Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seem to be having an issue with my Infinity 12" sub. After a few days, it'll do this thinkg where its like clipping or something, like the power is cutting in and out or its getting a bad signal, you can here like its confused should it be on or off since it goes idle if no LFE is given to it. Now mind you my other sub, a polk is running fine by itself or on the y cable and doesnt act up when the infinity does. This issue started when i moved here and i was thinking it'd be a lack of juice to the sub but now i am not sure, so i don't know what it is. I had both subs hooked up to a Y cable, then ran it by itself still to no avail. I've changed plug locations on my monster hts3600 power conditioner, even plugged it straight into the wall, still same issue. If i unplug it, replug it, it'll be ok for a while. It seems to run fine the rest of the time, but out of no where it does these weird noises? what do ya boys think it is???? The manual doesnt address any issues like this.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
gaugelane said:
you should have got a JBL S120pII
Dat beotch quakes!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, we'll see, if this thing is unrepairable i'll take a look at it. but two subs i can shake and bake on any movie thats played on my 7.1 system

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, jbl and infinity fall under harmon kardon

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well if its overheating i dont know how? its freaking freezin in this house and never had this issue in TX where its like living in hell. i want to say that auto on/off circuit could be the culprit. maybe i'll get couregous and open her up.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Is your Infinity sub a servo feedback sub? If so, you might have a problem with something introducing RF/EMI noise into the power input on the sub. Some Velodyne subs have been known to be sensitive to this issue when used in conjunction with some Lutron dimmers.

But I'm not entirely clear what the sub is doing. Are you saying, you are getting some random noises out of the sub or is the sub clicking on and off unexpectedly?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i don't know what a servo sub is. and yes, it seems to just out of the blue sound like its clicking on and off but when i turn it off and back on it resides until a few days later it'll do it again.

·
Registered
764 Posts
A servo sub is basically a sub that has a feedback loop to the amplifier. An accelerometer is mounted somewhere on the driver; usually on the voice coil. The movement of the driver is analyzed and compared to the incoming signal. If the signals don't match up within some tolerance, the amplifier adjusts what it is sending to the driver to try to bring the the output/sound of the driver in line with what the input signal is dictating. My Velodynes have this with one of them able to have some ridiculous resolution of like 3000 samples per second compared to the older ones doing around 500 samples.

So I think you said, you tried running the LFE directly into the Infinity sub without using the Y cable? If this is true, my only other guess is something is faulting in the amplifier module or you might have a ground loop issue that is causing the sub to act up. Does the sub have a three prong power plug? If it does, you might want to try to use one of those 3 prong to 2 prong power adapters to lift the ground on the sub and see if it goes away. If it does, then you have your answer. But I caution you against running the sub for very long with it configured this way as it's a safety issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts