Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it is some sort of erasable memory or flash memory it is possable to rewrite the code. First step is, find out what kind of format the code is written in (binary, hexidecimal etc). Second, disifer spelling??, the code and find out what portion of the code you are looking at to find the parameter you want to change. Then find the hardware to program your chip. Next make adjustments to the board itself to make the chip removable (some sort of socket). Last learn to write the code and find all the logic involved in the parameter you are trying to change, write the code onto the chip.

·
Registered
95 Posts
what you're looking for is going to be an EPROM. Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. basically a 'chip' for short. most of the exhaust manufacturers offer them, and in my experience they're virtually worthless.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The race ecu's for the ZX6 and I presume ZX10 can be changed, BUT they are in blocks. You cannot go in and change 40% throttle at 6000rpm, you can only do it as a whole from up yto 20% throttle, then from 40-80% and then 100%. Why bother?, cheaper to get the PC and get it done right.

·
Registered
158 Posts
But there are alot of other advantages to programing your own code in the ECU. The bike has a clutch switch and a rev limiter.. which means that when the clutch is engaged the ECU could be programed to have the rev limiter at lets say 8K RPM, so you get consitance launch.. soon as clutch is released.. boom back up to 13k. Another advantage woudl be the timing map that is used.. they are saved to bits which means that you can modify each timing slot in the table. You could have a sequence of events that have to be performed in order for the bike to start.. and the list goes on... IFFFF you know how to program and disifer the original code.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
BTW Yvanlover, TBerd is pretty well known around the motorcycle forums to be a dipshit troll and pot-stirrer. I, personally, would be inclined to doubt every word typed by him unless he has concrete proof to back it up, but that's just me.
If you want to know about remapping the stock Ecu, you need to talk to Marc Salvisberg at Factory Pro here in San Rafael, CA they were working on a tool similiar to the TEKA tool for our ZX10's last year, but I haven't talked to them in a while about it. Let us know what he says if you call.

Here you go:
(800) 869-0497 Voice - Toll Free US and Canada)
(415) 491-5920 Voice
fax 415 492-8803

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Some race teams here were using the race-kit ECU with a PowerCommander piggybacked on top of it. They did it this way because the race-kit ECU gave them at least some access to functions not available at all in the PowerCommander, but the PowerCommander gave more flexibility with the fuel mapping ...

·
Registered
158 Posts
There is no doubt about it, the PC is the most efficient way to tune fuel. Each time you want to make an adjustment you would have to pull the ECU and take it apart pull the chip, reburn the chip and install, not to mention rewrite teh code.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Snoop, the race kit ecu is flashable in the box on the bike with the PC software, kind of like the PCIII, but unlike the PCIII, the race kit goodies are like $2k

·
Registered
363 Posts
ZX10dancies said:
what you're looking for is going to be an EPROM. Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. basically a 'chip' for short. most of the exhaust manufacturers offer them, and in my experience they're virtually worthless.
Um, no. Ecus nowadays don't use chips that are removeable. You re-flash them, either by sending them away to someone who knows how and has the correct hardware, or by yourself, using a pc (not a power commander) or something like a teka tool.

I've been trying to talk to Mark at FactoryPro for some time now and get no answer, not even a machine, to answer this question. If anyone does, please post the answer. I did see Tberds comments about what he "did" but will believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
gladding24 said:
Snoop, the race kit ecu is flashable in the box on the bike with the PC software, kind of like the PCIII, but unlike the PCIII, the race kit goodies are like $2k
Yah i realize this , but the thread is on a stock ECU. :wink:

·
Registered
477 Posts
who is Tberd? Me? lol I obviously know a fair bit more about all this than Snoopy does. haha if you don't believe me, you can check out my site at www.doinbikes.com.au . I've mapped bikes for Ducati Australia, Anthony Gobert, and many of the privateer supersport bikes that are top 3 in this years series. You believe what you will, but i'm just trying to make sure you guys get all the right info. You can believe whoever you want.

·
Registered
95 Posts
10rmotor said:
Um, no. Ecus nowadays don't use chips that are removeable.
if what you say is true then the ZX10's are lower tech than i originally thought. my Mille at one point had a removable Arrow EPROM in it. sounds like Kawi is jewing people into buying their shit. the ECU modification for the Aprilia from Factory Pro IS an EPROM.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok, chevy/gm/etc don't use proms. Bmw (cars at least, probly bikes too) don't use proms. I opened up a ducati ecu (either 750 or 999) and no prom. Zx10r no prom. Same with GSXR1K. Are there other bikes that (still) use them - probably. I was speaking specifically about the 10r, which you list as one of your bikes, so you oughta know - show me the prom in that. Yes, they were used in the past, for sure, currently if they still are they are dwindling. I think there is a prom in the black box of the original 10, but thats almost 20 years old.

As for who is tberd, look here. Also note he hasn't backed up his claims.
http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33127

·
Registered
477 Posts
You CAN get chips for the Ducs and Aprilias, but again, they are a 1 map suits all deal, and they simply don't do the job.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
ZX10dancies said:
if what you say is true then the ZX10's are lower tech than i originally thought. my Mille at one point had a removable Arrow EPROM in it. sounds like Kawi is jewing people into buying their shit. the ECU modification for the Aprilia from Factory Pro IS an EPROM.

Wow holy racist talk!!!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
ZX10dancies said:
sounds like Kawi is jewing people into buying their shit. the ECU modification for the Aprilia from Factory Pro IS an EPROM.
Explain "jewing" bunghole.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Birdman said:
You CAN get chips for the Ducs and Aprilias, but again, they are a 1 map suits all deal, and they simply don't do the job.
agreed. such is my point. 'jewing' seemed the term to fit the sentence best..its obviously not intended as a racial slur since race has nothing to do with this topic. :rolleyes:

for those who'd rather an edited vagina-friendly version 'jewing' is read 'kawi is forcing you to buy their shit by not making ECU's tuner friendly'.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts