Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all are the experts, so I thought I would ask before taking to the dealer or shop.

I get rapid vibration in the front brake lever when braking at freeway speeds, 55mph or higher - particularly when I brake hard. It used to be only higher speeds (over 65), so I think it's progressively worse.

Cars will do this when they need new rotors, which is what I think it might be. I don't believe this is tire balance, since this is the second set of tires I've noticed this on.

The '08 is still under warranty but I don't think they cover rotors at 11,000 miles - or will they?

Thanks in advance -

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You all are the experts, so I thought I would ask before taking to the dealer or shop.

I get rapid vibration in the front brake lever when braking at freeway speeds, 55mph or higher - particularly when I brake hard. It used to be only higher speeds (over 65), so I think it's progressively worse.

Cars will do this when they need new rotors, which is what I think it might be. I don't believe this is tire balance, since this is the second set of tires I've noticed this on.

The '08 is still under warranty but I don't think they cover rotors at 11,000 miles - or will they?

Thanks in advance -

Your rotors may be warped, but I would pull the calipers off and clean the pistons and guide pins really good first.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thought it was unlimited miles 12 months?
I have an extended warranty - 3 years right now, and the dealer is offering another 4 on top of the (7 years) for another $600. I don't have $600 to drop but that shows how reliable these toys are..

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I would say balance of the tires but if its when you brake i'd say rotors but i've got so many miles on my stock rotors so I dont know what to say. You go through a lot of hot and cold/wet cycles? ride in ran maybe?

head bearing is a poss BUT if its a violent shake i'd rule that one out especially at 11k on a 08. Mine was fine on my 05 with 23k only reason why it was bad was due to too much torque from my scotts damper being put on. so i'll go back to saying balance...I had this same problem recently with a retard shop!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say balance of the tires but if its when you brake i'd say rotors but i've got so many miles on my stock rotors so I dont know what to say. You go through a lot of hot and cold/wet cycles? ride in ran maybe?

head bearing is a poss BUT if its a violent shake i'd rule that one out especially at 11k on a 08. Mine was fine on my 05 with 23k only reason why it was bad was due to too much torque from my scotts damper being put on. so i'll go back to saying balance...I had this same problem recently with a retard shop!
Thanks for all the advice - I think I'll get the front wheel re-balanced first. If that doesn't solve it, call the dealer and see if warped rotors are covered and go from there.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Brake pad build up can cause a similar symptom as warped rotors. The residue doesn't build up perfectly even, and also will slip-grab-slip-grab causing a pulsing/vibration - a similar symptom of if the pads are just glazed over which is possible.

If the rotors are not warped then new pads, brake cleaner, and a Scotch-brite pad would be step one, and bead blasting the rotors would be great, if possible.

Headstock bearings, as mentioned, are also another source of mysterious vibration under a load.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Tire/ wheel balance.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That would be most likely omnipresent regardless of braking.
:heyyou:

"Omnipresent" (all inclusive/ present everywhere at once) that is a word that is not thrown around often!? But to correct you, ones motorcycle will have a head shake or heavy vibration when stopping if the balance is NOT set correctly. Which is omnipresent or all inclusive. But only at certain speeds Cocky Rooster! The vibration will come and go at accelaration and/or at certain speeds, but when braking ceteris paribus (all things remain constance) the vibration will be there. And furthermore; (meaning degree not distance) there are only a few things that will cause his problem, balancing, bearing, warp rotors, and bolts not torque correctly. I may be missing something, but I think not. "Omnipresent" LOL
:helmet:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Check your balance Stunner.. ^^ Cocky, do have a 10?

·
Registered
971 Posts
A mate of mine recently had sevre shudder on braking. We later noticed one of his top triple clamp pinch bolts missing. We assume the fork was rattling around, causing the shudder.

Just another option to check... All pinch bolts.

PS: Do you feel any pulsing at the lever? Does the bike kind of pulse at low speeds with light braking?

·
Registered
45 Posts
That vibration can come from your suspention too. You may want to take a good look at your forks while you're at it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm sure these bikes have the floating front rotors like the Busa does. Road dirt and sometimes gravel gets in between the connectors on the rotors and holds the rotor to one side and doesn't allow it to float. I had that happen to mine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Brake pad build up can cause a similar symptom as warped rotors. The residue doesn't build up perfectly even, and also will slip-grab-slip-grab causing a pulsing/vibration - a similar symptom of if the pads are just glazed over which is possible.
:+2::+2:
Most definitely a possibility. Common mis-diagnosed braking problem, (have done it myself). A common occurrence when pads and rotors are bedded too aggressively. To the point where bead blasting the rotors is the best method for removing the carbide like compound deposited on disc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check your head bearing!

If the rotors are not warped then new pads, brake cleaner, and a Scotch-brite pad would be step one, and bead blasting the rotors would be great, if possible.

Headstock bearings, as mentioned, are also another source of mysterious vibration under a load.
Both of these two are bringing up your best parts to check.

If it was wheel/tire vibration due to a bad balance then you'd feel it all the time and not just when braking.

Brake pad build up in the rotor can cause a warped rotor feeling as will a loose head/stem bearing.

I've never had warped rotors on a bike I've owned but I've had a decent amount of loose stem bearing incidents.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
PHOTO OF MY ROTORS WITH MY COMMENTS/QUESTIONS BELOW -

Observations: Here's what I see with the naked eye (maybe you can see it in the 2D photo). There are slight/minor grooves in the front rotors (like a vinyl record but narrower & not as deep) with black coloring INSIDE the grooves. The outer surface of the grooves doesn't have any deposit as far as I can tell, or feel.

The BACK rotors have deeper and wider grooves but NO black coloring inside (don't know if these grooves are normal). I have 12k miles.

Took it for a couple of rides, and again you only notice pulsation in the front brake lever at high speeds, like 60mph or more.

Question: Is there a way for me to clean these without taking it to the shop? I'm not going to attempt any part removal myself, like bearing/pad removal/cleaning.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts