Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is running good, idles fine, drives fine, until you get to WOT. Then it starts to break up. Doesn't matter what gear your in. It seems to break up in the same place in every gear. I have to bip the throttle to stay moving or up shift. It just doesn't have the top-end rpms that it should.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
It is running good, idles fine, drives fine, until you get to WOT. Then it starts to break up. Doesn't matter what gear your in. It seems to break up in the same place in every gear. I have to bip the throttle to stay moving or up shift. It just doesn't have the top-end rpms that it should.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Clutch? Coil? Reed valve? Jets? Can you be more explicit?lol... break up?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a 2000. The clutch is fine. The breaking up happens late in the gear. Its like the bike is getting to much or not enough fuel and starts to spit and pop. If I let off the throttle it stops. But there is no power.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It sounds like your main jet at wot... Just get a keihn 160 main jet... I've had kx250s and live in florida like you do. What part of florida?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Space Coast, I got a pdf today so I am going to pull the reeds. I hope thats all it is. The Carb will be looked at also.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Reeds hurt low more than top, (generally). First thing to check on a 2 stroke that won't rev is the silencer/spark arrester. Try running it with the silencer off, easy 10 min. check. Air filter clean?, I know, obvious - but have to ask. Cracked or chipped reeds usually make the motor sloppy in the low to mid.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, its no on the reeds. They looked good to me. Stiff not wrapped or chipped,cracked. So now on to the carb. I did also notice that the air filter was oily as s#*t and the plug to the air box was not hooked up. The female end was full of crap. I know the air filters need oil but, it must of been used by BP for clean up.
Going to get a new air filter and take it down a trail by the house. Then if that doesnt work carb to the shop. I was a bit over my head getting to the reeds but I did it. I do not think I should mess with the carb. I want to RIDE.(with power)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sort of black/brown
If it's black you're running too fat on your main. Definitely clean your filter and re-oil. I would be sure to check the boot that connects to the carb for debris. It doesn't take much to ruin a motor if sand and dirt get through.

What type of 2-stroke oil are you using?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
just twist the carb to the side and unbolt the single nut on the bottom 13mm im guessing then you will see the main jet on the bottom. The main jet is like 4mm and you unscrew it with a socket. Heres how it works.... pilot jet works on the bottom end and the needle affects the lower to midrange and the wot is controlled by the main jet. I have spare jets in the garage but im busy as shit with my newborn. Id start off with a 156 main jet to be honest...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just twist the carb to the side and unbolt the single nut on the bottom 13mm im guessing then you will see the main jet on the bottom. The main jet is like 4mm and you unscrew it with a socket. Heres how it works.... pilot jet works on the bottom end and the needle affects the lower to midrange and the wot is controlled by the main jet. I have spare jets in the garage but im busy as shit with my newborn. Id start off with a 156 main jet to be honest...
Would this size change if its bored 10mm over? I am using Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Would this size change if its bored 10mm over? I am using Amsoil.
It probably use a little bigger main jet...Not a whole lot bigger though....Amsoil is very good oil as well. Do you feel confident in changing the jetting?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts