Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't read (or posted) ZX-10R.net in years, so hopefully this post is an interesting one.

I'm a proud owner of a 2005 ZX-10R with over 104,700 miles (see attached photo). I used to ride it daily, took it to the track on occasion, then it sat for months (because I rode other bikes). I decided to convert it to track-only after 104,000 miles (see picture). Recently, I had the bike dyno'd and tuned with a Power Commander. I'm surprised it didn't blow up! Even more surprising is how much power it made: 155 WHP (see attached picture). Looking at other dyno charts from the same generation, power seems on par with them. The only "go-fast" mods are a K&N drop-in filter, an Akrapovic slip-on exhaust, and a PCIII USB.

If you're curious on any issues or maintenance, they include:
  • water pump was replaced
  • fuel pump replaced
  • valves adjusted once at 88,000 miles (all out-of-spec on exhaust side)
  • spark plugs changed twice (I hate doing it)
  • lower radiator bracket broke (too many hard landings from sweet jumps)
  • suspension re-done/re-valved about a year ago (to prepare for track use)

Funny thing is... I want a bit more power just to have an edge at the track. It's a bit of a challenge to keep up with modern supersports.

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
Incredible and good to know :smile2: Your dyno readout looks near perfect as well :surprise:

How many miles between oil changes ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great job with that milage! Just shows these bikes can do a lot of miles with minimal replacements. -And keep the power too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
Wow! That's amazing! Hopefully you'll keep the bike forever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Incredible and good to know
Your dyno readout looks near perfect as well

How many miles between oil changes ?
On average, about 5000 miles. I typically buy semi-synthetic but now I'm running full synthetic. It leaks, but not gushing out.

As a track bike, I change it every 3-5 races/track days depending on severity of abuse.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm shocked at the first valve service at 88,000miles. That's incredible! It gives me confidence to stretch out my next service a bit. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm shocked at the first valve service at 88,000miles. That's incredible! It gives me confidence to stretch out my next service a bit. :)
Well.. I wouldn't do what I did and stretch it out that long! I had a loud tapping for thousands of miles, and it turned one of my exhaust valves was really out of spec (all the exhaust were out, but this one was the most). Not the most fun maintenance; did the spark plugs while everything was apart.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's a fair number of miles for an original engine on the bigger bikes!

As for matching the newer machines, that's going to be tough. My bike, with a slip on and flashed ECU is around 190hp. Add in electronic aids that the bike comes with/just require a license, the stock suspension that's pretty dang solid and chassis changes that enhance handling (I find my '17 nearly as flickable as my 675, and significantly better than my '05 zx) it's hard to have the older gen compare to the newer gen.

That being said, let's face it, most of us aren't using what these bikes are capable of, and a few little things on your part could probably go a long ways if you're riding it to its abilities!

·
Registered
215 Posts
impressive mileage numbers. I couldn't even get my 2016 ZX14R to 4000kms before the engine spun a bearing. My 08 ZX6R was at 23,000km before I sold it and my 2015 ZX10R is at 12,350kms.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Wow all that and still running the original Stator???

Reactions: keithk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow all that and still running the original Stator???
Yup. Most everything is original (except the fuel pump and water pump). I'm hoping for ZERO electrical issues for the remaining life of the bike.

I had a stator go out on my Harley at 23,000 miles; I was utterly disappointed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for matching the newer machines, that's going to be tough. My bike, with a slip on and flashed ECU is around 190hp. Add in electronic aids that the bike comes with/just require a license, the stock suspension that's pretty dang solid and chassis changes that enhance handling (I find my '17 nearly as flickable as my 675, and significantly better than my '05 zx) it's hard to have the older gen compare to the newer gen.
Oh, yeah, I agree! I race in a class where there are newer, faster bikes with all sorts of electronic aids. It's hard to keep up; I have to work harder to be competitive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I also have an 05 zx10r with 92,XXX miles purchased in 2013 with 12k miles. Still going strong with zero issues and everything is still original except the muffler and small personal bits. 3 valve inspections over the years, the first one finding four broken valve retainers on the intake side but still holding the valve up thankfully. The 04,05 and some 06's this was a known issue. Anyway my question is did you have issues with the fuel pump/water pump or just preventative maintenance? Every time I start mine I wonder about the fuel pump so I purchased a new one just to not have any downtime when the day comes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts