Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide if I should replace my handgun with another Sig P228 (.40) or go with an H&K P2000 (.40). Anyone used both weapons? The big difference is the H&K is compact while the Sig is more service sized. I have a carry permit, but have never actually carried a gun so I'm more concerned with how well each gun shoots. I've never had a double-action only gun like the H&K. In trying it out, it seemed like it had a more linear pull than my old sig in single action mode (the mush in the first 2/3 or the pull). Also it has the lightest pull I have ever experienced with a DA. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Go with a Sig P229 (P228 is 9mm) in .40 with the DAK trigger, the DAK trigger is very similar to the H&K trigger but much smoother.
I have owned a H&K P2000 9mm, too much $$$ for no improvement over Glock/Sig/Walther.
My personal choice is a Walther P99 9mm.
I'm a NM CCW instructor and firearms trainer, any questions you have email me.
Since you are in Tenn. give my buds over at http://www.tacticalresponse.com a call (tell 'em Jody H from New Mexico sent you) good guys and you'll learn a TON of information about firearms.
Spend the money to learn how to use your firearm, it'll be money WELL spent.
Just like you weren't born knowing how to ride a ZX10, you weren't born knowing how to safely, effectively handle a firearm.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
The h&K 40 cal is by far the best gun Ive ever shot.

Love the decocker. The quality is great. I dont see how you could be dissapointed with this gun!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
^^^:gay:^^^

·
Registered
583 Posts
king-tony said:
I'm trying to decide if I should replace my handgun with another Sig P228 (.40) or go with an H&K P2000 (.40). Anyone used both weapons? The big difference is the H&K is compact while the Sig is more service sized. I have a carry permit, but have never actually carried a gun so I'm more concerned with how well each gun shoots. I've never had a double-action only gun like the H&K. In trying it out, it seemed like it had a more linear pull than my old sig in single action mode (the mush in the first 2/3 or the pull). Also it has the lightest pull I have ever experienced with a DA. Thanks in advance.
:badteeth: Dam~ I wish I had a desert eagle 44mag with a 14" barrel. :lol:

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
1911. I know that wasn't on the list, but... I've had Sig and HK. Both excellent guns. Accurate, reliable. Really it more what fits your hands. For concealed carry, you want compact. Also, consider that you will be under stress if you ever have to use it. Look at the ergonomics of the safety. Not much of a fan of DA, cocked and locked for me, half the work is already done before you draw. And punching big holes, .45 is hard to beat. If you can shoot worth beans, all you'll need is 1~2 rounds. If you can't hit what you're aiming at, don't even carry. You will be a bigger danger to yourself than the bad guys. Practice, practice, practice and when you're done practice some more. Practice your draw, your site alignment, your trigger control. These skills have a very limited shelf life. Mostly, stay out of situations that could get you into a "situation".

·
Registered
177 Posts
The HK has more of a kick than the sig. I love the springfield XD40. Thats the one I'm going to get.

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JodyH said:
Go with a Sig P229 (P228 is 9mm) in .40 with the DAK trigger, the DAK trigger is very similar to the H&K trigger but much smoother.
I have owned a H&K P2000 9mm, too much $$$ for no improvement over Glock/Sig/Walther.
My personal choice is a Walther P99 9mm.
I'm a NM CCW instructor and firearms trainer, any questions you have email me.
Since you are in Tenn. give my buds over at http://www.tacticalresponse.com a call (tell 'em Jody H from New Mexico sent you) good guys and you'll learn a TON of information about firearms.
Spend the money to learn how to use your firearm, it'll be money WELL spent.
Just like you weren't born knowing how to ride a ZX10, you weren't born knowing how to safely, effectively handle a firearm.

Thanks for the good info. Why do you prefer 9mm over .40 or 10mm? And you are correct, I had a P226 not a P228.

·
Registered
267 Posts
After reviewing and analyzing hundreds of shootings, and reading tons of bullet research material. I've learned that as long as you have a service caliber ie: 9mm, .40, .45, .357mag, .38sp+p, .357sig etc. they all expand and penetrate almost identically. They are so close that emergency room doctors and coroners cannot tell what caliber made the wound unless the bullet is recovered.
Some are better at barrier penetration like auto glass (.357sig, 9mm +p) some expand to slightly larger diameter (.45 will expand approx .10" larger than most 9mm's).
Every caliber is a compromise somewhere.
I prefer 9mm because it has excellent terminal ballistics (penetration and expansion are in the optimal range) is easy to shoot, usually allows higher capacity in the same package, and is cheap to practice with (which improves your hit percentages).
My prefered carry load is the 9mm Speer GoldDot 124 grain +p.
If I was you, I'd choose the Sig P228 or P229 (almost identical pistols) in 9mm.
Mainly because you are already familiar with Sigs and 9mm would allow you to get 1000 rounds or so of practice ammo for under $100.
That 1000 rounds of practice (preferably under the eyes of a good instructor) will do you FAR more good than the latest "wonder gun".

1 - 20 of 134 Posts