Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Hmm I can't believe it.....

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  GreenMachine666 
#1 ·
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

We planned a trip to the gap this morning Aug. 5th and Ill be damned if I didnt come home from work friday evening with a flat rear tire.

So I'm doing the "oh shit" where can I find a tire this late in the game and still make it to the gap as planned. Well low and behold a good friend of mine just so happened to have a brand new pilot race S2 in stock but the only thing that concerned me was that it was a 180 and not a 190, thinking if I am going to invest in a new tire then it should be what I preferred.

At this point I'm thinking hell if I want to make the trip then I better settle for what he has so I took the chance and bought it.........

GUYS ALL I CAN SAY IS DAMN WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!​

This is the first bike I have owned that came stock with a 190 and there is a good reason it came stock with it but I cant believe such a positive attitude adjustment the 180 gave my '04 zx10 in the curves. Dont get me wrong I by no means am a pro at the gap or any kind of twisties what so ever but WOW this bike is ten times more flickable (zx10 already handles great as is)with the 180 not to mention the pilot race never gave and inch as far as loss of traction, stuck like glue.

SO I ask the question, What is the point of putting a 190 tire on something that was made to carve corners? Is there a certain advantage of the 190 on the liter bikes over a 180 that I'm not seeing here?

Can anyone elaborate on this for me?

See less See more
#2 ·
plenty of guys going to 180's on liter bikes.. ill go to a 180 also for my next tire but it will def still be a 55.. kawi went with the 55 so they could maintain the 17/40 gearing and still pull 186mph stock..

#5 ·
I think they made the 190 for riders like me who are not aggresive like some other riders are. i'm sure they know that 04-05 will do better, but there lawyers had a say so on what size of tire that came with the bike. cyoa program.

#6 ·
rocketracermike said:
I think they made the 190 for riders like me who are not aggresive like some other riders are. i'm sure they know that 04-05 will do better, but there lawyers had a say so on what size of tire that came with the bike. cyoa program.
hmm, am not to sure on that. I have seen before that profiles and rider setup has a lot to benefit from the 190/55 profile. And not a lawyer thing.

#9 ·
Guys if curves are what you are gonna be riding 90% of the time then the 180/55 is your tire size for sure......If you are a straights kinda guy or a wheelie junkie then stick with the 190.

Since the lean angle is so much more "agressive" on the 180 than on the 190 its ideal for curves IMO.

THe 190 has more of a center contact patch in the middle or on top of the tire which makes it more ideal for someone trying to balance in a wheelie and provide more straight line traction IMO.

-Chris

#10 ·
GreenMachine666 said:
Guys if curves are what you are gonna be riding 90% of the time then the 180/55 is your tire size for sure......If you are a straights kinda guy or a wheelie junkie then stick with the 190.

Since the lean angle is so much more "agressive" on the 180 than on the 190 its ideal for curves IMO.

THe 190 has more of a center contact patch in the middle or on top of the tire which makes it more ideal for someone trying to balance in a wheelie and provide more straight line traction IMO.

-Chris
Two differant tires for two differant riding style. the 10 can handle any curves. with a diffrant set up. it can do better. Kaw put on a tire where a new rider won't kill himself on it. a rider who has some time under his belt would welcome a 180. The bike can lean. put a 180 on with a new rider and you will have more near misses. cyoa is what kaw did with the 190.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.