Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So just changed my valve cover gasket and did a coolant flush and now bike cranks if I give it throttle but won't stay running. As soon as I release the throttle it dies. Any input?

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
So since I'm obviously getting so much feedback...I fixed the problem from original post. I did a free play adjustment on throttle and adjusted the idle. Was running like a champ up until it wasn't. I rode about an hour and everything was running great and then throttle died she was still running but throttle wasn't working. I could get it to rev up sporadically for about an 1/8th Mile and then she died. Was able to pull over and get my bike home but now will not crank. Wants to fire extremely bad like right on the verge. I noticed the coolant was low in the reserve tank as well where as it hadn't been before. But since I just changed it, I'm thinking air in the lines and unrelated to my problem at hand. I changed to much stuff at one time, unfortunately, so having trouble narrowing it down. I changed the valve cover gasket and used silicone sealant at the points the service manual mentioned. I changed spark plugs using factory OEM NGK's, drained coolant and put engine ice in, and did a valve cover gasket. The bike has right at 107,000 miles so needless to say some parts were hard to crank lose. One of them being ignition coils, I was as careful as I could be and tried not to pry with the connection part of the coil. I don't think I damaged them but I did have to use some pliers and just pure brute strength to pry them SOBs up. I don't believe it messed them up but I could be wrong and am going to test them with Ohm reader tomorrow. I am also planning on checking for spark with the plugs as well. Now my OEM fuel line got kinked and I replaced it with an EFI 1/4" hose with EFI screw tight clamps, the ones with no sharp edges. There does not appear to be any leakage from either hose connection. There doesn't appear to be any leakage at all, no FI light, no unusual sounds. Fuel pump starts and runs about 4 seconds and spits about to the bottom rim of a normal red solo cup worth of gas. I just want to get the damn thing fixed. I'm on day 4 of messing with her and shes been a real b**ch. I don't know how you bigger riders manage to work on any of these. I got more narrow hands than most and for me the struggle was real. But I've done everything on the bike so far and its at 107,000 so.....but this my forum fam has got me up shits creek, stumped right now. Any input would be great, and any GA riders who want to help the would be even greater. But some input would be nice 馃え

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
No connectors left unplugged because it ran for awhile then went kaput...I checked spark plugs for gap and condition on tips about to do spark test and did both ohm test on coils...all were in spec. Just learned of another problem though. When I take gas tank off and put it on ground fuel keeps leaking out of the EFI hose not a strong leak but it does trickle. And thoughts on this?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Alright blink I sprayed some starter fluid in throttle body and she did crank. Sounded like shit and was cranked only for a minute but did crank so what is my next step?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
So update on what I found out today...coils in spec, getting spark, battery is good, and started with starter fluid. I did notice when I pulled the tank line off, forgetting to open the tank to relieve pressure that there wasn't really any pressure in the line. After doing some digging, people are saying fuel pump. I am thinking maybe clogged up somewhere so I will be removing fuel pump for inspection after I test with a gauge to see what pressure is at prior to injectors. Haven't messed with injectors yet as I hope it is fuel pump issue. Don't know if going to an EFI line fucked anything up so any input on that matter would be helpful.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
So basically tomorrow I will be checking pressure in fuel line right before fuel rail, pulling pump to check filter and pressure regulator, probably resistance check on injectors and the hearing test on injectors, oh, and trying not to blow myself up

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Alright update for whoever is following....started with fuel pump today and found a little debris in filter but not enough for my issue. However the viton rubber grommet had broken apart and two pieces were stuck in my intake chamber so this would explain all symptoms. Putting back together tomorrow after parts dry out. I made a video of full disassembly of fuel pump if anyone needs that as well. *Fingers crossed* this fixes my Holly

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Is Holly doin her thing proper like?
She is back in action and running like a champ. So the piece that broke is called a fuel pump grommet and I could only find one company that sold the same thing. So for anyone else Quantum sells a 10$ grommet if the price breaks on anybody else's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts