Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys this happened about a week back and for some reason I just never thought about posting about it. Well, anyways, I was riding back from work on the highway doing a very slow 60mph. I was the only one on the road (it was around 2300) and I had my brights on. I was in the middle lane when out of nowhere this bird flew and hit me in the chest and totally caught me off guard. (I WAS LIKE...WTF JUST HAPPENED? :eyecrazy: :eek2: :eek: ) Nothing happened to me or the bike but I think maybe I shite myself :pottytrai . I'm glad i had both hands on the bars. I'll never forget that night. Just thought I'd share later.

P.S., i was wondering if anyone else has been hit by a bird?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Nope, haven't been hit by one but pretty darn close to hitting one though.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
fuck yea and it hit me in the head. We were downtown and going very slow. I didn't even see the dam pigion. I end in the next lane. fuckin bird. it was curtains for the dam bird.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Did ya'll happen to see the OCC episode where they built the drag bike and Ricky Gadson brung his 10R and gave the guys a lesson about drag racing. Anyways on one the passes he made he hit a bird with his helmet and there was blood and stuff on the helmet when he came back. 140+ splat :spit:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My bud was flyin' on his old 1989 ZX10 about 170km/h and hit a bird with his head. I have NO IDEA how he didn't have a get off but the bird broke his visor and ended up halfway in and half out of the helmet. He had bird guts and shit all over the side of his head/face and in his hair...worst of all he had about 3 more hours to go before he was home. He is lucky it hit the part where the visor hinge is at the side so it was not a direct hit on his face, it probably would have screwed him up pretty bad if it had.

·
Registered
17 Posts
05zx10pilot said:
My bud was flyin' on his old 1989 ZX10 about 170km/h and hit a bird with his head. I have NO IDEA how he didn't have a get off but the bird broke his visor and ended up halfway in and half out of the helmet. He had bird guts and shit all over the side of his head/face and in his hair...worst of all he had about 3 more hours to go before he was home. He is lucky it hit the part where the visor hinge is at the side so it was not a direct hit on his face, it probably would have screwed him up pretty bad if it had.
Same shit happened to me, hit just on my left side, enough to break the visor on my old KBC VR-1. 160km/h maybe, got hella whiplash, was sore for a few days. Now I don't waste time looking back to see where the followers are, just scanning the ditches for deer, birds and cops now for me. :helmet:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I was on the busa one day and at a liesurely pace on some local backroads. Came around a corner to find a buzzard eatin' some dead critter in the middle of my lane. I was about to avoid it when it took flight. I had let off when I saw it and thought I was far enough from it that it would be gone when I got there. Well, it took off slower than I expected. It *BARELY* missed my windscreen and lid. I kept waitin' for the thump on my lid, but apparently he sucked his ass up into his neck just in time. Scared the crap out of me. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Three on the Ten
One came out from the side of a road and got my right hand at about 60
A flock of birds took off from a feil and one turned at me and hit my left shoulder and went under my arm pit.
One small birdy got eaten by the air intake leaving a wing stuck on the side of the air intake.

·
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter
5,756 Posts
i hit a bird at 40 mph a few years back. i also was hit by part of a tire that the cage next to me ran over now and it flew into my lane, that one hurt like hell

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Fastesthare was leading a small group of us down a back country road @ 100 or so on his Ducati. A dove flew up and hit the windshield on the bike then bounced back into his helmet. It must not have been much of an impact on his helmet because he thought he had hit a "reb butterfly". His helmet was covered with blood. The dove went about 100 feet into the air before falling back down. I have hit numerous birds while leading on lowly traveled roads. Nothing serious for me. Pretty bad for the birds.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
a bird hit me on the left ankle a few weeks back....hurt like a biatch...flopped around a bit then took off...haha

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
About 35 years ago, on a short (I don't remember the reason why), ride in my country neighborhood, on my Triumph Bonnie, without a helmet, doing less than 40 MPH, I took a bird no bigger than the average Robbin, in the forehead, and, I don't think it is possible to coming so close to getting knocked out, without getting knocked out. I wobbled to a stop at the side of the road. Then two years ago, not hit by a bird, but in ranching country, and wearing a dirt bike helmet, the only thing I saw was black feathers right above the edge of the visor, expecting to get hit I ducked down, but what happened was a big whack on my side. It was beyond belief, a Vulture threw up a huge load of some what (you would never believe the stench) rotten meat on me. Later I found where the Vultures were having a regular fly-in, and stripping meat off a dead stear. This meat that hit me was gooie and in strips, mostly and a few chunks about the size of a Golf ball, and it was moving. Oh I almost forgot, about 40 years ago, on my morning commute to work, on a bike with handlebar mount windshield, coming up on a dozen (maybe less) Ravens in the road having road kill breakfast, one was late getting off, and took out my windshield. RoK ON :)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Never got hit by a bird but ran over a rabbit once while it tried to cross the road at 70mph or higher on my 86 VFR Interceptor, while stationed in England. The front steering made a real quick tank slapper and I was still on my way. No need to stop it was considered road kill im my mind :badteeth:

I was glad it wasn't a pheasant because they have strick laws on that kind of road kill. Like death or something :headshake: j/k but they are heavy fines as I remember.

PS. please, no why did the rabbit cross the road jokes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hit a bird at around 140 mph once, luckily it went under the nose and hit the fork leg and exploded like something out of a cartoon, feathers and shit all flyin out everywhere. However I've seen the aftermath of an R1 hiiting a bird at 150+ at the track and it penetrated the headlight with it's head sticking out basically looking the rider in the eye and the ass hanging out the nose. Almost didn't look real. It was a large bird like a grouse or pheasant...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
When I first started riding, I often left my visor up until I really got going.

I was leaving the gas station and I'd traveled maybe a 1000 feet down the road, when I nailed a bug with my right eye.

I cannot begin to describe the pain, but it felt like my eyeball had bounced off my brain (if you can imagine). To make matters worse, I lost vision in both eyes for a couple of seconds. :eyecrazy:

Lucky for me, I was able to regain enough sight in my left eye to pull off the road.

It took something like 10 trips to the ophthalmologist and 1 to a surgeon to remove all of the debris and stop the infections in that eye. :headshake

·
Registered
666 Posts
Last year I was riding just behind my hubby, when a bird swooped down out of a tree and flew into his helmet.
I was laughing so hard, I couldn't believe it. I guess it happens often.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I hit a bird with my foot once, don't know how it happened but the damn thing flew under the bike and hit my foot. Also got shit on this summer. Cruising down the road doing about 50 or so and.....splat!!! right in the center of my shieldl. It was so much shit on my shield I had to pull over and clean it, I couldn't see a damn thing.

Damn dirty birds.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My Concours ate a bird once, jumped up from the median and into my radiator as I was riding on the FL turnpike. All I could find to clean when I got home was a few feathers and blood.

Anybody ever hit a bat? Flattened one with my helmet a few years ago, on a dark road at about 70mph, felt like somebody punched me on the side of my (helmeted) head.

·
Registered
94 Posts
About twenty years ago on a friends LTD550, got hit broadside in the left shoulder by a duck coming in for a landing. I was doing about 35 mph at the time. Knocked me off the bike. Damn duck took a tumble, yelled at me for a few minutes, then waddled away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts