Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to putting a 16 tooth Renthal sprocket on the front and let me tell you this thing seems crazy in the front end. 1st and 2nd forget about ham fisting the throttle, 3rd, 4th...if you hit any find of irregularity in the road with even a mild twist of the wrist the front wheel wants to paw at the sky. I'm riding with an entire new respect for the right hand. I'm going to try +2 at the back as well at a later date. Install was not too bad, used an electric impact. The rear wheel had to be adjusted back a bit more than I anticipated, not much but more than I would have guessed but I think the chaIin was a bit loose initially on the 17 tooth. Oh well, I highly recommend this inexpensive mod.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Same result on a 06.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
i went -2 in the front. it was like that when i bought it. i wonder how bad the stock is if all i hear you guys rave about the 16tooth

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
i went -2 in the front. it was like that when i bought it. i wonder how bad the stock is if all i hear you guys rave about the 16tooth
a 15t is a pretty tight radius for the chain & the swingarm protector so keep an :shady: on that sucker.

BD

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
a 15t is a pretty tight radius for the chain & the swingarm protector so keep an :shady: on that sucker.

BD
no shit? never thought of that. i check it out the other week when i lubed it. the chain o-rings and system dont look bad but the metal links are a little rusty. going to have to go w the -1+1 520 conversion soon.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
ive got my 16th front sprocket. I just havnt gotten around to installing it. I have friends telling me Im straight crazy, and I have some that ride track days say its awesome cause you dont need to shift into 1st aroun tight corners.

·
Registered
441 Posts
it was a night and day difference when i put my 16t in, the bike should have come that way from the factory..

·
Registered
571 Posts
Isn't gearing fun? I've got a stack of sprockets I switch depending on the track but my racebike('06 ZX-10) is -1/+4 right now.:badteeth:

Say it with me now.... "Throttle Control".... :heyyou:

I'm off to Miller Motorsports park next week and will likely put the gearing back near stock with that crazy-long front straight.:dontknow:

:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Isn't gearing fun? I've got a stack of sprockets I switch depending on the track but my racebike('06 ZX-10) is -1/+4 right now.:badteeth:

Say it with me now.... "Throttle Control".... :heyyou:

I'm off to Miller Motorsports park next week and will likely put the gearing back near stock with that crazy-long front straight.:dontknow:

holy crap, +4? that a stunt bike?? damn. i run -1/+2, and its kinda out of hand for the street. at the track (thunderhill) its prefect for turns 10-15, which are all slow corners. had anyone done the gearing (-1/+2) AND the 1/5 throttle? that bike must be a wheelie machine!

·
Registered
571 Posts
holy crap, +4? that a stunt bike?? damn. i run -1/+2, and its kinda out of hand for the street. at the track (thunderhill) its prefect for turns 10-15, which are all slow corners. had anyone done the gearing (-1/+2) AND the 1/5 throttle? that bike must be a wheelie machine!
It's pretty rowdy... but it works. I would have never geared it like that but that's what one of my buddies who runs a 10 suggested and he's faster than I am.:wink:

It IS a wheelie machine but it's managable. I did a trackday at Buttonwillow last week with that gearing and it was fuggin awesome and I was turning some nice times for just having fun out there. When I was in 'play' mode I was wheelying in places I never, ever thought I'd wheelie a bike on that track!

Hell, at Big Willow the bike will actually pull the front wheel off the ground coming out of Turn 9 in 4th gear.:mrgreen:

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
my bike is on a suicide mission w the -2 front. i have no stabilizer! launching-forgeddaboutit. i cant launch unless i ease the throttle, shit early, then watch out cuz the bitch starts to wobble :( frustrating. beside i want to get more out of first other than 88mph.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm -1 in the front and +2 in the rear... LOVE IT... made the bike come alive

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have 16/43 and I want to maybe go to 45 rear so that would be 6+

·
Registered
201 Posts
I put a lot of free-way miles on my bike... Any idea how much it's going to raise my rpm in sixth going w/a 16T sprocket? Would love to go down, but I hate the feeling that I get when it feels like I need to shift once more when I'm already through all the gears. Should I stick w/17 up front and +2 in the rear? How many teeth can I play w/before I have to get a new chain?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts