Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my first bike, I bought a throttle insert that didn't work properly even after modification. So I krazy glued a ziptie to the throttle tube and then another ziptie over that one and made my own throttle insert.

Was changing grips on my 10r earlier and decided to try the same trick to see if it worked. Bingo!! Worked just fine and after my short ride up the road and back, feels great.

Don't want to take any money out of Rifleman's pocket but until my first trackday last weekend, I never thought I needed a quicker turning throttle.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I have done the same thing, I used a small piece of pvc really. Cost me 1 dollar compared to 25-30 from rifleman

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
I have done the same thing, I used a small piece of pvc really. Cost me 1 dollar compared to 25-30 from rifleman
yeah you cant really say your hating on riffleman, he wont lie. hes just selling them by demand. but :thumbsup: to taking the initiative and trying it out for yourselves.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
can u explain how to do it a little more?
If you pull the 2 screws out of the throttle housing, you will see where the push/pull cables connect to the throttle. If you increase the diameter, your throttles range of motion will be less. I think when I measured mine there was 6-7mm of clearance, so there is plenty of room.

Crazi, just cut a couple pieces of zip tie (probably just short of the cable insert holes) and super glued them on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah bro i just bought mine off ebay like a month ago and i love it but yeah i could have made 200 of those fuckers by myself for like 10 bucks

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Zip ties are a softer plastic so I will assume that it will wear through more quickly and what happens when it wears through or if the super glue lets go and you have a piece of zip tie hanging up in your thottle housing. Not trying to be an ass clown but this could be a saftey issue.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zip ties are a softer plastic so I will assume that it will wear through more quickly and what happens when it wears through or if the super glue lets go and you have a piece of zip tie hanging up in your thottle housing. Not trying to be an ass clown but this could be a saftey issue.
Very good points but also not valid. Thats like saying copper is softer than steel so steel will last 10 times as long. Well if copper lasts for 5 years, do I really care that steel will last for 50? So hmmm, the cables wear through. What do I have, the stock diameter throttle tube again. Is this a problem?

On my first bike, I put about 10k miles on it after the zip tie mod and never had one problem. Met the guy who bought it after me and he never mentioned anything about it either after going over my mod list with him.

I do appreciate your concern for my safety about the krazy glue letting go though. The zipties are held ONTO the throttle tube by the cable so it seems that there is more forcing squeezing them on than pulling them off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you pull the 2 screws out of the throttle housing, you will see where the push/pull cables connect to the throttle. If you increase the diameter, your throttles range of motion will be less. I think when I measured mine there was 6-7mm of clearance, so there is plenty of room.

Crazi, just cut a couple pieces of zip tie (probably just short of the cable insert holes) and super glued them on.
Bingo! Thats exactly what I did. Measured from just about where the cables go and cut to size. Glued it on and then heated with a hairdryer to ensure it was cured. Then cut another one the same size and repeated. Used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to groove the ends as a guide for the cable and installed it. Didn't take pictures but if you find Rifleman's thread, you can see the stock tube and the insert he sells. Basically, like was said above, you make the diameter larger so it pulls more cable as you turn the throttle. You will need to adjust the cable to get enough slack to do this.

And I PM'd Rifleman prior to this to be sure he was ok with this post. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts