Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was coming back from my tuner and the bike was running amazing and was coming out of a traffic circle and though i would unleash the Fury, well as i hit the rev limiter in 1st since it spooled up way faster than before the bike dies on me, i rty and restart while costing but NO EFFECT.
come to stop and turn off the ignition and then back on she runs like nothing happened.

Is this typical?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well i was coming back from my tuner and the bike was running amazing and was coming out of a traffic circle and though i would unleash the Fury, well as i hit the rev limiter in 1st since it spooled up way faster than before the bike dies on me, i rty and restart while costing but NO EFFECT.
come to stop and turn off the ignition and then back on she runs like nothing happened.

Is this typical?
THAT SUCKS I HOPE THIS IS NOT RIGHT ,

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've hit the rev limiter a couple different times and it has never died after that. Sounds wierd to me. Not sure what could have caused it though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Check your connections. I'm guessing you have a PCIII, so look at the ground and the battery cables to make sure they aren't loose. I had that issue with both of my bikes. On the 10R, my battery cable where the ground from the PCIII goes was loose so it would cut out. Basically just check all of the connectors. It's not normal for it to cut out.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will do as i am running a PCIII and an ivans TRE...hoping it does not have anything to do with either one or the fact i am running a 06/07 gauge cluster on the 04 bike.
going to go thru the wire harness of where we hooked up the pick-up as well, maybe just a loose wire.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, as much plugging and unplugging you have had to do with the cluster, PCIII, and TRE, it wouldn't surprise if something was overlooked or just came loose. Good luck!

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
perhaps an ignition problem?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
something wrong definite.
I bounce off the limiter all the time on track. It just feels like a missfire until the rev drops a bit then all back to niormal.
Never had a complete cut off.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
thats why we have warranty
Warranties don't cover Custom cluster, PCIII, and TRE causing problems.:headshake

jdgun_13, since I helped you even make the Custom Guage and run it myself I can tell you your Cluster has nothing to do with this problem. The Cluster only receives Tach signals for INDICATION ONLY from the ECU and has nothing to do with THE LIMITER THE ECU DOES and only reports Tach signals as it sees it to the Cluster. :headshake shoot you can even run the bike without a cluster so that should tell you something. :wink:

Check out the ignition system and PC, but I'm sure it's not the cluster:headshake

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Warranties don't cover Custom cluster, PCIII, and TRE causing problems.:headshake

jdgun_13, since I helped you even make the Custom Guage and run it myself I can tell you your Cluster has nothing to do with this problem. The Cluster only receives Tach signals for INDICATION ONLY from the ECU and has nothing to do with THE LIMITER THE ECU DOES and only reports Tach signals as it sees it to the Cluster. :headshake shoot you can even run the bike without a cluster so that should tell you something. :wink:

Check out the ignition system and PC, but I'm sure it's not the cluster:headshake
then who ever put it in would be looking at it , but it does cover ignition system

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
then who ever put it in would be looking at it , but it does cover ignition system
yep, but it's 2008 guy and he has a 2005 bike....so your assuming he bought a 3yr extended warranty and is covered, that he didn't do all the work for his mods, and that a dealer he does deal with has no problem with his mods.....not ragging on you but the blanket statement saying

"thats why we have warranty"

is not all that simple in this case. :wink:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bludevil thru the process of elimination and checking what was touched after the tune it appears one of the wires was not fully seated in the ECU Harness, so with that corrected i just have to wait for the weather to clear up before i go and test it.

Thats was the reason i was asking as i have never heard of a bike in 20 years of ownership & riding to just completelty shut off, normally it is the sputter or cuts the power off then comes back on at a set RPM.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
yep, but it's 2008 guy and he has a 2005 bike....so your assuming he bought a 3yr extended warranty and is covered, that he didn't do all the work for his mods, and that a dealer he does deal with has no problem with his mods.....not ragging on you but the blanket statement saying

"thats why we have warranty"

is not all that simple in this case. :wink:
it never is . you got that right

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
it never is . you got that right
yeah, I had a coolant leak and thought it was the water pump going out since the leak started there....well asked Roseville Cycle tech if it will be covered under warranty. They said, well we will have to look at your bike to be sure there's no guarantee until we look at it and it may be a week or so sitting at the shop to get parts if it is.

The guy made it sound like well if we can find something that is not under warranty for a fault I would prefer that, and would love to hold you bike hostage when you get the bill.

I just said fugg it and took my bike home, took out the water pump and tested. All good it was just the hose on the water pump...No downtime or hassle. :cool:

I bought the warranty for the engine anyways since it was the first model out..not guaranteed there as well. :badteeth:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah BlueDevil funny you said that as the bike is under warranty still...
But they will just look at it and be like, you want us to what?

Pretty much everything on the bike has been swapped out and i am sure i know more than 80% of the techs out there, just need to get a new sevice manual since my laptop died with it on there.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will go and check on the map, hopefully the PCIII didnt take a dump.
Have yet to get out and run it since then but will do so today as it is dry out, but the bike idles like it did AFTER the tune smooth, where before the tune it was wanting to stall and couldnt maintain a steady RPM till she was good and warm.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jUst got back in from checkig everything out.
Had 1 wire a little loose in the ECM
The positive terminal was not as tight as it should be, so i snugged it up (no more using a screwdriver to tighten them bolts)

Went out she ran like a champ pulling up till 12,500RPM without a hitch thru 3 gears...so should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts