Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 2 seater gokart for myself so I can take rides with my son who can not walk. I need a 2 seater...obviously. I have never owned one before, so I don't know what to look for. I have been searching locally and seen a few anywhere from 300-800 but not sure on what's good or not. Any insight would help.

What would be sufficient hp I need? I have seen a lot of 5.5 and 6hp.

Or would it be better to build my own from a frame that someone is selling for $50? Or take a chance with the ones for sale on craigslist?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
can you post up the ones your looking at? as far as horsepower goes it depends on what you want to do with it. i have a 10hp briggs on the shop kart and thats decent fun but the mini baja we built(deceased) had a cbr600rr motor. loads of fun. how olds your son? can he drive it or is there no function of the legs? could do hand controls if not. need more on what you plan to do with it.

from experience its better to buy one sorted and make it fit your needs. it adds up quick building karts

·
Registered
102 Posts
honestly he is going to be impressed by whatever speed it is doing and you can always re-gear those things, I had one when I was younger tour the engine completely out and bought 2 of the same chain saws from a pawn show. after I got the carbs sinked it would do about 60 mph. What I would look for assuming your a decent size guy is one that you can sit in comfortably. I know theres no way id be cramming my self into a kids go gart for more than about 20 min. So look for something to fit you size wise. Im sure he will be impressed with the speed if he's never been on one before no matter the size of the engine.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Buy a cart that has a frame you like, transplant a motor...there was a guy here a while back, haven't seen him on for a bit (2k3gixxer) that had a cart with a turbo on it...if he was still active, I'd pm him and start asking questions...

Also, I rebuilt a minibike for a friends kid, bought a new motor off of harborfreight, and they had some decent stuff for not too much money...kids have a blast on it and it's still running strong

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
id really try to get something with a 10hp. good power for two and you can have fun by yourself. you could always upgrade the motor later if you end up choosing a 6.5hp. all of those look kind of small to me your best bet is to go check them out and actually sit in them. if it was me i would probably check this one out.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/3289511877.html

curious on motor and what not. dont get an off brand grenade . i love my 10hp briggs ohv. as far as the frame goes its not a big deal they all look to be about the same quality.

dont get me wrong you can still have plenty fun with a 6.5 hp you can always mess around with the gearing to make it work for you.

obviously seat belts are going to be a necessity in your situation so i would deff look into that as well.

good luck on your search.

lol guess i took too long to post. forget i said anything.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, guys, for the insight so far. I will go take a look at some of these over the weekend. Worst comes to worse, I buy one, blow the motor, all I have to do is buy a good motor and put it in.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Looking to buy a 2 seater gokart for myself so I can take rides with my son who can not walk. I need a 2 seater...obviously. I have never owned one before, so I don't know what to look for. I have been searching locally and seen a few anywhere from 300-800 but not sure on what's good or not. Any insight would help.

What would be sufficient hp I need? I have seen a lot of 5.5 and 6hp.

Or would it be better to build my own from a frame that someone is selling for $50? Or take a chance with the ones for sale on craigslist?
Suspension!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
thats forsure one of the better ones youve posted. worth a look! are you gonna fit in it ok? that kid looks comfy but ik my legs wouldnt do to well in that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts