Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you install a Catalyst supersport tail on a '04 ZX10?? Order of install, ie seat first followed by the tail or vice versa?? Where to secure the front of the tail?? etc. Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
seat first, then tail. tail mounts primarily on 2 spots beneath the seat and i believe it comes marked for drilling. I've successfully used DZUS quick release bolts on this part but it's tricky requiring you to mount the quick release holder ONTO the painted surface of the tailboard. (cushion with cloth or something) The quick release bolt goes from underneath...

personally i think 2 mounting pts is a little too flimsy for me and so I've drilled out the 4 holes used for the stock fender and with the help of 8mm rubber nuts (those windscreen rubber holders with nuts in them) i've managed to secure the rear of the tail to the subframe (u gotta drill the subframe too at the part where you used to pass bolts thru to fit them) via long bolts.

and when you're done with everything, you need to find at least a 2cm spacer to stuff into the REAR 2 holes before bolting them in as there's a big allowance inside between the subframe/battery tray and the tail unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hillcountry10r said:
I looked @ the HotBodies instruction post. The Catalyst Racing Composites, however, are installed differently. Specifically, the Catalyst tail section is not marked for drilling @ the point where the seat is bolted. The tail section eyelets are located under the seat and inaccessible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CountDokoo said:
seat first, then tail. tail mounts primarily on 2 spots beneath the seat and i believe it comes marked for drilling. I've successfully used DZUS quick release bolts on this part but it's tricky requiring you to mount the quick release holder ONTO the painted surface of the tailboard. (cushion with cloth or something) The quick release bolt goes from underneath...

personally i think 2 mounting pts is a little too flimsy for me and so I've drilled out the 4 holes used for the stock fender and with the help of 8mm rubber nuts (those windscreen rubber holders with nuts in them) i've managed to secure the rear of the tail to the subframe (u gotta drill the subframe too at the part where you used to pass bolts thru to fit them) via long bolts.

and when you're done with everything, you need to find at least a 2cm spacer to stuff into the REAR 2 holes before bolting them in as there's a big allowance inside between the subframe/battery tray and the tail unit.
Thanks for the reply. Just want to confirm that we are talking about installing Catalyst Plastics...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
socal said:
I looked @ the HotBodies instruction post. The Catalyst Racing Composites, however, are installed differently. Specifically, the Catalyst tail section is not marked for drilling @ the point where the seat is bolted. The tail section eyelets are located under the seat and inaccessible.
The Catalyst Racing Composite tail comes marked for drilling in the front just beneath the edge of your seat's rear.

They're also marked for drilling underneath the tail specifically for fender eliminator mounting.
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
well seems like in order to mount the seat, youre gonna have to drill a hole in any tail, no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hillcountry10r said:
well seems like in order to mount the seat, youre gonna have to drill a hole in any tail, no?
My thoughts exactly. But here is a photo fr Catalysts web site of the tail installed:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Just did this last month with the Catalyst bodywork. Came out very nice. Just drilled the two forward holes that are under the rear of the seat, and bolted it loosely into place.

Then, drilled very tiny holes at the rear (underneath) mounting points and looked through them to sight the holes. Then enlarged them enough to fit two bolts (same as the stock upper bolts), using a Unibit.

Got a couple clip nuts and installed them over the subframe tabs so that I could install the bolts from underneath.

BTW, it helps a lot to remove the brackets on top of the subframe that mount the stock tailsection, as well as the latch mechanism. Makes it much easier to slide the tailsection on.

To get the seat to mount, I used my die-grinder to notch the front of the tail in order to be able to install the seat after the tail is in place.

I can take pics if it would help. Lemme know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CanyonCarver said:
Just did this last month with the Catalyst bodywork. Came out very nice. Just drilled the two forward holes that are under the rear of the seat, and bolted it loosely into place.

Then, drilled very tiny holes at the rear (underneath) mounting points and looked through them to sight the holes. Then enlarged them enough to fit two bolts (same as the stock upper bolts), using a Unibit.

Got a couple clip nuts and installed them over the subframe tabs so that I could install the bolts from underneath.

BTW, it helps a lot to remove the brackets on top of the subframe that mount the stock tailsection, as well as the latch mechanism. Makes it much easier to slide the tailsection on.

To get the seat to mount, I used my die-grinder to notch the front of the tail in order to be able to install the seat after the tail is in place.

I can take pics if it would help. Lemme know.
Pics would be great!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
socal said:
Pics would be great!:thumbsup:
OK. Here ya go.

Disclaimer: Camera phone pics, under flourescent lighting in my garage, of a black bike.

So, they are what they are. But should give you some help, I hope.

Lemme know if you need any others.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
No problemo. Glad to help.

BTW, the Morse Racing bracket for the front cowl was money well spent. Made for a much easier installation up front.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top