Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just bought a 2006 zx10r and it is idling high at 2k, the throttle cables and idle screw make no change and when I press my throttle forward it lowers to 1k but when I relax it it goes back up to 2k. If I press the throttle forward enough the bike turns off, any ideas??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
Not the best solution but if u know anyone with same bike swap throttle bodies..
If the cables or idler screw won't change the idle then the sensors on TB our shot..

·
Registered
6 Posts
sounds kinda stupid to say but I had the same problem with my 06 zx10.... make sure the cables are routed properly . Like when you turn the bike from side to side make sure there not sticking or anything in the way. you could also try putting some lube on the the throttle ( like down where the cables move to open the throttle bodies ) . are your throttle cables adjusted properly ?

My problem was that the previous owner had a zip tie holding the throttle cables together about half way down the cable near the bottom of the gas tank. also they were not properly adjusted. ( like the little adjustment thing by the brake reservoir )

just some thoughts ....

·
Registered
700 Posts
Before you start changing throttle bodies. If you can turn the grip and the idle lowers then the throttle plates are being held open by something. The reason it cuts off is because you probably have the idle screw way out and you are closing it completely. Do this first. turn the idle screw in until when you hold the throttle closed it idles at 1200 ish. Then loosen up both adjusters on the throttle cables. One is under the tank if I remember right and the other one is on the cable near the grip. If the cables are to tight it can hold the throttle open(my guess). Then adjust the cables so it has just a little play and snaps to closed. Then check your cable routing making sure there not binding or pulled tight or have any crimps in them. Then I would check to make sure the grip is not sticking on the bar end.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey guys just bought a 2006 zx10r and it is idling high at 2k, the throttle cables and idle screw make no change and when I press my throttle forward it lowers to 1k but when I relax it it goes back up to 2k. If I press the throttle forward enough the bike turns off, any ideas??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
It could be an intake leak. just saying. when you twist the throttle forward it closes the intake up. Either way, you will end up having to take off the tank to check it out. By chance does the rpms come down slow when you twist the throttle.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The way the intake boots are made it would be hard to have a leak that would close by twisting the throttle. If its leaking you would have one hell of a lean surge under load and it probably would not idle. I have never seen a leak do what the OP described.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Ive gotta agree with bugman on this.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Also the earlier bikes do no have a IAC (idle air controller) like a car to control the idle. The throttle stop screw is what controls it, There is a fast idle cam that is controlled by the secondary throttle shaft that ups the idle when the bike is cold. That is what im going to have you check next after the cables are checked. But no sence bogging him down with to much info at one time. but ill walk you through fixing her. Its something simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not trying to bring a thread back from a year ago but I'm having the same issue. Just tore into it today and put the idle screw back in. Mine also will only idle below 2k rpms by twisting the throttle forward. The cables don't seem to be on a bind either. I can adjust the idle screw higher but 2k is as low as it'll go.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
cable return cable too tight, or plastic throttle drum stop damaged. strapping a bike down using throttle grip will do it if throttle locked when strapped tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts