Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn it I've been wanting to adjust my rear preload for awhile now....

So I purchased me a spanner wrench so I wouldnt do any harm to the rings but yep you guessed it wouldnt budge one damn bit!!!

Unbolted the links and shock to make sure there was no extra pressure on the shock and bam!! no luck again.....so I take a hammer and got a flathead that I grinded down to make it a blunt end and not dig into the ring. Well things were going good and it was turning very very little and then ping!!! there goes one of the tabs on the ring(Im cussing like a sailor by now). Well back to the drawing board........So I take the shock all the way out and tommorrow will have it at the work place where I can compress the spring and adjust the preload.

Have any of you guys had this kind of problem adjusting the rear preload?
I noticed the ring is about half if not alittle more than halfway down the threads which makes for a bumpy ride maybe thats why its so hard to adjust....:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Funny you made this thread, we just did 32 bikes front and rear preloads today at one of our local mechanis/racer friends houses.

The ZX has 2 preload collars, did you make sure to undo the top one first then loosen or ticghten the lower ring.

There is a very easy way to properly set the sag and sac on the bike if you hvae two or three people that can help you out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i loosened the top collar all the way up the threads but the bottom would not budge with the spanner wrench and would just barely move when i took the hammer and flathead to it..........first bike that has been this hard to adjust ..:dontknow:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
sneaky, where you at? i need to bring my bike over for a day like that!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
OK, would be a nice long ride for ya Rick.

we had a hard time on a couple of the collar style adjusters ae well, they tend to turn the spring as well when adj them.

Try soaking the top of the preload threads with some lubricating penatrant and see if that free's it up some.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah ha found the problem. Took the shock to work today and removed the spring completely and come to find out the collar jumped a thread or 2 and got cross threaded at some point and was turning(very very slowly) in one place and stripped the thread. So that is why the thing was hard to turn and would not adjust. So now the journey begins at finding a rear shock.

What a relief to find out why the thing was being such a pain in the arse. I knew in the past it was neer this hard to adjust the rear shock but hell ya never know......

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
glad ya found the culprit. :badteeth: dem crossthreaders will get ya every time.

BD

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HEllz yeah finally some good luck on my end........Just won a stock rear shock in great condition on ebay for $35............:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
After all that I would have done Penske or Ohlins.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CanyonCarver said:
With an Ohlins, the only tools you need to adjust preload are your thumb and forefinger. :mrgreen:
Well I'm sure if the threads hadnt been crossed up on my stock shock it wouldnt have been nowhere near as bad......but one of these days i might install a aftermarket shock, but until then stock will do..:cool:

·
Registered
681 Posts
dude im having the same trouble on my countershaft sprocket nut....still cant get the fuggar off

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You may only need a thumb and fore finger with a ohlins, but once they are set from the factory you are screwed if your weight goes up and outside of the range of the hand adjuster. We did a bike with the adjuster this weekend, previous owner added full ohlins system to this R1 and the current owner could not get the sag with in range because of preset on the phlins.

You have to send the shock in to get it reworked if you get outside of range. I will take the old spanner wrench method please.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Thank you sneaky, a penske time for me then when it gets here.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
sneaky said:
You may only need a thumb and fore finger with a ohlins, but once they are set from the factory you are screwed if your weight goes up and outside of the range of the hand adjuster. We did a bike with the adjuster this weekend, previous owner added full ohlins system to this R1 and the current owner could not get the sag with in range because of preset on the phlins.

You have to send the shock in to get it reworked if you get outside of range. I will take the old spanner wrench method please.
Penske is very nice, too. The suspension shop I buy Ohlins from will re-spring for no charge -- just cost of the spring. Had it done a few months back. No problem really. As long as you didn't just order it from a catalog or website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts