Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decide to share my stupidest riding ever.

I use distilled water in my bike always.and I totally forget that I let my buddy drained the water out for me in the winter.so there is nearly no water in the engine.

I push my bike out of garage,fired up,wait few minutes to see 175 F showed in the gauge,and then,I take riding for the gasoline.

Maybe after 1 mile riding,I see the temperature rising very quick to 221 F,so I stop the engine,I wait the temperature drop to 190 F and ride for minutes and the temperature go up to 221 F again.I know some thing must wrong,so I stop the engine again,wait for minute to see the temperature go back to 190 F and then go back to home.

There are 3 miles riding total I think,I did not ride hard,rev not above 7K rpm I think.

I did not realize how serious the thing would be at that time.I just fill the radiator,and then go for my first track day.

But I immediately found my bike have overheat problem on the way to the circuit.the temperature reach 230 F on the road,and I have to ride fast to let more wind coming in.

Things become worse ,after 7 laps track riding,the temperature above 239F and I get high temp warning showed in the gauge when I go back pit and shut down engine for a while.I go for another 7 laps in next session, same thing happen.

Now , the temperature will slowly go up constantly even in idle. Fan is OK,water pump seems ok because I see water flow when I take off the radiator cap.I remove the thermostat,the same results.The radiator have over-flow problem if i take the radiator cap off. and I see some oil inside radiator.I assume that I blew the head gasket already.

I am depressed now,although I did not notice power lose in the track,but I do notice that I need fire 2 or 3 times to start the engine.I usually only need one fire.I don't know how bad my engine was inside now. and I am not sure,even I assume the engine run fine after head gasket change,how long this engine can stand for the track use.also,did I blew the water pump seal?

Sorry for the long story,any input will be much appreciate!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Did I miss year of bike? Someone can elaborate but I think that temp your reading is supposed to be from coolant, and there is none so imo it got a lot hotter than the indicated temp.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you are wrong ,but I agree with you,no water in the radiator.and the water temperature sensor is not suit for air.
There must lot hotter than 221F in fact,or it will not blew head gasket I think.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Aluminum engines do not like running without coolant.

Almost certainly the head gasket is blown.

The cylinder head needs to be measured for warpage and resurfaced if necessary. The gasket probably blew because the cylinder head warped from the excessive heat.

Inspect the condition of the cylinder walls and valve seats carefully. The problem with the valve seats is that they're steel, and aluminum expands faster than steel. The valve seats are pressed in ... but severe overheating could release the press-fit.

Any time any of my bikes is in a condition where it "looks" OK but something critical is missing - like engine oil, or coolant - I always put a piece of masking tape over the ignition switch and write what the problem is on that tape, e.g. "NO COOLANT" ...

Reactions: Crazi and Turbodc2

·
Registered
966 Posts
I hope you are wrong ,but I agree with you,no water in the radiator.and the water temperature sensor is not suit for air.
There must lot hotter than 221F in fact,or it will not blew head gasket I think.
Def hotter than 221, and head gasket is def blown. is the bike newer? In other words do you have a fortune tied up in it? I always try to replace over fix if the price is even remotely close. In this case I mean whole bike.. You could need that thing torn down pretty far. No coolant in a high compression high rpm motor = major issues. Even in a regular car it won't last but a few miles. My friend daughter crashed, caused little damage but punctured radiator, decided to keep driving and seized engine..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well his headgasket definitely sounds bad.. but 3 miles of riding shouldn't blow his headgasket though? Wouldn't air cooling be enough if he was rolling?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well his headgasket definitely sounds bad.. but 3 miles of riding shouldn't blow his headgasket though? Wouldn't air cooling be enough if he was rolling?
No air doesn't get into engine.. just having it blow around the outside does nothing but keep the very outside a bit cooler. Does nothing for where the real heat is. Heat destroys everything. It's the major factor in the design of well almost everything that any energy is involved. Ie fuel, electric, nuclear, etc. energy is heat. Heat is energy. Can't have one without the other. Some are more efficient than others but heat is a byproduct.. Even as I sit and write this im putting off approximately 400 btu of heat, judt from my body's energy use. Crazy to think about.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
Wow. Yeah you got serious issues now. I agree with what the others have said up to this point. Especially the post about it actually hotter than being shown on the gauge. If the sensor was reading the air temp in the system and it still shows an over heat at 240, you cooked that motor way higher than that. Damn. Good luck with that rebuild.

·
The Pace
7,044 Posts
255f I think is the top temp for the g4. Here's my solution: change oil to amsoil syn and their filter and just beat the crap outta that bike and see what it says. I'm serious. Then I'd report back here what the bike says.

If it's a g4, it'll take it.

edit: I busted a radiator on the '11 and ran it home HARD for 70 miles. Temps were high, like 240f or so when slow. Steam misting around me at every red light. The smell of nasty coolant at every stop. White dried coolant all over the engine and all over my monkey suit. Next day found out zero coolant in the engine. Put water in it and did nothing else and that engine ran SOLID under hard conditions for next 20k miles or so until I blew up a piston bearing.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Well we have a diagnosis of a definite head gasket from one person. We have a diagnosis of just put in amsoil and run it from another person.

I am so glad I do not need any actual help or advice from this site.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I can't imagine you damaged your engine. If you damaged it from overheating there would be a lot more indicators than just your temperature rising. I am just curious if you might have an air pocket in your cooling system after filling it back up? Did you check it after riding a while and have to add more water?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can't imagine you damaged your engine. If you damaged it from overheating there would be a lot more indicators than just your temperature rising. I am just curious if you might have an air pocket in your cooling system after filling it back up? Did you check it after riding a while and have to add more water?
He has oil in his radiator..
Now he has to not only change the head gasket but send the head to a machine shop to check if its cracked. Or get a new engine..

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Now he has to not only change the head gasket but send the head to a machine shop to check if its cracked. Or get a new engine..
Oh shit, I missed that! There's the indicator I was looking for. :) Sorry! I got distracted and apparently didn't read the last part of the post.

·
The Pace
7,044 Posts
We don't know what bike and know zero about the rider and probably translation problems.

But we have facts and the REPORTED temps are NOT a problem, for several reasons that I covered and that I experienced on the g4.

And rider is 'depressed?' wtf? g4 is a fookin race MACHINE and designed to have its ass kicked. Bunch of stuff going on and we certainly don't have the story.

A bike site is simply not a feel good support groupie thingie but a place to go to sort out whatever problems that comes up with riders that own the same machine. geez.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We don't know what bike and know zero about the rider and probably translation problems.

But we have facts and the REPORTED temps are NOT a problem, for several reasons that I covered and that I experienced on the g4.

And rider is 'depressed?' wtf? g4 is a fookin race MACHINE and designed to have its ass kicked. Bunch of stuff going on and we certainly don't have the story.

A bike site is simply not a feel good support groupie thingie but a place to go to sort out whatever problems that comes up with riders that own the same machine. geez.
If oil is in your radiator you're fucked. That's another reason why I don't use oil.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
We were on a hard back road ride and came to a stop sign and a buddy pointed under my bike (one of my ZX6Rs). I had a thick milk shake spewing out under the bike. My boots were covered and my rear tire was covered with oil/water sludge. I can't figure out how I didn't go down but it must have just happened on the straight right before the stop sign. My oil cooler cracked internally and all the oil went into my cooling system which pushed all the water and fluid out the overflow. Oil pressure light was on and my temp was maxed. Was a long way from home too (couple hundred miles). Had to have my boy come get me with the truck. Took me a while to figure out where the problem was. I figured either the seal between the water pump and oil pump or a head gasket. I changed the seal on the water pump and it didn't fix it. Luckily someone told me to check the oil cooler and sure enough that is where the problem was. But, this is obviously a different situation.

·
The Pace
7,044 Posts
He SAYS oil in rad, BUT the temp reports and power reports show otherwise. We still do not know all of what happened. Or we have YET another troll just kicking up dust. If temp was WAY high and Power loss present and oil in rad we have enough to go on. Nope, a troll or simply translation problem and not able to communicate. He has not offered what fake 10r he has! And look at the story. rides without water for a couple miles then goes to a track? He flies the Marxist flag! geeeeeeeeez

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a lot for everyone's inputs.Sorry for my poor english.My bike was Gen3 10r.I ride 3 miles with empty radiator.but after that,I put the water in it,and go for track.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Thanks a lot for everyone's inputs.Sorry for my poor english.My bike was Gen3 10r.I ride 3 miles with empty radiator.but after that,I put the water in it,and go for track.
Don't worry, your easier to understand than the girl guide.

It sounds like you've got some pretty serious issues and I'd be dropping the motor to have it properly inspected or inspecting it yourself if you have the tools.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts