Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m a newbie here from Ipswich Suffolk and fingers crossed I’ll be picking up a nice clean 04 10r.

Is there anything that needs to be looked at or any general known issues with them?

Thanks

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
:welcome: Drubert! :welcome:

I would check frame welds, 1st Gens were known to sometimes develop cracks the the frame welds, especially if the bike was abused. In the '04's The generators could grenade the engine and need a shim to keep it from doing that. The '05's didn't have this issue. If you search for it here you can find a lot of info on both issues. The 1st Gens were also named 'Widowmakers' for having a very bad disposition when slammed to full WOT. Headshake is a major issue and a damper is advised to be fitted.

That said, I would not hesitate to own one. I've owned an '05 and loved her dearly. I miss her to this day and wish I never sold her.

:welcome: again, and post pics of her when you get her! :ayyy:

·
Registered
771 Posts
That's droolworthy :welcome:

Still miss my 05 :frown2:

Loved everything about it, even got the brakes to work pretty decent after braided lines and careful bleeding. Needs a steering damper though :wink2:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice! Not gonna lie i had to google your location lol. Dont know much on the first gens but i do know they're an animal!! Welcome and enjoy!

·
Administrator
6,716 Posts
Nice! :thumbsup:

and you have the best color :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm looking at an 04 tomorrow, can't wait to see it. Were there any issues you had to address with yours?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only issue I have is a really annoying buzzing noise when at constant or rolling off the throttle.

Also dont be too worried about it’s reputation. I’ve geared mine -1 +2 and the front doesn’t come up as much as my old VTR. Although get her above 6k and it all goes a bot batshit mental.

You will love it though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would highly agree with the checking the frame welds, one of the best places to look is at the neck of the frame for signs of abuse.

·
Registered
27 Posts
:welcome: Drubert! :welcome:

I would check frame welds, 1st Gens were known to sometimes develop cracks the the frame welds, especially if the bike was abused. In the '04's The generators could grenade the engine and need a shim to keep it from doing that. The '05's didn't have this issue. If you search for it here you can find a lot of info on both issues. The 1st Gens were also named 'Widowmakers' for having a very bad disposition when slammed to full WOT. Headshake is a major issue and a damper is advised to be fitted.

That said, I would not hesitate to own one. I've owned an '05 and loved her dearly. I miss her to this day and wish I never sold her.

:welcome: again, and post pics of her when you get her! :ayyy:
I knew al about these things only the shim to generator????

I have a 2004 and had zero issues with it only my camchain tensioner did not work very well last year and replaced it with manual one

I have heard there is also a problem with the valve retainers cracking sometimes.
I will replace mine soon just to be safe would like to make it as reliable as possible so would like top know if its an easy fix generator shim and what parts need to be removed…

TS :welcome::smile2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
<a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/welcome.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome" >:)</a> Drubert! <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/welcome.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome" >:)</a>

<a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/welcome.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome" >:)</a> again, and post pics of her when you get her! <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/ayyy.gif" border="0" alt="" title="ayyy" >:)</a>

I have a 2004 and had zero issues with it only my camchain tensioner did not work very well last year and replaced it with manual one

I have heard there is also a problem with the valve retainers cracking sometimes.
I will replace mine soon just to be safe would like to make it as reliable as possible so would like top know if its an easy fix generator shim and what parts need to be removed…

TS <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/welcome.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome" >:)</a><a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/ZX-10R_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:)</a>
There's a thread on here with the photos and steps that I saw yesterday. I'll try to attach the photos here if I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
:) Drubert! :)

:) again, and post pics of her when you get her! :)

TS :):)
There's a thread on here with the photos and steps that I saw yesterday. I'll try to attach the photos here if I can.
More photos, I think that's every one. Hope it helps,
Cory

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice. I don’t know if mine has been sorted as yet. I’ll get round to that soon. And the mct!

Thanks guys for all the awesome input

·
Registered
710 Posts
Awesome bike, Ive had FIVE. Two Green ones, an orange one and two Black ones.

I lost two due to the generator wiggling loose. Address that, add a steering damper and the bike is rock solid.

In my experience they make about 155hp stock, 165 with exhaust and tuning and 171 with a SS build. They sure as hell aint slow. The short wheelbase and lots of torque make them a very fun street bike.

No nannies, so respect the wrist.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have engine number zxte006165 so probably mine is also a bad generator one.
But I have 20 000 miles and the bike had been ridden hard often and no issues the ones faling had less mile that I read about so I suspect mine has been changed before I owned it..
Can the dealer see if recall or something has been done to it through frame or engine number.
I am plannig to do some small engine work soon so would like to know what to do and wich part nr I have to order to replace…

My bike made 164 hp with powercommander slip on and KN filter now with full system 169 the gen 5 makes about 30 more with same setup but I prefer the old one for the street the short wheelbase and the way power kicks in around 6-7000 is realy fun the new one is faster but the fun starts later in the rpm range and its way to fast for me on the road…
I can also pull better wheelies on the gen 1:biggrin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Picked this one up the other day. It's engine #9390 so I guess I better check the generator before too long. Runs like a dream aside from the dogs letting slip a little in second gear, but I think I can live with it, I'll just squeeze more out of first gear.
Big upgrade from the ZX9R.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts