and Woolich/FTECU or mail-in makes a definite difference for the track. Is it a must do for street riding? Gaining some low/mid sounds appealing for occasional city riding.

Thanks!

GL

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Trust me you will do it for the power. It's ridiculous how much the Gen4 gains with a good flash...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes. It's the 1st mod I'd recommend doing. So many benefits even beyond the extra power. A big one for me was being able to turn the TC off while in motion. It'll also remove the warning light you get after ditching the exhaust valve servo and catalytic converter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Do we have a consensus on FTECU / Woolich / mail in (Guhl still king?)?

·
Registered
454 Posts
+1 on a flash... you at least want to flash the euro map. i run woolich on my gen 4 2013 with log box and auto tune. woolich customer support is awesome also if you have problems or questions with there hardware/software.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Graves Ti mid/link inbound.

-1/+2 inbound.

Still deciding on a path for the flash. Torn between mail in and ftecu/Woolich but not sure why I’d want to flash back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes. It's the 1st mod I'd recommend doing. So many benefits even beyond the extra power. A big one for me was being able to turn the TC off while in motion. It'll also remove the warning light you get after ditching the exhaust valve servo and catalytic converter.
I've got a 2017 and flashed via Woolich, how does one change the TC setting while rolling?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Send it to 2 Wheel DynoWorks. He uses Woolich but is the best out there for mail in flashes, each flash is custom built to the mods on the bike, it's not just a flat canned flash.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm on my third gen 4 zx-10r, the first two (circa 112,000 kms across them) had PCVs and this third one, which has done circa 147,000 kms, has had a Woolich flash from close to day one.

All of these bikes are for street use, with occasional track days.

Night and day. Simply night and day. I would never not flash a future bike.

Of the two options, mail in vs self flash I'd always go with self flash. Why? Because you can flash it back at the drop of a hat, you can tweak it as much as you want to perfect your own unique tune. Two bikes coming out of the factory next to each other will require different tuning, that's just the way the world works. No two bikes ever benefit from exactly the same fuelling. Doing that is always a compromise. Useful too if you get an EPA type notice too. And if God forbid something happens to your ECU in the mail then you'll be up for a world of cost with a new immobilizer etc.

So. Go self flash. Is it hard, no. I've written several articles on how to use this, these are stickies on Justin's Woolich Racing Forum and are also hosted on my personal not for profit rider website https://www.arcnineohnine.com (hint, under "articles"), direct links below.

Right, now you've decided to self flash with Woolich, what will you get out of it? As near to a perfect tune as you want. Removal of fuel cut on decel, one of the very worst things ever done to our bikes, no need to add block off plates (which are seriously fiddly and very time consuming to install), no need for a resister pack to allow removal of the exhaust exup valve and perfect fuelling. So what? Perfect fuelling, who cares? To give you an idea my 2nd gen 4 with PCV would get a *maximum* of 200kms to a tank, my current one gets 240-280kms to a tank. What else? Smoothness. A beautiful tune lends itself to a beautifully smooth throttle feel.

Have a look at

https://www.arcnineohnine.com/so-you-want-your-bike-tuned/

https://www.arcnineohnine.com/autotune-for-dummies/

https://www.arcnineohnine.com/autotune-for-dummies-what-makes-good-data/

and

https://www.arcnineohnine.com/autotune-settings/

Happy to answer questions on this as I've been there since Justin released his very first flashing kit for the gen 4 zx-10r over six years ago. I prefer to answer questions in a public forum so that others can benefit.

Arc NineOhNine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fantastic info. Thanks arc! Looks like the Woolich site is the only place to order from?

Graves going on tonight which I understand is fine for awhile pre-tune?

Planning to with -1 front for street and save the +2 for later.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Anything that allows more air in or less restriction for exhaust gases out dictates a tune. Your bike won't implode but your exhaust valves will run hotter and could be damaged. FTR I like having an AFR display too, I use the hacker/tweaker board, so that I can be 100% confident during tuning that I'm not sitting in dangerous fuelling territory.

A.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts