Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
scored a new hanger on ebay for about $20 shipped which made me pretty happy considering an akra carbon hanger is $130. out with the old:

In with the new (to me):

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
out with the old....

oooooolala!

...in with the new!

me wonders if ohlins makes a special tool that goes around the outside of these adjuster knobs!?!? I'm sure one of the bits in my el cheapo harbor freight security bit set would probably work on it...but I wouldn't dare try that garbage on this bling. Also had hex on the inside of the knobs but I'd rather use a dedicated tool rather than my cheap hex wrenches...

@LDH, what sayeth ye!?!?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Can you just use an allen wrench on the inside? That would be the best bet to avoid scratching them.
yeah, i could but they are very small and I'm an cheapass and refuse to invest in quality hex set from snapon or the like...lol. that's why I figured I'd see if there was a special tool for it. On my old honda, I was used to improvising but I figure I better grow up with this new beast and invest in the right tools. I guess I could start with a hex set from snapon but I know if I do, I'll open a snapon card and that's a slippery slope because I've also been eyeing up a new toolbox...lol

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
me wonders if ohlins makes a special tool that goes around the outside of these adjuster knobs!?!? I'm sure one of the bits in my el cheapo harbor freight security bit set would probably work on it...but I wouldn't dare try that garbage on this bling. Also had hex on the inside of the knobs but I'd rather use a dedicated tool rather than my cheap hex wrenches...

@LDH, what sayeth ye!?!?!

Nope, the whole intent of that design is to be able to get your fingers on the adjuster when you aren't able to use a 3mm ball end allen key (that every Ohlins suspension tuner already has in their pocket)

I suggest WERA or Stahlwille
This long one is the shiznit for a lot of hard to reach shock adjusters!
https://www.kctoolco.com/stahlwille-10507n-kk-drall-3-x-300mm-ball-end-hex-screwdriver/

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
yeah, i could but they are very small and I'm an cheapass and refuse to invest in quality hex set from snapon or the like...lol. that's why I figured I'd see if there was a special tool for it. On my old honda, I was used to improvising but I figure I better grow up with this new beast and invest in the right tools. I guess I could start with a hex set from snapon but I know if I do, I'll open a snapon card and that's a slippery slope because I've also been eyeing up a new toolbox...lol
You're too quick. I deleted my message because I overlooked that you had already mentioned it. Those dials should turn with very little effort so I don't think you need a top quality tool.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Nope, the whole intent of that design is to be able to get your fingers on the adjuster when you aren't able to use a 3mm ball end allen key (that every Ohlins suspension tuner already has in their pocket)

I suggest WERA or Stahlwille
This long one is the shiznit for a lot of hard to reach shock adjusters!
https://www.kctoolco.com/stahlwille-10507n-kk-drall-3-x-300mm-ball-end-hex-screwdriver/

I was just so damn excited to get the shock installed I honestly didn't even test out the adjusters... just tried them for the first time after last night and realized that they are indeed easy enough to turn with fingers alone...but I do like that stahlwhille so I may grab that.

You're too quick. I deleted my message because I overlooked that you had already mentioned it. Those dials should turn with very little effort so I don't think you need a top quality tool.
ha. whoops. my account is too new to let me delete posts or even edit yet...my bad...

...but yeah, they are easy enough to adjust now that I actually tried them out. Just figured ohlins would have some fancy pantsy tool for it...lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
the green rimtape on the wheels looks a little out of place with the red, white, and blue fairings...some powder should cure that. I also hate the stupid ignition mount hole on the upper triple clamp so that deserves some attention with the dremmel and file ... and then some powder:

Popped the bearings out of the wheels and the wheels and upper clamp will get some color...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
the wheels and clamp all coated up with a two stage powder coat... I tried out Prismatic Powders "Illusion Gold" which requires the PPS Clear Vision top coat that, depending on how heavy you lay it on the object, can really change the color of the base (like any multi-stage paint job)...

I didn't do a "let down" panel on some spare metal...the stuff is like $50/lbs and I needed a pound of material for the whole job...so I just risked it and it turned out decent.

Under artificial light, it almost looks like it has a little green in it (fitting, eh?) but under natural light it is a really nice shiny gold. I kinda wanted to try anodizing to see if I could get it close to the ohlins gold but I figured that would be a near impossibly task so....here's the result:

finishing touches with the file:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Gotta refresh the forks on my Ohlins RT forks on my 600rr track bike and 1000rr street bike even tho I never ride them and wont be riding them for most of this season, but I figured it'd be best to get working on them sooner than later so I grabbed the Ohlins fork tool and some oil from DKR along with a brembo 17 RCS for the 10R build because why not...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info I will give them a call regarding my steering damper.

I had a few really nice motors for the cbr. When I bought the bike, it had the HRC headwork done to it and was tuned by Dick Suarez of Full Spectrum Racing and was putting down 170Hp. Then I stumbled on a deal for a fully built Erion motor. Had that bad boy tuned and it put down 182HP on MR12. If I would have refreshed it, I probably would have seen around 190hp or so but I knew eventually I’d be rocking a new iron horse so I didn’t feel like wasting all that coin on an old bike...it was fast enough for what it was.

The black one was the stock electronic damper. When I bought the bike, the plug was ripped out of the side of the damper when the previous owner crashed it so it was unusable. Mike at Dan Kyle Racing told me I can just buy one of the previous gen 10r ohlins dampers and he can refresh it with a new seat and needle that provides more damping, versus the stock ones that come on the 10r’s and 6r’s.

Here’s the link for that service:

https://www.shop.kyleusa.com/Rework-...Damper-DRW.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime_69 View Post
Im curious how much power you had on your old cbr?

I have a gen 3 zx 10r and saw that you had your damper sent away to be modified, what exactly did they do?You have 2 pics , 1 of a black on but a silver one on the bike.I think my damper is manual but the new ones can be modified by the ecu?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Drink enough of it and you'll get that 1000 yard stare when the bottle goes empty

pfft, I polish off a bottle of that shit and I'll have a two-thousand yard stare going on for weeks. I've tossed too many bar dice on the floor and learned my lesson in gin shots. Instead of building up a better tolerance to gin, I just got better at not getting drunk when my friends want to play bar dice. Problem solved.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts