Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm upgrading from an 03 GSXR 600 and have $5k to spend. Initially I was looking at an 05/06 636 or 04-06 GSXR 750, but I have found several 04/05 zx10r, 02-04 R1, 03-06 GSXR 1000, and a couple 04 CBR 1000 for around $5k in pretty good shape. This will be my 3rd bike (my first was an 06 GS500) but it's still my first year riding even though I have several thousand miles so far. I think I can handle a liter bike, but I worry about looping the bike while wheeling or launching and highsiding out of corner. I figure it would be easier to downgrade or trade for a 750 if I feel it's too powerful and that I would probably get bored of a 636's acceleration.

So I would like to hear about others' experience upgrading to the zx10r, how it compares to these other bikes I mentioned, and just how really powerful the throttle is and how long it takes to get used to it. Any input would be appreciated, especially if you have first hand experience with all these bikes. This will be my daily driver in all conditions except snowy/sandy winter days in CT. I have taken the MSF and am signed up for Kieth Code's superbike school next month at Thunderbolt raceway with aspirations to race in the future. I will probably do an occasional track day with this bike, but eventually I will have a dedicated 600cc track bike next year.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
just dont act stupid with it, take ur time with it and learn how the bike reacts, if u loop it its because you got careless with the bike. its all in the wrist.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Buy a GSXR 1000 05 or 06. That way when your doing wheelies people can go oh he's on a Squidster 1000 it's ok then.

Sorry just poking fun but really they are great bikes to own. Get the one that fits the best and be done with it because you will never know the dif.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You can get a long swingarm just so you can get used to the power then take it off once you're used to it. =)

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 10 was my first bike.....................Im still here and so is she

I have an 2005 zx10 and absolutely love the damn thing and im thinking about buying another one same year and hopefulley same color. I played around on a couple 6s but never owned one and when i do ride them I get annoyed with it. Ever think about driving entirely through town to include some highway time and never really have to shift once? Its top speed in 1st gear is enough to get a nice ride in a police car. im not going to try to influence you either way ........ sit on a 10 and see how she feels also look for some basic mods (steel brakelines, steering dampner)

Okay now stop thinking ...........DO IT !!! :heyyou:

you wont regret it....... and if you do buy a silver gen one and let me know when your done ill buy her off of you :thumbsup:

Join the clan:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have an 2005 zx10 and absolutely love the damn thing and im thinking about buying another one same year and hopefulley same color. I played around on a couple 6s but never owned one and when i do ride them I get annoyed with it. Ever think about driving entirely through town to include some highway time and never really have to shift once? Its top speed in 1st gear is enough to get a nice ride in a police car. im not going to try to influence you either way ........ sit on a 10 and see how she feels also look for some basic mods (steel brakelines, steering dampner)

Okay now stop thinking ...........DO IT !!! :heyyou:

you wont regret it....... and if you do buy a silver gen one and let me know when your done ill buy her off of you :thumbsup:

Join the clan:eek:ccasion1
:+1:my first bike. besides dirtbikes

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Love my Bloo Angel so much that I'll probably never get rid of her. She is crazy fast even in stock form so be mindful of that when you twist her jiblet...

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
You won't have a problem as long as you don't ham fist the throttle.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
The 04/05's are super crazy powerful. :welcome: to the forum.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I upgraded from an 03 636 to an 04 zx10 it was awsome, you will need to show some respect to this bike especially when you first get it. With that said though all sport bikes are easy to get hurt on,just use your best judgement no matter what you ride and you will be fine.:badteeth:

·
Registered
778 Posts
08 10r was my first bike and all it took for me was just a lil respect but no i race it and the whole nine yards but i still respect it to the max...never rode a gen 1 but it says Kawi so it has to be fast

Go green or go home is what i like to say lol

·
Registered
281 Posts
You are fine you are worried about looping it and that means you respect it. Its the idiots that dont that crash.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My progression: various dirt bikes -> KZ650 when I was 19 -> '96 Bandit 600 -> '97 ZX-7R -> '04 ZX-10R.

The decision to buy the 10r was made after sitting on one at a bike show. The decision to buy the particular one I own was made about 10 feet into the test ride. I own a 2004 with 35,xxx miles on the clock, it's 2009, and the next bike I would buy is a 04/05 zx10r. This is because I have no trouble topping out right beside the CBR1Ks and R1s w/ all the expensive mods that I ride with, and my 10r is bone stock except for the Area P slipon.

I mean, it's ridiculous. When I get home after a 350-mile ride in the mountains of WV, I pull off the suit, grab a beer, and just sit and stare at my bike. When I daydream, I think of Kawasaki reissuing the gen1 10r, just like it was originally. Perfection was achieved in the gen1.

·
Registered
101 Posts
you won't know till you ride one..... and when you do.....:deathmeta:deathmeta:deathmeta

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will say make sure you get accustomed to the bike before you start doing anything with it, the first time I cracked the throttle I wasn't expecting what happened, lol.

·
Registered
531 Posts
:+2: on the respect!!! Respect the bike and you will very happy!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts