Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some have suggested installing a HID on the low beam side or both the low and high as an upgrade from the PIAA's.

Question: On a "Gen 1" does anyone have any experience with the HID bulbs infront of the reflectors and how well they work without the projector lens? Before I spend the money and the hassle of the HID's I want to make sure it is an improvement over the PIAA's even without the projector.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yes there will be a great improvement

if you are in the camp that believes blinding other people on the road will get you noticed, this is the way to go...there will be a very great increase in your ability to blind others

if you are in the camp that wants the visibility but also respect others on the road then you'll need to do a proper retrofit

......my 100th post :mrgreen:

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I have had HID's on my 04 for about 2 years now - I wouldn't ride with anything else - better visibility for road hazards and better visibility for you against cagers. The HID kit for my 08 just arrived today, they will be installed and ready before the season even gets here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
yes there will be a great improvement

if you are in the camp that believes blinding other people on the road will get you noticed, this is the way to go...there will be a very great increase in your ability to blind others

if you are in the camp that wants the visibility but also respect others on the road then you'll need to do a proper retrofit

......my 100th post :mrgreen:
Congrats on the hundeth!!! What is included in a "proper" retrofit?? Im in the camp that respects the visibility of others... Is a whole new lens/etc required??

·
Registered
228 Posts
Congrats on the hundeth!!! What is included in a "proper" retrofit?? Im in the camp that respects the visibility of others... Is a whole new lens/etc required??
you have an 07 so it will be easier (at least for the low beam). The cheapest way - just keep your stock projector and get a HID kit for the low beam. B/c of the cut off lines and design of projectors, a simple install like this will only work for the low beam side. The high beam projector is designed differently and you'll need to replace it.

simple run down of what I did:

-- got jaguar projectors off ebay
-- took jaguar projectors apart and mated the bottom end to the lens from stock bike projectors
-- wired up HID kit

I now run 2 low beam projectors on both sides all the time & do not have a high beam anymore. There's a write up on how to do high/lo HID on here some where. but to that you'll need to set up your projectors so it can cut a high or low beam.

our stock projectors cut low beam on one side and high beam on the other, it does not do both.

04/05 bikes need a proper retrofit with projectors to not blind people.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
what kit did you use alien?
I don't remember what kit I have on my 04 - it was a car kit that I "reworked" a little - there weren't any bike specific kits available when I did the conversion. The kit I got for the 08 came from www.starrotors.com - came with both high and low beam and I got the slim ballasts. Gonna take pics of the install on Monday.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't remember what kit I have on my 04 - it was a car kit that I "reworked" a little - there weren't any bike specific kits available when I did the conversion. The kit I got for the 08 came from www.starrotors.com - came with both high and low beam and I got the slim ballasts. Gonna take pics of the install on Monday.
Hey alien i was thinking about gettin HIDs i used this site before on my other two bikes http://www.xenonlink.com/ but http://www.starrotors.com/ has them cheaper. What do you get for $99 both high and lows cause when i tried to order them and it automatically put 2 kits in the cart and 2 sets of slim ballst total came to
$249 thought it would be $124 :dontknow: any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I was thinking of ordering. When I got to checkou t it had one kit with the slim ballast for 124.98. It looks like both sides in pic. That's what I guessing but I will wait to hear from Alien

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was thinking of ordering. When I got to checkou t it had one kit with the slim ballast for 124.98. It looks like both sides in pic. That's what I guessing but I will wait to hear from Alien
from the pic i thought i would get both sides also but when my total was $249 i was like WTF

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Mine came up 124.98 and it said H9/H11 Hid kit. So I :dontknow: guess we will wait for alien with answer. I hope it is both sides cause I like the looks of the kit and it is a reasonable price.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yea it is a good price about $10 cheaper than the kit i was getting ready to order and you get the slim ballast

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I ordered the kit as H9/H11 and then just did an uprgrade to the slim ballasts. My total was $124.98. This is what came in the mail:

hid 001.jpg
It seems to be a quality kit. Due to my crappy work schedule, I should do the install on Monday - I'll post up some pics with a review.

hid 002.jpg
The slim ballasts are tiny! There should no problem hiding these in the fairings.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Awesome im ordering them now thanx again Alien

Reactions: Alien10

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Awesome im ordering them now thanx again Alien
No problem :thumbsup: What color did you order? I got the brilliant blue - its the same color I'm running on my 04.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
I have the purevision dual hid's for my 05 and am getting ready to install soon!....wish it came with those slim ballasts though!!........ANYONE ELSE HERE run the purevision?........

·
Registered
183 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts