Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm going to list the 636 for sale, but I can't seem to find any consistent pricing information on any in it's condition. I tried Kelly Blue Book and I think their "retail" price is WAY low. My ride is in excellent condition with 414 miles on it. I've pretty much decided to take the mods (Pazzo shorties, Akrapovic slip-on, and Attack rearsets at least. Not worried about the PUIG screen) off of it unless someone wants to pay extra (not what I paid for the stuff, but at least something for it) to get them with the bike.

I've tried cycle trader (only found ONE used '05 there in the whole southeast region) and ebay (not a very good indicator based on my experience). One used '05 with left side rash and more miles than mine is at $69XX.00 right now but the rest I found were still low bids/reserve not met, etc... Tried the Atlanta Craigslist and found one '05... listed at $4000 with a host of modifications and low miles (can you say scam boys and girls?).

At this point I'm lost as to where to start with pricing this thing. Anybody have any resources I haven't listed above that I could check to try and compare similar bikes and prices?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
i'll give you $2,500 for it...

seriously, i ran ads in cycletrader and ebay until it sold...adjusted the price as i went along and found some interest...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Older Guy said:
i'll give you $2,500 for it...

seriously, i ran ads in cycletrader and ebay until it sold...adjusted the price as i went along and found some interest...

Thanks for the generous offer, but I think I'll pass. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
danno22 said:
I reckon you should price it 10% less than a new 1 but include the bits :badteeth:

So around $7650 including the mods? It was $8500 new... -$850 puts it at $7650... I've got a little over $1k worth of mods on it... If I got $7650 for it with the mods that would put the bike around $7k if I figure recouping around 65% of the mod money... That sound about right? Given the mileage and condition I was sort of thinkin' around $7100-$7200 without the levers, exhaust and rearsets (leaving on the Galfer lines and the PUIG screen) and trying to get around 65-75% of what the mods cost me out of them selling them separate. I guess that would be a decent ballpark starting point.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
For sure sell the farkle seperately. Completly stock bikes seem to fetch the highest prices and you can make a little extra off the farkle seperately. Now is not the best time to be sellin' a bike. To bracket the price KBB trade-in is about $4,800, retail about $6,600. You can buy a new one for about $7,600. I'd say if the planets are aligned and you hold yer mouth right you might get $6,000.

Just out of morbid curiosity, why would anyone buy a bike and only put 400 miles on it? I think I had more than that on the ZX-10R the first day I had it.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swjohnsey said:
For sure sell the farkle seperately. Completly stock bikes seem to fetch the highest prices and you can make a little extra off the farkle seperately. Now is not the best time to be sellin' a bike. To bracket the price KBB trade-in is about $4,800, retail about $6,600. You can buy a new one for about $7,600. I'd say if the planets are aligned and you hold yer mouth right you might get $6,000.

Just out of morbid curiosity, why would anyone buy a bike and only put 400 miles on it? I think I had more than that on the ZX-10R the first day I had it.

Between work and other obligations I just haven't had a lot of time to ride since getting the 636. Also, I don't cummute at all on my bikes. I usually even cage it to bike nights. The only time I ride is when I'm going to hit some twisties. I hit the twisties and put the bike up. That's just my thing... Sort of like doing track days on the street, only I'm not as fast as the track guys. :wink:

And $6k? I think that's a little low...

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Trade-in is what a dealer you give you for the bike toward the purchase of a new bike.

Time ain't on yer side. I would get it all shined up and set it in some high traffic area with a "for sale" sign on it before the first cold spell.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You should be able to get about 6500 for it, if someone is willing to pay that price.
I would list it 1st at 7k and then go down a little at a time if nobody bites.

That's a shame you don't ride it more often.
And I really can't believe you trailer it to bike nights.
But to each his own.
I'm not knockin you for it.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
El D, you are srewed, no matter what you buy, car, bike, airplane, helicopter, computer, whatever, the second its sold and off the lot, you just lost 25% of what you paid, and thats not even saying you'll get that. Its all driven by the market. I see two options for you, ride it through the winter, you won't lose any money, sell it begining of next spring, or do as said earlier and put her on a busy street with a for sale sign and see who bites. You are costing yourself some large ones and if i was on my way to cali i would make you an offer, and if you still have it next year, and your still selling it, i would consider it then also, just don't have the space in our little garage for the moment. Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
smkn6r said:
You should be able to get about 6500 for it, if someone is willing to pay that price.
I would list it 1st at 7k and then go down a little at a time if nobody bites.

That's a shame you don't ride it more often.
And I really can't believe you trailer it to bike nights.
But to each his own.
I'm not knockin you for it.
I don't trailer it to bike nights... :crackup: I cage my ass to bike nights. I take my truck/car instead of the bike. Besides, the "bike nights" I attend on a regular basis are probably 25% riders who cage to the meeting point just for dinner. I go for the fellowship, not for the ride. :wink:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RickRoush03 said:
El D, you are srewed, no matter what you buy, car, bike, airplane, helicopter, computer, whatever, the second its sold and off the lot, you just lost 25% of what you paid, and thats not even saying you'll get that. Its all driven by the market. I see two options for you, ride it through the winter, you won't lose any money, sell it begining of next spring, or do as said earlier and put her on a busy street with a for sale sign and see who bites. You are costing yourself some large ones and if i was on my way to cali i would make you an offer, and if you still have it next year, and your still selling it, i would consider it then also, just don't have the space in our little garage for the moment. Good luck!!

I know I'm going to lose my ass doing this, but if I'm just not happy with the bike I have, I'm going to get rid of it and get what I do want. I'm not too motivated to sell it quickly so I'm not going to just bend over and take a raping on it. I'm able to hold out until I get someone willing to pay for what they're getting with the mileage and condition.

I may try CycleTrader just to see what happens. I sold my busa there and after it sold, but hadn't been picked up yet I got offers of more than my asking price to go ahead and sell it out from under the first buyer. I didn't because the original buyer had already made loan arrangements and was waiting for leave (military guy) to come get it... but I had priced it a bit higher than I figured it would bring and it went for asking price. Worth a shot I guess...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Take off every aftermarket part on it and put the stock stuff back on, list it for 500 less than KBB retail and you'll sell it pretty fast. No one is going to pay more than retail.....don't care if you have 5K in aftermarket parts. Sell you parts separately to try a recoup atleast some money.

Reality check #1 - All of this money we spend in modding our bikes is pretty much just for personal satisfaction...adds no value/takes away value from the bike when selling it.

Its a viscous cycle of wanting what you don't have and it never ends. Been there myself many times.

"Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got." (thanks Ms. Crow)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LIME TIME said:
Just ask for payoff on the bike. If its paid for, keep it and buy a new 10. You don't want to be in the red. Try to keep in the green :mrgreen:
Pay off is considerably lower than what it should bring... :wink:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
05Ti10 said:
Take off every aftermarket part on it and put the stock stuff back on, list it for 500 less than KBB retail and you'll sell it pretty fast. No one is going to pay more than retail.....don't care if you have 5K in aftermarket parts. Sell you parts separately to try a recoup atleast some money.

Reality check #1 - All of this money we spend in modding our bikes is pretty much just for personal satisfaction...adds no value/takes away value from the bike when selling it.

Its a viscous cycle of wanting what you don't have and it never ends. Been there myself many times.

"Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got." (thanks Ms. Crow)

I listed it for $7100 without and $7600 with exhaust, rsets, and levers. Not motivated enough to take less than KBB just to move it. Not motivated enough to take KBB retail in fact. They are too low. Besides, their listed values are based on "average" condition. I can assure you that mine is well above average condition. I've got time to sell it. No hurry. I'll lose on it regardless but I won't give it away...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts