Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed morimoto mini bi-xenon hids in your gen 4? I'm looking at picking up a set from theretrofitsource.com i have also looked at btmoto.com, however they appear to be a generic brand. whats nice about the btmoto is it appears to come with a new black reflector/adjustment plate that would make install super easy. i woulds prefer to install the morimotos from TRS however i am not sure i want to cut my oem reflectors to make them fit. is that even required? post pics of your retrofit if you got em and let me know how much I'm getting myself into.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just put in the basic hid kit that puts the hid bulbs on the stock housings. And finding a spot for the ballasts was a big issue on my California bike. Getting rid of the charcoal canister makes loads of room available if you need it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just put in the basic hid kit that puts the hid bulbs on the stock housings. And finding a spot for the ballasts was a big issue on my California bike. Getting rid of the charcoal canister makes loads of room available if you need it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
i agree with you on the charcoal filter, thats gotta go. however i don't want to just put HIDs in my halogen reflectors. it causes a lot of glare in oncoming traffic. on top of it being illegal in some states, the last thing i want is to blind the oncoming truck and have them swerve in my lane. plus by putting the projectors in i can get dual hi/lo instead of independent hi/lo.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not sure how much this will help, but on my old cbr600rr, I used projectors from TRS. They were modified fx35 units and were absolutely amazing. I didn't cut my reflector housing or even use it. I took the reflector out completely and made some brackets out of scrap I had that used the factory reflector mount points. This way I could adjust them just like factory without the ugly reflector.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought the BKMOTO Kit over the winter. Install wasn't straight forward at the time I did it but they have a Video on Youtube now just for the Gen 4 which would make it easier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIjTPjZqV4Q . Not sure what you mean by cutting out the reflector plate. There was a part I just removed that with one screw for the projector to fit but other than that I think they turned out awesome and love them, especially at night.

·
Registered
25 Posts
morimoto mini's dont fit. to long. lens hits the housing. unless someone else here says otherwise it wont work. i tried but maybe i didnt install correctly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought the BKMOTO Kit over the winter. Install wasn't straight forward at the time I did it but they have a Video on Youtube now just for the Gen 4 which would make it easier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIjTPjZqV4Q . Not sure what you mean by cutting out the reflector plate. There was a part I just removed that with one screw for the projector to fit but other than that I think they turned out awesome and love them, especially at night.

i like the angel/halo lights a lot..visited bkmoto.com and there was like 10 different questions they were asking..front halo, back, 3rd ... what do i select?

·
Registered
413 Posts
That is one of the coolest bike mods I've seen JW! How hard was it to install projectors into that bike? I'm thinking of going with the 2013 ZX6R which I believe already has projectors in it. Would a straight swap to HID in the stock projectors work OK?

·
Registered
107 Posts
That is one of the coolest bike mods I've seen JW! How hard was it to install projectors into that bike? I'm thinking of going with the 2013 ZX6R which I believe already has projectors in it. Would a straight swap to HID in the stock projectors work OK?
It wasn't hard just took some time. Since there wasn't any formal instructions at the time I did it there was some trial and error with the wiring. Took maybe 6-7 hours total time. If I did it again probably take half that time.

I think the zx6r already has projectors, you would just need a hid kit then.

I'm going to retro fit projectors on the girls zx10 this winter and if there isn't a diy on here by then I'll write one up as I am doing it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree completely with JW, use as close to true white as possible 4300k. It will be brighter and you will still get the blue flicker effect from refraction off the shield. ( works like a prism.

And majin, you can just put hids in your stock halogen projectors however you won't get a proper beam pattern due to differences in geometry and light intensity, causing glare for oncoming traffic I would recommend swapping your projectors for hid ones. However this takes install time from minutes to several hours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i had hids in my stock housing for about a month. it started to fade the chrome in the housing so i removed them. they also blinded everyone and i mean everyone.

projectors are needed, dont try and skimp. just do it right the first time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is on my to-do-mod list.

Anyone have any tips on getting the lens off the assembly without f-ing up the plastic like the guy does in the video?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts