Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was fitting my 08 with the race tail when i got an idea. had some wire mesh and some fiberglass lying around so i decided to possibly make my own tail. with about 3 hrs this is what i got so far. still have alot of work to go. hopefully get some more time on saturday.

Attachments

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Ahh, I can smell the resin now. Good luck man, laying glass is kinda fun.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Never thought of using chicken wire in that way, looks good so far. I think is gonna be a PITA to smooth it all out.
The floral foam blocks they sell at Hobby Lobby are awesome for custom shapes.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Never thought of using chicken wire in that way, looks good so far. I think is gonna be a PITA to smooth it all out.
:+2: Looks good, just add a a lot of fiber glass then bondo that tail thick & start sanding out your shape! Good luck man:eek:ccasion1

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:+1: love that smell but makes you light headed.
Ahh, I can smell the resin now. Good luck man, laying glass is kinda fun.
didnt really plan on doing this. was just looking around the garage for somewhere to sit my race plastics and happen to see the chicken wire and i knew i had a fiberglass kit somewhere. so figured what the hell.
The floral foam blocks they sell at Hobby Lobby are awesome for custom shapes.
the springs are still going on the gen3 head. ive been searching for clean set of cases to finish building the bottom end. just bought a set off of mr12over and they are f*cked. he said they were clean w/ 6800 miles on them yet it looks like the clutch basket exploded and jacked up #3 and #4 walls so this block would have to be re-nikasiled. was trying to just sell my JE std size pistons and buy some 2mm over JE and just send the block out to millenium and have bored and replated. starting to cost a small fortune
Looks good !!! Waiting for the end result :thumbsup:

:eek:t: What did you do with the valve springs?

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
cool man, that should look really trick when your all done

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Yeah but you have to use extra hardener so it sets quick cause the resin melts them foam blocks!!

Looks good man!!
That's why god invented cling wrap or aluminum foil, then you can re use the "molds".

Now you guys have me wanting to go get all itchy and covered in that gawd awful resin. Can't wait to see what you end up with. Are you planing on making it race glass or street stuff with cutouts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts