Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, i don't know very much about dirtbikes, but i want to learn a little. i may be moving from florida to the pacific northwest. there's a lot of mountain/trail riding up there, and i want to add to my garage. i'm trying to find out what model would be good for me. i'm fairly big, 5'11"/230 lbs. i would like something in the 5k range. i think the KLX300R looks like it would suit me. i don't want a straight up motocrosser. any other bikes i should consider? maybe an dual purpose that handles off road better than on-road? i don't know.....any advice?:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
If you are open to other brands you could look for a good, used honda XR650. They are very good for trail riding and I think they can be street legal if you wanted to go the dual purpose route.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It's not a kawi, but suzuki makes a decent dualsport in the 400. I think it is a DRZ-400. Uses the same engine that's in the 400 quad. Puts out about 30 hp, enough to get you where you want to go but not get you into trouble too fast. I'm a bigger guy and trail ride also. I ride a KTM 300exc. It is a two stroke but pulls like a four stroke. It's not street legal but it does have a headlight, taillight, and kickstand. You can pick up a used one of those in good condition for $1500-$2500. Also, some of the newer four strokes come in a trail version with lights and wide ratio transmissions, but they are alittle more pricey.

If you are new to dirt bikes and are riding trails/mountians, I would get something used with alittle more power. Put some good tires on it and put a Rekluse auto clutch in it and ride like a champ.

Oh yeah, if you can find one for sale, the Honda XR400 was a good bike. That engine was about bulletproof.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rekluse auto clutch?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a 500cc 2-stroke? sweet jesus.........

·
Registered
959 Posts
Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki all have Duel-Pupose bikes. I would look into them. That way you can ride to the trails... I would suggest the Honda or Kawasaki... The Honda has been there and done that at the Baja 1000... But I would sit on one. I think they are kinda tall..

Chad

·
Registered
6,354 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
coastiepete said:
Howdy, i don't know very much about dirtbikes, but i want to learn a little. i may be moving from florida to the pacific northwest. there's a lot of mountain/trail riding up there, and i want to add to my garage. i'm trying to find out what model would be good for me. i'm fairly big, 5'11"/230 lbs. i would like something in the 5k range. i think the KLX300R looks like it would suit me. i don't want a straight up motocrosser. any other bikes i should consider? maybe an dual purpose that handles off road better than on-road? i don't know.....any advice?:dontknow:
I've got a buddy selling his KLX 300 he's about your size.
if your just starting out it's a good solid ride and eazy to move around.
He's going to upgrade to the 450 but its $6800 otd ...damn
the KTM's are pretty darn good too you can get the 450ex with both super motard and dirt wheels

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
avdigigeek said:
I've got a buddy selling his KLX 300 he's about your size.
if your just starting out it's a good solid ride and eazy to move around.
He's going to upgrade to the 450 but its $6800 otd ...damn
the KTM's are pretty darn good too you can get the 450ex with both super motard and dirt wheels
so he liked the KLX, just wants something bigger? where is he at?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
coastiepete said:
so he liked the KLX, just wants something bigger? where is he at?
yep he loved it just wants something bigger.
He also had the zx12 and now has a 14 he's a power guy if you knwo what I mean
he's lives here in IL we're south of 80 so you could pic it up on your way out west while your moveing.
I'll get you his info if it works for you.

regardless if you get his bike or not the klx300 is a good trail bike to start out with.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
natisfinestzx10r said:
i love my kx 500 its a blast just like ridin a 10 off road
That bike scares me way more than my zx10. Its like being on a really wild roller coaster. While you're on it, it scares the hell outta ya. But when you get off, you want right back on!

My opinion for a bike for ya man is an XR650. It will be good for you being a bigger guy. I'm not a big man of the DRZ cause it is quite a bit heavier.

·
I bleed Green!
2,612 Posts
If you have the money brand new is the way to go KX 450F $ 6,899.00 is a sweet bike.
I my self ride a 04 WR 250 Love it, the prices was right $1500.00, I've beat the crap out of it. Its a great trail/ jumping bike. It has a head light so make fun ridin when the sun goes down. No turn signles or break lights so you don't have to worry about breakin anything. Heres a couple pics.
Not mine just a pic
Kx 450

Mine WR 250 4 stroke

Here's one of my favorite spots, all be gettin some real time video next time. We have a 4 story x 100 or so yards table top I just learnd to clear, About 7 to 9 seconds air time. WOW

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm an avid dirtbiker....My opinion is a wr450 from yamaha. Or a 525 KTM. Drz is way too underpowered and heavy, xr650 is a 350 lbs pig. Not much fun picking that much wieght up when you fall. Your weight says hell no to a 250 four stroke and four strokes are way easier to ride (more fun) than 250 two strokes. Honda 450's are light and handle great.....but, they are notorious for valve problems. So unless you want to do ALOT of maintenance and spend alot on head rebuilds, stay away from them. Yamaha's are super reliable if you do nothing more than change the oil and clean the air filter. I also highly recomend the rekluse clutch. Best 400 bucks you'll ever spend on a trail bike. Jason

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
coastiepete said:
I have played the Pacific Northwest trails. If you are into hill climbing with a single track (or you are trail blazing your own track), definitely get something bigger with good suspension. A lot of rocks, roots, washes to contend with. Anything over 300cc would prolly work for ya.Being able to touch the ground with your feet is a nice thing also. I am not a fan of the DR though, the ktm 300 or 450 looks more my next choice.

·
I bleed Green!
2,612 Posts
blackmagic said:
I'm an avid dirtbiker....My opinion is a wr450 from yamaha. Or a 525 KTM. Drz is way too underpowered and heavy, xr650 is a 350 lbs pig. Not much fun picking that much wieght up when you fall. Your weight says hell no to a 250 four stroke and four strokes are way easier to ride (more fun) than 250 two strokes. Honda 450's are light and handle great.....but, they are notorious for valve problems. So unless you want to do ALOT of maintenance and spend alot on head rebuilds, stay away from them. Yamaha's are super reliable if you do nothing more than change the oil and clean the air filter. I also highly recomend the rekluse clutch. Best 400 bucks you'll ever spend on a trail bike. Jason
:+1:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts