Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I went to MSR to work with my Suspension man Jim Cambora since my race is there in two weeks. For those who dont know I recently purchased the traxxion fork internals and a Penske tripple shock. the front has been working great, but the rear was giving me issues. Basically i wanted to make sure everything was good for the race. First of all I ended up rasing the forks in the tripple and the raising the rear, to get my swingarm angle right. Later after riding, I ened up lowering the front back down however since it wasn't holding a line upon exit. I made alot of progress suspension wise and also found several areas of my body position to improve upon as well. However, for one reason or another I trashed my tires BAD. As soon as I started riding at a decent pace, I just shagged my tire and it was just spinnin everywhere. I ended up takin the tire off, and running it backwards so I could go out for one more session...however I had ZERO traction on either side, and my brakes were gone, so I decided to call it a day. All in all it was a good day...but I am upset about one BIG thing. The fastest I was clocked at was a 1:25.6. I'm pretty sure I ran faster than that, but not by how much. I was doing two wheel slides and losing traction with the rear even on corner entry so I didnt have much confidence to push hard. After checking the times in the race from last year...first place guy ran several 1:20s and a couple of 1:19s to take first... Now Im sure that I can pick up the pace some for the race...but Im not sure if I can pull 4-5 seconds out of my butt...So I'm pretty dissapointed in that...I was hopin to do well...but I guess I wont really know till we put the gloves on. Since you read all my mumblin you are awarded with pics from the day...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Whoa, thos tires are fugged up. I love the asiachineseresturant.com sponsership sticker...........eat a little chinese food, do we hill?????:eek:ccasion1

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lunitk said:
Whoa, thos tires are fugged up. I love the asiachineseresturant.com sponsership sticker...........eat a little chinese food, do we hill?????:eek:ccasion1
Got to! Asia is my main sponsor! NONCOntengency!

And yes I love my Pepper Steak! :ayyy:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
MSR Cresson has a reputation of being hard on tires. M. Sanchez says that they run the hardest tires they can get. The track is low on grip. And they (Sanchez bros.) say that is why you have to run hard tires. I know that it is the only track where I can hear the tires squelling as the bikes go around the corners. Not that I know a lot, but that looks like cold tearing to me. At least that what more knowledgeable people have told me. Some of the experts have told me that tires like that are a sign of poor suspension set up. But what do I know?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
zeta xray said:
MSR Cresson has a reputation of being hard on tires. M. Sanchez says that they run the hardest tires they can get. The track is low on grip. And they (Sanchez bros.) say that is why you have to run hard tires. I know that it is the only track where I can hear the tires squelling as the bikes go around the corners. Not that I know a lot, but that looks like cold tearing to me. At least that what more knowledgeable people have told me. Some of the experts have told me that tires like that are a sign of poor suspension set up. But what do I know?
thats exactly what it is.

BD

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Way to tear those up now you got to get some more hope you get it all figured out.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big Daddy said:
thats exactly what it is.

BD
Thanks guys!

I was running the Hardest tire you can get. Jim told me that the tire is so hard, and the track is so smooth, instead of the track takin the rubber off, it smushes it around....then gets all the layers of the tire hot, without removing the rubber.

He said to run mediums there...

Well I had the tires on the warmers...and I was givin the tire a lap to come up to temp.

While I wont rule out suspension set up...the bike is really feeling great...other than the whole sliding around. At Houston I dont have this problem at all...

but after the tweaks, Ill go back to houston on the 20th, so that will really be the test I suppose.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hill, now you have brought up an interesting point to ponder. MSR Houston has more grip than TWS and a whole lot more than MSR Cresson. I didn't play with my suspension settings when I went to MSR Houston, but I could tell that the settings I had for TWS did not work like I would have liked at MSR Houston. Since the grip levels are drastically different at each track, don't you think it might require a different tire/suspension set-up at each track? As far as compounds, I would have guessed you would want a softer tire on a slick track with lower grip but most of the go-fast guys who race at Cresson say the opposite. I guess I would have to take their word for it, since all of them can easily kick my butt.

Interesting......

·
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter
5,756 Posts
Good luck Hill and what ever you do don't come in last. You might want to go with Galfers superbike SS lines. They connect directly to the caliper.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts