Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or do these bikes blow off tons of heat at your legs? I've owned a lot of bikes and the zx10 seems hotter than the rest by far. Curious if something may be wrong. I'm sure I won't be complaining come the end of Sept.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Yea mine blows out some heat like a oven turned on high too! I just think that's the nature of the beast?:dontknow: I just put some led lites in the openings of the side fairings and all that heat melted the lites! I was like damn this is fawked up! Had the lites drippin like candle wax! :badteeth: :headshake

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Try putting pants on? Your sitting on a mobile engine bay, deal with it or buy a moped.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Funny, I thought my zx10 gets rid of heat without making me hot. Only at the very bottom of my legs do I feel any heat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take it easy K. I have had the bike a few months and it's already spent more time in the shop than a Harley. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with it. I bought the bike with 1,300mi and am already dealing with cracked valve retainers. Doing my homework to make sure I don't have any more problems.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
My first gen is one of the cooler bikes i have owned. They all will get pretty hot, especially sitting in traffic. I dont recall my Suzuki's being too bad, the R1 was hott, and the 954 is very hot as well.

I guess my point is what you are dealing with it quite normal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Take it easy K. I have had the bike a few months and it's already spent more time in the shop than a Harley. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with it. I bought the bike with 1,300mi and am already dealing with cracked valve retainers. Doing my homework to make sure I don't have any more problems.
What kind of problems? something I should be looking for on my 09?

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
The retainer issue has popped up before. Not widespread but I know there's at least a couple others who have had the same problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Valve Retainers Cracking??!!

What happens? drop a valve? how do you know if you have a problem? 08/09 only? Has there been a service recall?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Is it just me, or do these bikes blow off tons of heat at your legs? I've owned a lot of bikes and the zx10 seems hotter than the rest by far. Curious if something may be wrong. I'm sure I won't be complaining come the end of Sept.
Not sure about gen 2's running hot but 3rd gens don't even on the hottest of days.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
I would've thought the 3rd gen would be one of the hottest since it has less side fairings an the engine is more exposed? B/c I know when I rode both of my friends '06 R1 an '06 cbr1k I felt alot heat on my legs from both of their bikes compared to my '06 zx10r. And those 2 bikes have the engine exposed like the 3rd gen 10r.

Not sure about gen 2's running hot but 3rd gens don't even on the hottest of days.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Only real problem I've had with heat was the tank getting excessively hot and burning the inside of my legs some. Of course the temp was probably 110 and the humidity 90% that day, and I got stuck in some ridiculous stop and go traffic.

I was surprised on my first bike, after I rebuilt it I didn't put the fairings back on immediately. When I finally did I found that all the heat was being channeled under the fairings at my legs. Answer, get a nekkid bike.

Den33. I've seen places that make the fake "warning" labels for car stuff but I've never seen those before. You know of anywhere to get that in sticker form?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Mine feels pretty hot when the air temp is up above 85-90 degrees. Doesn't matter if I'm stuck in traffic or moving along at a good clip. The engine temp isn't any higher than normal...usually somewhere between 178-196 when I look down.

The retainer issue has popped up before. Not widespread but I know there's at least a couple others who have had the same problem.
Which reminds me that I need to have that looked at when I get my service done. I'm thinking of just having the retainers replaced whether or not he sees a problem.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I would've thought the 3rd gen would be one of the hottest since it has less side fairings an the engine is more exposed? B/c I know when I rode both of my friends '06 R1 an '06 cbr1k I felt alot heat on my legs from both of their bikes compared to my '06 zx10r. And those 2 bikes have the engine exposed like the 3rd gen 10r.
I see what you're saying but even in this crazy hot NC heat we've had she runs relatively cool even with my girl on it. Maybe its because they can breathe better?:dontknow: I always wear long pants and never have felt heat enough to think about it till I read this. I here R1 owners complain about this though.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Only real problem I've had with heat was the tank getting excessively hot and burning the inside of my legs some. Of course the temp was probably 110 and the humidity 90% that day, and I got stuck in some ridiculous stop and go traffic.

I was surprised on my first bike, after I rebuilt it I didn't put the fairings back on immediately. When I finally did I found that all the heat was being channeled under the fairings at my legs. Answer, get a nekkid bike.

Den33. I've seen places that make the fake "warning" labels for car stuff but I've never seen those before. You know of anywhere to get that in sticker form?
Nah, wish I did though!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Valve Retainers Cracking??!!

What happens? drop a valve? how do you know if you have a problem? 08/09 only? Has there been a service recall?
I think you're safe with that issue. There was never a recall, but Kawi apparently upgraded the part on the third gens. I only say this because the part number has been changed on the retainers and the dealership assured me the new parts would be safe to have installed. And yes, my valve dropped and hit the piston. No major damage, but still a big bill. I replaced all the retainers. One had failed and another was about to go. I have pics on my profile. If you happen to take a look at your retainers, let me know how they're holding up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My first gen is one of the cooler bikes i have owned. They all will get pretty hot, especially sitting in traffic. I dont recall my Suzuki's being too bad, the R1 was hott, and the 954 is very hot as well.

I guess my point is what you are dealing with it quite normal.
I have had two Gixxers and a 954 as well. The heat from this bike is much more than I remember from any of them. This is my concern. While the bike is in the shop, I'm having the exhaust damper servo replaced. It was shot when I bought the bike. I rode it unaware of it not working properly. Could that have been causing the heat issue.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have owned the bikes in my Sig and by far my 2007 10R blows the most heat.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts