Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I had originally planned to mount my HID ballasts under my seat now that I have removed my exhaust solenoid, but I'm curious if that may be a bad idea. I know the ballasts generate a good amount of heat, do you think it would generate too much heat and greatly shorten the life of the ballasts? Or even worse possibly cause a fire? I would prefer to get them out of my front fairing and mount them on something sturdy, but safety is sometimes first :)lol:).

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bumpskies... hopefully there are a few more people online now that could help.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^As do many people, I just worry the seat location may be too poor in the airflow department; Especially if I stack the ballasts as I may end up doing. I'm more worried about burning my bike down than I am about burning up a $50 ballast haha.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
dont worry about the ballasts catching fire. they won't be nearly as hot as you think. just warm. plus, the cables from bulb to ballast will not reach to the seat.

I mounted mine right on the brackets that hold the ram air covers. there is the bracket that maybe used to hold the carbon canister or whatever, and this bracket is PERFECT size for the ballast. the ballast just pops into it and two zip-ties secure it in place. The bracket is metal, btw.

Not sure about 1 and 3 gen, but 2 gen is perfect for this.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They make extension harnesses. I would really prefer to put them under there if I could. On my original set that I broke (damn butterfingers...) I had them on a bracket that I made under the front fairing and I never felt it was a very elegant solution.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah you could probably mount them there. I actually was thinking of mounting mine a lil bit lower than mine is now. Now mine is Zip Tied to the bottom of my Ram Air duct and I wanted to mount it like under the tripple so I could get more air flow to it to keep cool.. but I was using shitty ballasts before and I went threw 2 of them in about a year. Now I'm running a SLIM Ballast and havent had any problems with it so far. You could put them under the seat and just make your own extensions or cut and solder the stock connectors. They dont get entirely to hot.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
i put mine on that foam stuff inside the upper. its about the same size as the ballast, used the supplied sticky tape, and fit just fine. i would assume it would be able to tolerate the heat, or they would not have used it in the first place. plus is acts as a vibration dampner. we will see once riding weather comes back.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^Where are you in NC? Other than the damn rain I haven't seen many days that were too cold to ride given the correct gear. Granted, 50 degree weather isn't ideal for the tires.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
near hickory, so i get some of the foot hills cold air. but seems like every day latley its been decent, i have to work. plus its kinda hard to get up and ride when its nice out, cuz i sleep most of the day away. nightshift takes a toll on you.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I'm not down with riding winter nights.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'd like to see these extension's. My manufacturer said that I should never try to extend the wires going to the bulb.

you can find some nice spots to hide them up front. Had them on my 05 and 07 and tucked them away quite nicely.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
I have mine tucked behind the inner panels opposite the mid fairings,........cant see them at all and I am sure they get good air flow,........mine are slim DDM tuning kits....I love em!......will always be first mod on any future bikes I will own!........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts