Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a use race intake cam and I would like to know if anybody have one lying around and can mesure the cam height(overall height) so I can compare with mine. I check with the lift specs but it is harder to mesure accurately than the height.

There is no part number on the cam so I cannot be 100% sure if it's really a race cam or a stock one.

Thanks!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
heres how you tell.... theres a groove all the way around the I guess keeper the thing thats held on by the cap that holds both the cams in.... but Im not sure if the 06-07 has those as well but i know the 04-05's are different.

you might be able to look in the service manual, if you don't have one theres a PDF online somewhere and see what stock limit is and add what ever its supposed to be on top of that maybe..... well it goes by lift so you should be able to measure the lift on the cam real easy just take a good side measurement on the lobe and then a measurement with the lobe long ways, minus the numbers and you should have w/e lift it has, i believe the race cam is 9.7mm? or 9.6???

I dont have a stock cam with me now and i dont have a set of calipers to measure as well... sorry....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for trying to help garth285.

Seem like the mesurement value would be more like toward the race cam than the stock one but not quit. As far as the groove I don't quite understand. I don't think I see a groove on the supposely race cam.

I hope somebody have a race intake cam around and can please take a quick cam height mesurement with a caliper.

Thank you!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
if you look on the side by the cam sprockets the i guess guide that keeps the cams in place.... the part that has the long cam cap going across the both of the cams...... if one doesnt have a small groove and one does its a race intake. that or take a colse up pic of the both of them if you can or something.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Thank you for trying to help garth285.

Seem like the mesurement value would be more like toward the race cam than the stock one but not quit. As far as the groove I don't quite understand. I don't think I see a groove on the supposely race cam.

I hope somebody have a race intake cam around and can please take a quick cam height mesurement with a caliper.

Thank you!
I have one. I will do it later tonight if someone else hasn't by then. Will post some pix of it as well if that helps.

But I can tell you this. If you put dial calipers around the cam, and if they are digital calipers zero them out, then rotate the cam inside the dial calipers, it will measure about 9.7MM. I know this because I have already done it. Thats the lift, but not the measurement you are asking for from the base circle to the tip of the lobe. I will measure that for you tonight though it may be real late.

JJ

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one. I will do it later tonight if someone else hasn't by then. Will post some pix of it as well if that helps.

But I can tell you this. If you put dial calipers around the cam, and if they are digital calipers zero them out, then rotate the cam inside the dial calipers, it will measure about 9.7MM. I know this because I have already done it. Thats the lift, but not the measurement you are asking for from the base circle to the tip of the lobe. I will measure that for you tonight though it may be real late.

JJ
Thank you for your help! I will be waiting for your response.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Thank you for your help! I will be waiting for your response.
Here ya go. Some measurements and pix. I have not yet installed the intake cam.

Its not the easiest thing to get an accurate repeatable measurement when measuring cam lobes with a dial indicator. It averaged around 35.85mm. I could have got a more accurate measurement if I had had someone to hold the cam, but this is close enough. If yours measures close to this then you may have the RACE intake. Hope this helps.

JJ

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here ya go. Some measurements and pix. I have not yet installed the intake cam.

Its not the easiest thing to get an accurate repeatable measurement when measuring cam lobes with a dial indicator. It averaged around 35.85mm. I could have got a more accurate measurement if I had had someone to hold the cam, but this is close enough. If yours measures close to this then you may have the RACE intake. Hope this helps.
Thanks! JimmyJam

The mesurement I get are pretty much beetween 13.75 and 13.80mm more often 13.75.

I believe this is conclusive enough to say that I have the race cam.

By curiosity what was your mesurement span. I got once or twice 13.85mm but it seem I was of axis a little bit. Very hard to be consistent like you said.

Again thank you very much for your help

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
423 Posts
so the "race cam" has the groove and the stocker doesnt?

·
Registered
423 Posts
well i guess im going to have to take the valve cover off and do a side by side comparasion. i had a mechanic put the cam and head gasket in. that has done work on my bike before as far as tuning. and i dont think he put the race cam in like he said he did:headshake

·
Registered
20 Posts
so the 06 comes with race cams already. what can i do for more power. i currently have pcIII, 2 brother slip on, ignition module,tre.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts