Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i'm in need of some assistance. At start up, my bike's idle will jump to 6000, then drop off to 2000. this started happening after I installed a PCIII, Yoshimura bolt ons, BMC race filter, and a 1/5 throttle conversion. the bike is a 06' 10, with 5,900m on it. is this a problem anyone else has ran into? Any suggestions on what'll fix it?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
hello all, i'm in need of some assistance. At start up, my bike's idle will jump to 6000, then drop off to 2000. this started happening after I installed a PCIII, Yoshimura bolt ons, BMC race filter, and a 1/5 throttle conversion. the bike is a 06' 10, with 5,900m on it. is this a problem anyone else has ran into? Any suggestions on what'll fix it?
you didn't install the TRE and do the Sub-throttle adjustment by any chance did you? If not I would think the cable is sticking on your 1/5 throttle conversion as the next thing to look at.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Geez hard to say for sure. I would consider checking the throttle free play first. You may need some adjustment there. Be sure you have a little play and that the throttle closes easily. Also consider tweeking your idle adjustment if you are close to where it needs to be and you know the throttle isn't sticking.

The bike shouldn't just do that from what you have put on the bike. That would be something that a timing module or eliminator could do, but not just a pc or physical mods (not electrical).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you're saying I should install the TRE? It actually started before I did the 1/5, i was about to do it, then stopped, because I didn't have a dremel, then after having this problem, thought maybe I screwed somthing up, and went on a did it, however it continued. I didn't lift the tank though, and adjust the cables on the throttle body side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's what I was thinking axo, I guess I'll just have to lift the tank again, and try the idle adjustment, and cable adjustment. Any suggestions on proper adjustment on the cables?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You may be able to get to your throttle adjustment cables without taking the tank off. Ideally from the shop, we put a decent amount of slack in them, but I don't run mine that way. Main thing you can do is pull the throttle back to say 25% and listen for the butterflys to clack shut when you let go of the throttle. That will tell you if they are letting things completely close off. If you pull the throttle say to 100% and release, it usually has enough tension to slam everything shut. So you only need to test this by turning the throttle 25% or less that way a lot of force isn't built up. You do this with the bike NOT RUNNING.

Idle adjustment would be lower on the list of what to look for. Because you really didn't touch that stuff. I would also consider taking the throttle assembly back off the handlebar and making sure the cables haven't gotten caught up or tweeked in there somehow. Also make sure the two cables are correctly coming out of the throttle case assembly on the handlebar. Twisting those up can mess things up. Even follow your throttle lines back over to the frame and make sure they don't look like they are kinking up badly somewhere.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Be sure not to adjust the screws actually on the throttle bodies. A guy did that this past summer thinking it was the idle adjustment. Well it indirectly is. Crank the bike and it red lines. Pull in the clutch, it red lines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, i've taken the assembly back apart a few times now, to double check that, and i'm taking the tank back off now, to check that adjustment to be on the safe side. i've heard also that you have to set the throttle position on the PC, if that wasn't done before starting the bike, would it possibly cause this problem? i've tried setting it now, but i'm wondering if maybe i'm too late, and need to reset everything.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Your idle adjustment screw is on the left side of the bike close to the fram. It is clipped on to a water hose. Its just a little turn knob. Adjusting the idle on the throttle bodies throws off your throttle positioning sensor. Yes you can change that with the PC. However it shouldn't be thrown off unless you picked the PC up from someone who had really been messing with the TPS on the PC. If you bought the PC new, that wouldn't likely be the cause of your problem.

What exactly did you do to the bike before this problem started happening?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Just got your PM, the exhaust by itself shouldn't cause that much of a change. Only thing that it could do is make the bike idle slightly higher. But the surge is what is throwing me off unless cables are tweeked somewhere.

Messing with your TPS is not a smart thing to be doing. I only suggest making slight changes using the idle adjustment screw I mentioned on the left side of the bike above the chain guard. Through the whole line of stuff, it is essentially messing with your TPS but you are less likely to get things bad outta whack with it than you would adjusting on the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i feel you, yea, all i've done to the bike performance wise, is the air filter, exhaust, PCIII, 1/5, and I have a TRE, but didn't install it yet. The PC was new, but like i said, after it started this, i tried to calibrate the TPS, but it had zero effect, and I even tried running the zero map, with no results. that's why the only thing i can thhink of is the cable adjustments.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yeah I'd check the cables first man. Let us know what you find and then we'll try to go from there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts