Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any helpful information regarding the Houston area; possibly moving there soon. I probably won't know until June if I got a position I applied for with my company, but before I accept any offer I want to get some info. Last year I almost relocated to the DFW area and was actually trying to work this position from the DFW area, but after I was told I could, now I'm told they want it worked from Houston. Here are some questions, but feel free to let me know any other pertinent information regarding the area:

Are there any areas of new development with brand new houses being built?
If so, is it a good neighborhood?
How much does a decent size 3-4 bedroom brand new home go for?
What areas should I avoid?
How much is property taxes (average)?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey me too!!!! Lots of development....it's a buyers market.
lot's of nice places. Every body says stay away from the city!
The further away has less taxes....

go to HAR.COM for house search..

Have been going their for the last three summers...
working on the move my self.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only been there 3 times and haven't been able to see much, it's always been short business trips. It's going to definitely be a culture shock for me, I've been in San Diego and California for over 20 years, I love the coast and life style out here. It's not a given yet, but I just want to get some information that I'll use to influence my decision if the position is offered to me (it's about 50/50 right now, it's pretty much between me and one more candidate that happens to live in Texas already, so she's got a slight advantage). I checked Centex homes and the houses definitely seem to be cheaper than the DFW area. Thanks for the site, I'll check it out as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My father is a retired Marine. I'v lived in Pendleton, El Torro, and 29Palms.
Always loved the westcoast. Still visit friends in Manhattan Beach and in
Pendleton. I prefer Cali but Houstons cheaper to live and the company I
work for Houston is the main Hub. Continental Airlines.

Lot's of coworkers transferd to Houston and no real complaints.
It's flat and humid compared to Cali.

If you have a friend that lives in Houston and can show you around it probably would
help a little.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My father is a retired Marine. I'v lived in Pendleton, El Torro, and 29Palms.
Always loved the westcoast. Still visit friends in Manhattan Beach and in
Pendleton. I prefer Cali but Houstons cheaper to live and the company I
work for Houston is the main Hub. Continental Airlines.

Lot's of coworkers transferd to Houston and no real complaints.
It's flat and humid compared to Cali.

If you have a friend that lives in Houston and can show you around it probably would
help a little.
Would you recommend living in Cypress?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Houstonian here. I would recommend the NW side of town. Seems to really be booming. I live in the Tomball area, but a few miles north there are some new developments and communites. Or hell, you can buy my house!

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
You're leaving SoCal, anywhere you go is a step down except for the cost of living. :lol: If I ever have the cash flow necassary to live there, I'm moving out your way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ironman,

Cypress is ok, Have a really good friend living in Cypresswood Green Sub.
Been visiting him every summer also. But should also look into youre work
location, traffic could determind what area to live? Realy nice places everwear.

1mean10,
Have a friend living in Princeton Place Sub. Tomball, are you by thier?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ironman,

Cypress is ok, Have a really good friend living in Cypresswood Green Sub.
Been visiting him every summer also. But should also look into youre work
location, traffic could determind what area to live? Realy nice places everwear.

1mean10,
Have a friend living in Princeton Place Sub. Tomball, are you by thier?

Thanks for the info. I would be working out of my home and mostly traveling outside of Houston; I wouldn't be commuting on a daily basis. That is why I want something on the out-skirts in a nice but reasonably priced area. Looking for a large 4 bedroom house, preferably in new construction in developing area.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So much for this one; I was told today that they are going to look at the local candidates only and if they are not qualified, then they will look outside the region. I guess they are set on saving money instead of having the most qualified candidate for the position (not to say it's me, but they are obviously not interested in finding that out)...

Oh well, I really didn't want to make the move anyway...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've been there when it was humid. If you're a native Californian like me, the humidity could've been a problem for you. On our worst days, it's nowhere near what it was like when I was there.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been there when it was humid. If you're a native Californian like me, the humidity could've been a problem for you. On our worst days, it's nowhere near what it was like when I was there.
Humidity wasn't a problem for me as a teenager growing-up in Puerto Rico, but after 24 years in California, I cannot stand humid climates. I'm actually going to Puerto Rico on Wednesday and plan on going to the Dominican Republic for 5 days as well; I can deal with it for a couple of weeks, but that's taking 3 showers a day. Deep down inside, I am happy I don't have to move to Houston, I really wanted to work it from Dallas and after being told initally that I could, I was later told it was strictly out of Houston, and now I'm not even in the running for the position. This is my second attempt to move to Texas, both times not truly wanting to do it, maybe I should accept the fact that it's not what I want and not try to force myself to do it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I lived in Houston for about 10 yrs and did most of my growing up there. I moved to San antonio about 6 years ago, and Houston IMO has got alot worse since. Crime has gone up, and traffic is beyond ridiculous. If youre going to live there def stay on the outskirts in a gated community if possible. Woodlands, Spring, Friendswood, Pearland, Richmond are all good areas on the outskirts. Prices for homes are good. Since my company has alot of job opportunities there as well ive priced some houses. You can get a really nice 3-4 bdrm 2-3 bath home under 7 yrs old in Spring for 160-180k. Id rather not move back, riding in the city sucks, but since i didnt start riding until i moved to S.A. i dont really know any good spots. On the plus side the do have MSR (the local track) and drag strips within an hour and a half depending on what side of the city youre on. You should take a trip out there before making the big move and see how you like it for yourself. Good luck with the job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts