Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to install a new adjustable camshaft chain tensioner and was wondering if anyone that has done this can help me with a couple of things.

When installed the service manual says turn the crankshaft 2 x turns clockwise to allow tensioner to expand, whats the easiest way to do this?
When i purchased the ACCT the guys at the Kawi shop said to make sure pistons 1 & 4 are at top dead centre, is this necessary?
Also says in the service manual to recheck the camshaft chain timing, trying to find in the manual how to do this, if needed?

Been trying to find threads on this without any luck, but came across installation of manual cam chain tensioners and no one has described in there that they check camshaft chain timing and turning the crankshaft 2 x clockwise, it just seems they install it(adjust the tension by ear) and off they go?

May have to bite the bullet and get mechanic to do it, but I would like to learn to work on bike myself. Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
I have one sitting on the shelf myself..........gonna do the install this winter....after the kawi race cam and thin HG.....so I am gonna subscribe to this thread,......good luck man!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here is what I did... Removed the old one, put in the new one and tightened it finger tight. when I say FINGER, I MEAN FINGER!!! You can tighten it enough to wipe a bearing which is why I stress FINGER tight.

Then I started the bike and listened for noise. If you can't hear any, loosen the tensioner until you hear noise. Once you hear noise, tighten it again FINGER tight until the noise goes away. Once it goes away, loosen it again so you get a feel for the number of turns until you have noise. I tightened mine about half a turn past the point where there was no noise. Then tightened down the lock nut and called it a day.

I've checked it several times since then just because its manual... It won't adjust on its own. Its was good but I still used the same procedure above to find the place where the noise just goes away. You may still have a little bit of chain slack using this method but a little chain slack is better than a rebuild in my book.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Just curious, is there a benefit to having a manual / adjustable cam chain tensioner over a self adjusting one?
Kawi tensioners sometimes don't selfadjust, so you hear the "tic tic" noise from the engine. Generally Kawi engines are noisy, but there were failures in the past.. If you race you don't want the timing to change at 12k rpm... It's a good thing to do.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If the factory one worked properly, there wouldn't really be. Manual one is longer giving you more adjustment range. What happens with the factory one is the spring isn't strong enough to advance the plunger so you get cam chain noise. Some people take them out and advance them manually. Others roll the bike backwards in 5th and it seems to help. Do a search and you will find a bunch of info...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
To turn your engine, take out the cam gear cover (green arrow) and with a wrench turn it clockwise.

Ah yes, my bike was a repairable and I had to change the cam sensor rotor behind that cover (the cover was smashed and rotor teeth broken) but once I turn it clockwise do I have to adjust/check camshaft chain timing?
I think I will also do the chain aduster when I do an oil change next, if I remove the cam gear cover will have a bit of a mess!

p.s. thanks for the fast replies and great photo there tasos, much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Turn it 2 times as the manual says and readjust it. The timing is not affected by this. There should not be much oil inthere. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
you will not need to worry about TDC or turning this or that if your just replacing the tensioner. just take the old one out, put the new one in and tighten finger tight untill noise goes away like stated previously

1 - 12 of 12 Posts