Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wasnt able to ride for a month and a half due to work situation, anyway.... went to start her up today to go out for sunday and she refused to start. battery seemed fine cranked up really good no weak crank here. just wouldn't start. let it sit for a few then tried again and it started right up but man it was running really rough. backfired even a few times when i tried to give it any gas. and just refused to stay running. the tank was almost empty so i went got gas brought it home filled it back up. started up again but really rough again. it did eventually smooth out but now, which i must say i have not ever heard before, have a pretty loud noise i wouldnt say a ticking kinda like maybe gears meshing type of noise coming from around where the back half of the engine is under the front seat area. or at least thats where it sounds like its coming from. im going to change the oil today also. now the bike just doesnt want to run right????
if the battery was really low i have the pc3 usb, would it have lost its map?? do i have to put the map back in since this happened just thinking maybe that could be why its running so rough?? any thoughts would be great thanks

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
There are shops that ship PC's with "custom" maps already installed and there's no power source so it shouldn't have "lost the map" due to a low battery. Not sure what the problem is, but I'm confident that a lost map isn't it. At least I'm confident that the map wasn't lost due to low battery issues.

Oh, and moved to Tech... :wink:

·
Registered
350 Posts
sounds weird to me,,,, sometimes if you flood the bike/car,,, it doese that,, runs rough... but it goes away soon after start up... check the oil... if not that,,, take it to the shop..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what could be making the noise from the motor back there though???kinda between where the front sprocket is and the clutch cover on the other side somewhere inbetween is what it sounds like. not at a specific rpm either even if i give it just a hair of throtle i can still hear it. any sugeestions as to what it could be?? i mean if i bring it in im just tryin to get some idea cause my dealer is a bunch of assholes!!!! they always say everything is fine even when i know its not. i have another dealer but almost 1.5 hrs away. thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also im sure this is redundant but what oil do you guys recc i use. thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i filled the tank up with 93 and bike seems to be running fine now with only one backfire. i even had a couple of these prior probably due to the pc. it does seem like it runs a little rich. i got the map from muzzy for thier full system. anyway noise seems to be still there though. could this be a timing chain noise i am hearing?? i had a (i know i know) honda rc51 prior to this and hardly ever heard a peap out of it.

and really change the plugs?? just curious why do you think it would be them?
im going to get oil but as i asked above any specific kind i should use in the 10. this will be the first time i do it in the 10. thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't know how hard this is but I would eliminate the PC as a potential problem: return the engine to stock. Then see how it behaves.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tried that like i said the bike runs ok now just this noise is really loud dont want to damage anything by riding it. im gonna do the oil here in a bit. maybe that will help.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
zfactor2004 said:
tried that like i said the bike runs ok now just this noise is really loud dont want to damage anything by riding it. im gonna do the oil here in a bit. maybe that will help.
Is it under warrenty still ??? I would take it to the dealer.
I would also get a custom map asap.

·
Registered
350 Posts
dude,,, u have a full muzzys system? if so... dont go back to stock map... from where your saying the noise is coming from,,, maybe the crank.. im with EL on the map thing,, i dont think it would be that. the zx10 is a very noisy bike though.. very thin walls... change the oil and check for metal chavings..an im useing 10_40 silkolien semi syn,,, but goung to change to 20_50,,, dam thing is getting hot...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ok i know the bike w/filter takes 3l of oil. is there any way to test to make sure it not to full or i have to add more. i hane not really ever done my own bike worl till the 10. i work on cars all day though so it cant be to bad. anyway changed the filter and put most of the 3l of oil in but want to make sure i dont put to much or to little in. thanks

also i tried the stock map and then went back to the muzzy map. the motor seems to be running ok now but i have seen on here about the noise from the timing chain could this be what i hear??? thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
First of all, it's never good to leave an almost empty fuel tank, especially with the bike sitting for over a month. The more fuel in the tank, the better the protection from rust/corrosion.

I would run the motor with the tank propped up, and try to isolate where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i was looking for that but didnt see it ill have to look again prob just looked right over it what would propping up the tank do??? you mean to listen for where its coming from??? i filled the tank back up so its full now. its starts right up now. i am gonna get my stethascope from work tomm to see if i can narrow it down to a exact location the noise is horrible.
can anyone describe the chain noise that everyone gets??? is it like i loud tapping or more like a metal baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle??? thats kinda how i can describe this. the metal card that is

·
Registered
350 Posts
i think the bike is a little to noisy for a stethascope... my 2 cents,,,, take it to the dealer.... if its comeing from behind the block,,,, doesent sound good.... could be a bearing noise,, rod or crank :dontknow: ,, were all guessing

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im gonna still give it a shot first, like i said my local dealer are assholes there. i would honestly never buy a bike from them ever again. so in order to bring it to the dealer i would have to go almost 1.5 hrs to get to the next dealer. i work on high performance imports all day long so im used to some pretty noisy motors but you may be right about it being to noisy. doesnt make to much sense though why it would be anything major hardly has miles on it and ive been really pretty conservative throughout the break in time. i mean i wound it up a little a few times but never took it at all close to redline during the 500 miles it has on it. just wouldnt make to much sense for it to be a rod etc.... but i guess anything is possible. i got the warranty till 09 so im good there.
im gonna test the oil i got out of it tomm to see whats in it, (one of the companies we deal with does this for us on some of the supras and 300z' etc... just to make sure all is good in there)
whats the best time to switch to synthetic oil in this i know everyone seems to have thier own opinion though on this. i did not use it this time but wanted to. a couple of bike mechanics said i should not use it yet with only 500 miles on the bike?? thanks

also like i said it "appears" to be coming from back there. but with all the noise of this motor it my not be but it does sound like it with my ear

1 - 18 of 18 Posts