Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had brand new zx14 calipers and m/c, kawi race intake cam, .45 and .50 head gaskets, bmc race filter, new plugs and 1/5 throttle insert sitting in my garage for few months now. Before I just couldn't be bothered but now it's more than that.

Currently my 05 10R has 162hp atw (feels snappy and plenty of power in low and mid range) and the mods are:
Yoshimura TRS slip-on, Michelin Pilot Power, Z1000 16T, D.I.D chain, Speedohealer, Acumen gear indicator, Double-light module, Hyperpro RSC, PC3usb, Galfer ss-lines, Rumble Concept fender eliminator

Now that the winter is here I want to start modding the bike again however I am hesitating with installing the race cam and gasket because I don't trust my tuner. What I mean by that is that the tuner has his own workshop and wants to install the intake cam and gasket himself (basically wants to charge more) and if I don't let him do the work I don't know if he'll be as enthusiastic with my bike (from what others told me he won't be very passionate). I don't have access to other tuners and he is a good tuner but I wouldn't let anyone touch my bike but my mechanic especially if they want to milk some extra cash of me for no reason.

The reason I bought the cam and the gasket was from what i've read in this forum I would get to keep most or all the power and torque from low and mid plus MORE everywhere. However with the new situation I do not want to open the engine because if I'm not happy with something it is difficult to go back to stock. It is not like doing external mods where I can remove it whenever I like and put the tune back to stock.

So now what I am thinking is I'll just install the race filter and a full akra system as power mods and get the bike tuned. What do you guys think? Will the full akra and race filter be satisfactory or will I miss the low-mid feeling without the cam and gasket? Should I just keep the bike the way it is? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Where are you located?
AS there are many good tuners/builders out there, so it is very possible to find someone that is better then who you are dealing with right now.

I will end doing this mod sometime in the future and i know my tuner has no issue with me bringing in a motor for him to work on and then me reinstalling it in the bike and him tuning it.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you located?
AS there are many good tuners/builders out there, so it is very possible to find someone that is better then who you are dealing with right now.

I will end doing this mod sometime in the future and i know my tuner has no issue with me bringing in a motor for him to work on and then me reinstalling it in the bike and him tuning it.
Far away from U.S. I only have one authorised dynojet tuner in my area, btw he is a good tuner. However I don't buy the "I will adjust the cams, measure the valve clearances, make sure everything is ok, and then tune it" stuff, my mechanic works on more kawasakis then the tuner saw all his life. Like I said his tuning is good but in this case he is trying to get rich quick and I refuse to pay for that.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
how much does he want for the cam instal and shimming the valves?

ya know, if you have the tools you could do it your self.... theres plenty of guys on here can give you how to's with out even looking at the manual like me and a few others.....

its not a horribly bad job, setting timing might be tricky but hell we can get in a chat room and talk step by step if your computer is near your bike lol....

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

ya know, if you have the tools you could do it your self.... theres plenty of guys on here can give you how to's with out even looking at the manual like me and a few others.....

its not a horribly bad job, setting timing might be tricky but hell we can get in a chat room and talk step by step if your computer is near your bike lol....
I don't know how much he wants, I never asked since I don't want him to touch the engine. Last time it took him 15mins to find a single screw in that messy workshop to block the emissions hose. My mechanic will do it properly and will charge me a reasonable fee, plus if anything goes wrong due to his workmanship he'll take responsibility.

The problem is when the tuning time comes he'll know I had the stuff done and did not consult his "expertise" or use his "shop" and that worries me because the word on the street :) is he had similar issues with few others.

Like you said, there is plenty of help in this forum, and guys like you have shared their tested cam settings and other info to help others so I just need my mechanic to install the stuff.

Anyway, what I am thinking is to maybe just install full akra system and a race filter. I will probably leave the cam and gasket as a future option since there is no going back once they are in. Do you think adding akra+filter will satisfy or bike in its current state is more responsive and fun?

·
Registered
742 Posts

:+1: :thumbsup:

From your words, what you really fear is the final tunning. And this is pretty easy. You don´t need a tunner for that. Just attatch a Lambda sensor to your Akra and connect a digital voltmeter to it, and start taking notes. We can give you how to´s for this job also. It´s pretty easy but time consuming, and best done at the track. You also would need a laptop to adjust the PCIII map accordingly. You may do the tunning far more easy (and quick) if you get a Wide Band Commander.:clap:
:zx_blk:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah you could go the wide band data logging way. might be a more reasonable type of thing and theres certainly a lot of people running data loggers these days to help you. I'm familiar with a few of the systems on the market but...

ya know you can just say that its the exhaust thats making the power ya know? are you planning on putting the exhaust on your self?

daytona sensors just came out with their WEGO III which is waterproof and USB and a new screen but they are about 400 bux for everything.

on the other hand if your spending 300~ on a custom tune which is just a computer program doing the work for them then your paying for what you get. With a data logger you can do what ever mods you want and re-tune the bike your self as many times as you want and for what ever conditions your in.

In my opinion.... as you can see from my mod list.... while your in there might as well do what you can do right? Doing a head gasket isnt the easiest thing to do if your short tempered but very very easily done with the right procedures and confidence..... shouldnt be to hard of a task even for the shadetree mechanic as long as everything is done nice and neat and properly.

Let us know what you decide to do...

also keep in mind what if you want to do the race cam n gasket later, your gunna have to pay for tuning once again...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah you could go the wide band data logging way. might be a more reasonable type of thing and theres certainly a lot of people running data loggers these days to help you. I'm familiar with a few of the systems on the market but...

ya know you can just say that its the exhaust thats making the power ya know? are you planning on putting the exhaust on your self?

daytona sensors just came out with their WEGO III which is waterproof and USB and a new screen but they are about 400 bux for everything.

on the other hand if your spending 300~ on a custom tune which is just a computer program doing the work for them then your paying for what you get. With a data logger you can do what ever mods you want and re-tune the bike your self as many times as you want and for what ever conditions your in.

In my opinion.... as you can see from my mod list.... while your in there might as well do what you can do right? Doing a head gasket isnt the easiest thing to do if your short tempered but very very easily done with the right procedures and confidence..... shouldnt be to hard of a task even for the shadetree mechanic as long as everything is done nice and neat and properly.

Let us know what you decide to do...

also keep in mind what if you want to do the race cam n gasket later, your gunna have to pay for tuning once again...
I don't think it's the exhaust making the power but if I decide not to use the cam and the gasket, exhaust and race filter are the only thing that I haven't done. Just not sure if it'll be worth it. I will get the mechanic to install it. Lately I don't have much time for D.I.Y. due to my work.

Garth I know you have a lot of experience and knowledge on this subject and your last sentence summarises my mission with these mods, everything has to be done nice and neat and properly. Since I don't have the time myself, my mechanic can do that for me.

The tuner is in U.S. atm, but I will talk to him once again when he comes back and if he insists to do the work himself, I'll cancel or postpone cam and gasket to a future date.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:+1: :thumbsup:

From your words, what you really fear is the final tunning. And this is pretty easy. You don´t need a tunner for that. Just attatch a Lambda sensor to your Akra and connect a digital voltmeter to it, and start taking notes. We can give you how to´s for this job also. It´s pretty easy but time consuming, and best done at the track. You also would need a laptop to adjust the PCIII map accordingly. You may do the tunning far more easy (and quick) if you get a Wide Band Commander.:clap:
:zx_blk:
Yes, what I really fear is the tuner not tuning my bike properly or as enthusiastically and telling me things like "well that's how you brought the bike, this is what I can do, they must've adjust this wrong, that wrong etc.".

I don't mean to sound negative but I don't have a lambda sensor, a digital voltmeter and wideband commander. Even if I bought all that I don't have time that's why I envy you Americans sometimes because most of you have time for your hobbies, I work 5.5 - 6days a week. Plus don't I need to still take the bike on a dyno, I mean doing consequitve WOT runs on the street would be quite risky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts