Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I just recently purchased my first zx10 last month. It's a 2006 that has 34k miles on it. Since I've purchased it I've been doing some maintenance on it waiting for the weather to get warm. The problem I've been consistently having is that I'm getting hesitatoin on acceleration. It happens in the low RPM's only in 1st and 2nd from what I've experienced. Thought it was the spark plugs and changed those with the OE recommended iridium plugs. After that the bike had a TON of low end torque. The old ones were pretty nasty. Still had some hesitation tho only it wasn't as bad. Here's a list of things I've done to the bike since I had it:

Brand new oil and filter
Brand new fork seals and oil
Cleaned and recharged air filter
Brand new spark plugs
Brand new fuel filter
Removed and cleaned fuel injectors and throttle bodies.

Once I replaced the fuel filter the problem almost completely resolved for a day or two. Now it still hesitates but it's not as often as before and definitely not as bad. For example, on a 30 ,minute ride, if I come across 10 stop lights it'll hesitate from a complete stop about 5 times.
Before I bought the bike the previous owner had the valves adjusted at 26k miles, it has an akrapovic slip on with a PCV. I assume it has a tune but not 100%. It does have the secondary air injector blocked off and the butterfly valves disabled. The cable was physically cut and motor removed. I do not know if the exhaust was gutted but on the mid pipe the factory Allen head bolts were removed and replaced with hex head bolts but the exhaust is NOT obnoxiously loud like others have said it would be if it was decatted. That's all the info I have I believe. I tried to include as much as possible to give you a complete picture.
I've read the dozens of threads on this but everyone seems to have a different solution to this common problem and I haven't found out why mine is happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that myself. I tried tinkering with the PCV last night but couldn't get the firmware to update. Looking at the table, it has a lot of negative values all throughout the RPM range as well as the throttle %. I need to get it taken in to get a proper baseline and see if that may be the issue. I also considered getting a fuel pressure test done but the bike has no issue throughout the entire RPM band except for the very low RPM's at take off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a too lean mixture.
Looks like it was a fueling issue. I got the firmware thing fixed on my PCV and uploaded a custom map from another member on here and it performs better. Took it on a 30 mile test ride and no hesitation like before. A little spudder once but I think once the map is fine tuned it'll run better because this one is really rich. I'm getting popping on deceleration. I'm gonna check the fuel pump pressure just to be sure but I'm pretty confident that once I get a custom tune my issue will be resolved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts