Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im a newbee to this forum and i'm a proud owner of two zx10's (04 race, 06 street)

My mods to my 04 include full muzzy exhaust, powercommander, and flies removed.

My motor is being torn down for transmission issues(2nd and third gear dogs rounded). Therefore, its going to get the transmission undercut and while i'm in their i'll be doing a thin head gasket and 13.5 to 1 pistons and lightened crank.

Baseline numbers on a stingy dynojet 250 i are as follows:

Stock 138 hp
Stock with hmf slip on only 142.3

Now it has muzzy exhaust and the rest of the above mentioned mods.

Question: Are there any issues with running kawasakis thinnest headgasket with 13.5 pistons?

What should my cam timing be set at? (stock cams)

Does anyone have a lightened crank in there bike and if so what are your impressions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well for starters what size headgasket 55 I think is there thinest? Secondly no one but you and the one that is building this bike should answer the question "is ok to run thin head gasket with 13.5 to 1 pistons?". How you can tell is by measuring the squish amount. Also remember you will be running close to 14:1 compression if you can use a thin head gasket and kiss pump goodbye. Next there is no set magical Cam Timing numbers. Really its trial and error. Does your motor like more overlap or less overlap and where do you want your power to come in at. All cam timing does is move your powerband just FYI. With those pistons I would highly recommend doing some headwork and replacing the intake cam with a Kawi Kit Intake cam at least. Kawi's Race Manual gives you a very good inital start point. But sounds like it will be a beast when its done. Good luck.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
you will be fine with that set up. I have a lightened crank and I'm running 13.5:1 pistons and I have my head decked .0015"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What do you mean kissing the pump goodbye?
thanks

Garth are you running pump gas and are you using a thin headgasket as well with the .015 shaved head?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts