Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill be stretching my zx10r soon 9inches...I need some help choosing the correct/best chain and sprocket combo. I currently BELIEVE i have a 520 chain and sprocket, with a 1down 2 up setup. Not 100percent cuz i bought the bike used but thats what the previous owner claims. I assume a 140 link chain will be the length i need? but i really would like a blue chain, if i cant i guess ill live. and i guess its hard to find a 520 chain in this color and in 140 links?? my friend i has a 520 kit, but is running a 530 chain i think? i duno i just need some help lol

·
Registered
905 Posts
The EK ZZZ is a 150 link chain. My bike is stretched about 9" and I got that chain and had to take 12 links out. So if you can find a good 140 it SHOULD work. RK has a 150 also. I would definitely not reccomend running 530 chain on a 520 sprocket. Just me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-1 and +2 sprockets with a 525 chain (stock) and 140 links of chain will give you a 9.22" stretch.
hmm..so what should i do then? i do not want to have to cut a chain and take links out...with the kind of riding ill be doing im not taking the risk of it breaking.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
hmm..so what should i do then? i do not want to have to cut a chain and take links out...with the kind of riding ill be doing im not taking the risk of it breaking.
The only way you'll risk a chain breaking is by running a 520 chain.

Taking links out is done every single day and it does not make a chain any weaker or more susceptible to breaking. With a proper rivet-type master link, it will be plenty strong.

I'd run 135 links (take 15 out) which will give you a 7.66" stretch. That gives you just over an inch to allow for chain stretch. The chain will stretch more simply because theres more of it to stretch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well ive had a very experienced rider and friend of mine, over 15 years of riding and working on bikes, build his own drag bike and he did the take links out thing, and his chain blew on him during a pass and put a half inch gash in the pavement on the strip..So i dont trust it no matter how much someone says its ok. No offense, i just wanna be safe

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Just because someone is experienced does not mean they have the proper know-how when it comes to certain things. I AM NOT bashing or discrediting your friend, I am just making a general statement which applies to many people/situations.

I have MANY friends whom run 7s in the 1/4 mile making 550+ rear wheel HP on their bikes and have never had a problem with chains, even if links were removed. Same goes with my friends whom run bottom 7s on their drag bikes.

The ONLY way for a chain to break is improper installation or inferior equipment (IE chain with low tensile strength).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just because someone is experienced does not mean they have the proper know-how when it comes to certain things. I AM NOT bashing or discrediting your friend, I am just making a general statement which applies to many people/situations.

I have MANY friends whom run 7s in the 1/4 mile making 550+ rear wheel HP on their bikes and have never had a problem with chains, even if links were removed. Same goes with my friends whom run bottom 7s on their drag bikes.

The ONLY way for a chain to break is improper installation or inferior equipment (IE chain with low tensile strength).
i have called 3 different companys/manufacturers and all 3 of them have recommended NOT to cut the links to get a chain for the correct link.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You're going to have to stretch it well past 8" then. With 150 links AND 17/55 (stock, +16) you're still stretched 10.03".

Of course the manufacturers will tell you not to change the chain length. If I were to call Chevrolet they'd tell me to never modify my Silverado. Goodyear would tell me to have a "professional" install my tires and never do it myself........

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, so 140 link chain would be perfect then..? my question is, as you can tell im not experienced with drivetrain, i cannot find, or i guess get a 520 chain in this link. so if i got 140 link, what will i change my sprockets out to?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Ok, I'll try to REiterate this as best I can.

DO NOT RUN A 520 CHAIN ON A STRETCHED BIKE!!! EVER!!!

Run an EK ZZZ chain. It has great tensile strength which is needed for stretched bikes. They're only available in 120 or 150 links.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I'll try to REiterate this as best I can.

DO NOT RUN A 520 CHAIN ON A STRETCHED BIKE!!! EVER!!!

Run an EK ZZZ chain. It has great tensile strength which is needed for stretched bikes. They're only available in 120 or 150 links.

right, which is exactly why i said looks like ill be doing a 530 chain. I am now asking about the sprockets.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
9,700lb tensile strength, no thanks.
what would you reccomend then? i see when you ordering a stretch kit from roaringtoyz, they give you a 135 link 525 chain, would this be good? and im really confused on what sprockets to match it up with...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The gearing is absolutely up to you depending on what you want, where you ride, how you ride, your weight, if you race, if you do race - how often, etc.

Pick your gearing first and then match the chain to it.

I'm going to be running a 525 EK ZZZ chain reduced to 130 links from 150 it comes with. It will give me a 5 1/4" stretch, allowing me 3/4" for chair stretch/adjustment.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The gearing is absolutely up to you depending on what you want, where you ride, how you ride, your weight, if you race, if you do race - how often, etc.

Pick your gearing first and then match the chain to it.

I'm going to be running a 525 EK ZZZ chain reduced to 130 links from 150 it comes with. It will give me a 5 1/4" stretch, allowing me 3/4" for chair stretch/adjustment.
i do alot of casual riding around town/hwy. I will be doing occasional drag racing, once a month id say....and i want quicker acceleration like my -1/+2 520 kit gives me now. BUT, i want a longer stretch then you. Id like to be ATLEAST at 8inches.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Drag racing....1/8th mile? 1/4 mile? roll ons?

What factors are you using to determine you need atleast an 8 inch stretch? All a stretch like that will do is spin its ass off. Unless you run a U-Soft and dial it in perfectly, you'd still have to set it up right to even hook at the track.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts