Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running 10W-40 Dino and have enough for one more oil change, was wanting to go to a 10W-50 next spring but can't find any most are 20w-50, here in S TX when it's over 105....often in summer; that's reaching the upper operating limit of 40w. Anybody in hot weather area's run 20W-50??

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I used to use 20/50 in my air oil Gixxer in Florida, there really isnt any need to go much above 10w/40 unless your temp gauge is going off the scale.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Like FAF said. No need for 50 weight oil in our bikes. :headshake

On top of that, oils with 50 weight when they are hot are usually pretty thick(15, 20) at startup too. And like they say, that's when most of the damage is done. I never run anything with a viscosity value more than 5 in any vehicle we own because of that. 5w40 in the bikes and usually either 0w30 or 5w30 in our cages.

·
Registered
172 Posts

On top of that, oils with 50 weight when they are hot are usually pretty thick(15, 20) at startup too. And like they say, that's when most of the damage is done. I never run anything with a viscosity value more than 5 in any vehicle we own because of that. 5w40 in the bikes and usually either 0w30 or 5w30 in our cages.
:+2: :badteeth: :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thats what i thought, wanted a 5 or 10w-50 but it's hard to find, no problems with the 10-40 just wondered how it held up to the high heat, engine temps are ok but it does run hotter than before i moved.

I'll just stick with the tried and true 10w-40

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

I run the 10-40W up to late summer. Then temps reach over 105 degrees on days and areas where I ride. Then I switch to 15-50W, all because I saw this in the manual. I really don't know if that's where it needs to change or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts