Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with a problem? I have an 08 zx10r. The bike has been laid down. Right after it was being fixed the recall on the rectifier was changed. Now the bike is healthy running EXCEPT when im in first gear with a wide open throttle and it dies out right when im about to hit the limiter. It's done this to me alot but it only happens in 1st gear. It happened once in second gear in a high rpm but never has since.just in first gear. After i turn the key a couple times and let it sit for maybe 2 minutes it starts right back up with no problem as if nothing was wrong.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,619 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like you need to be looking into the sensors a bit more. Normally this stuff is a related to a fueling issue (pump pressure or pinched line). Since the bike was on it's side, you should check and bypass the tip-over sensor to see if that was damaged and causing your issues. It's strange that it only happens in one gear and not any others.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can anyone help me with a problem? I have an 08 zx10r. The bike has been laid down. Right after it was being fixed the recall on the rectifier was changed. Now the bike is healthy running EXCEPT when im in first gear with a wide open throttle and it dies out right when im about to hit the limiter. It's done this to me alot but it only happens in 1st gear. It happened once in second gear in a high rpm but never has since.just in first gear. After i turn the key a couple times and let it sit for maybe 2 minutes it starts right back up with no problem as if nothing was wrong.
There's no magical sequence to start the bike. It should just start. Turning the key a couple times, letting it sit for a couple minutes is not what allows the bike to run.

Not making a joke, but more of a point, which leads to the question, what is going on during those 2 minutes of you turning the key a couple times? When you turn the key, does your fuel pump prime? Do your gauges go through their "startup" phase. What happens before those two minutes when you press the starter? What's it sound like? Strong, weak, different at all as compared to when the bike does properly start?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the bike dies i quickly pull the clutch and turn the key to off and flip it into neutral. Turn the key back to on and the "startup" is just like it was the day i bought it before it was on its side. It sounds strong just doesn't run. Then i repeat maybe about 2 more times with the third or maybe 4th try it turns on as if nothing happened. Strong cranking every time. Where is the tip sensor?

·
Registered
146 Posts
When the bike dies i quickly pull the clutch and turn the key to off and flip it into neutral. Turn the key back to on and the "startup" is just like it was the day i bought it before it was on its side. It sounds strong just doesn't run. Then i repeat maybe about 2 more times with the third or maybe 4th try it turns on as if nothing happened. Strong cranking every time. Where is the tip sensor?
So your fuel pump primes? Yes or no?

If the tip sensor was malfunctioning, you wouldn't get a fuel pump prime, nor would you get spark. Because you indicate without clarification that the bike sounds like it did when it was "new" but just doesn't start... It is NOT your tip sensor!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can you tell if the fuel pump primes? Everything is the same on the display when i turn the key to the "on" position whether its before i ride or after it dies while opening the trottle.
And ok I'm forgetting about the tip sensor now.

·
Registered
361 Posts
How can you tell if the fuel pump primes? Everything is the same on the display when i turn the key to the "on" position whether its before i ride or after it dies while opening the trottle.
And ok I'm forgetting about the tip sensor now.
Fuel pump will make a buzzing noise similar to an electric motor. Background noise may interfere with you hearing it. Next time you start bike and turn key with power on (before you start) listen for the buzzing sound. That's the fuel pump priming.

You got two of the best helping you diagnose by the way. Wish you luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i will try to listen to it next time it dies while riding. It always primes any other time i want to start it i just haven't noticed if it primes after it dies. The weather is against me today but I'll find some time to give you that info!

And sweet! I have no doubt both of you will help me out with this fast! Thank you!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,619 Posts
So your fuel pump primes? Yes or no?

If the tip sensor was malfunctioning, you wouldn't get a fuel pump prime, nor would you get spark. Because you indicate without clarification that the bike sounds like it did when it was "new" but just doesn't start... It is NOT your tip sensor!

This is correct. The bike won't even start, let alone run if the tip-over switch is activated. BUT, if it gets inadvertently triggered in 1st gear near redline, the engine will shutdown (that's it's purpose). If the fuel was the issue, then it would be an issue in gears 2nd through 6th also. I was only making the suggestion based on the way the motor is dying. The other thing to check is the sidestand safety switch. If either of those switches are activated, the motor dies. If the tip-over or sidestand switch stay activated, there will be no restart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the crazy things is that it happens often, but not all the time. When i want to try and race someone from a start line when im stopped the bike will die when i I'm out of the friction zone on the clutch when the rpms are high.

·
Registered
146 Posts
TIf the tip-over or sidestand switch stay activated, there will be no restart.
Which is why I personally would confirm proper operation of the fuel pump first, because that alone can possibly eliminate 2 potential sources for his issue. That is to say, if his pump IS priming but the bike still doesn't start, it can't be the sidestand or tip over sensors. If his pump IS NOT priming, then it could be one of those items, or a host of other things as well. I don't know <<< not a tech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts