Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a power commander and ignition module and I've been having some problems. I just updated both firmwares and then tried to send an ignition table and it failed. I turned the bike off and came in to read something then went back out and no matter what I do it won't show an ignition table, only the fuel. I can't figure out what I did.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Not sure how you are hooking things up right now but I had a time trying to figure stuff out. After you update the pc, use the little connection thing that came with the ignition module. You have to crank the bike or use a 9volt battery to get everything to come on. If you use a 9v, unplug the commander from the motorcycle's battery. My 9v kept dying on me, so be sure its a fresh one. But keep the cable with the ignition module plugged in. Then on the pc software, go to: tools, environment options, show ignition tables. Then you are free to roll.

I kept getting that ignition table failure thing and the problem was the 9v battery so i hooked it up to the bike and cranked it. Just words of wisdom, a little change in the ignition table goes a long ways. I have mine set at 3 degress across and noticed a big difference but I'm not sure how it will do on a fairly stock bike. You'll have to let us know. If you hear a pinging in the bike under a load, you know you have advanced to far. You may want to go with less advancement on your higher throttle percentages at low rpms.

One suggestion that I did with the ign module is to put Ivan's TRE on there. Although your ignition module is changing the timing map, it still is being retarded by the ecu in lower gears. So for another 60 bucks you can get full advancement from the ecu while then adding more with the ignition module.

Holler if things still aren't working or you got any questions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the reply, I'll go back out and try that. I dont have the 9v connector, so I'm just using it with the bike on. But, I have normally been doing it with just the ignition on instead of it running, maybe I should try that. Also if I want to put the 3's across the board, do I put a +3 or just a 3?

Thank You

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yeah the bike has to be running for the pc to keep power. If you look closely, the lights will go out generally after your fuel pump shuts off with just the ignition on. All you gotta do for 3 degrees advancement across the board it highlight all the cells with the mouse and hit 3. Only have to use the '-' if you want otherwise. I'm planning on putting my bike on the dyno and having the ignition set a lot better because another guy on here (garth285) said he has his advanced all the way to 10 on 100% throttle. I wouldn't suggest going that far unless you know exactly what you're doing. You can go too far and cause pre-ignition (the pinging) and it tear stuff up. That's why I'm going to let a pro mess with my table.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yeah I have been talking to garth but he wasn't on and I was just trying to figure something out right now. He had told me to start out with 2 from 1500 to redline in 2% to 60% and then 3 or 4 for 80% to 100%. Have you tried that or just stuck with the 3 all the way across?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I don't know, I created a map and table with the fuel map I wanted and then the ignition like I wanted to try, I hooked it up with the bike running and it gave me an error. I let it retrieve what was in the bike and it showed the fuel and 0's for the ignition. So I opened my map that I made, loaded the fuel, that worked, tried to send the ignition and it failed. The ignition module has the green light on. What could be my problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts