Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014-08-23 18.05.36.jpg

So there i was putting my new sprocket on and the stud snapped off.. i need a new one quick. Does anyone know where i would even get one? Also how to get the old one off and put the new one on? Need this asap considering my bike is my only mode of transportation right now.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Drill it out.

Drill a small hole down the middle of the stud using progressively larger drill bits till there is very little metal of the stud left. Then turn it out with vise grips, clean out the threads then thread in a new stud or bolt.

Once you have drilled out most of the center of the bolt, almost to the threads of the hub, it will turn out easy no matter how seized it was or is. Just be careful and don't go to big on the last drill bit.

It should come out. There is a Kawasaki part # for just the stud itself so its meant to be replaced.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drill it out.

Drill a small hole down the middle of the stud using progressively larger drill bits till there is very little metal of the stud left. Then turn it out with vise grips, clean out the threads then thread in a new stud or bolt.

Once you have drilled out most of the center of the bolt, almost to the threads of the hub, it will turn out easy not matter how seized it was or is. Just be careful and don't go to big on the last drill bit.

It should come out. There is a Kawasaki part # for just the stud itself so its meant to be replaced.
Do you know the part number or where to get it? I can't find the part number

·
Registered
946 Posts
use a simple propane torch and heat the hub where the bolt it.....they come out.

and yes, ride with it broken.............i usually only use 3 on some bikes. ;)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Do you know the part number or where to get it? I can't find the part number
Kawasaki Part # 92004-0028

The sad part is though, most dealers don't stock parts like this, they would have to order it. In the meantime go to a hardware store, find the longest 10mm threaded bolt they have and saw the threaded part off the right length and use that temporarily if you don't want to ride around with 5 studs instead of 6.

I would use the Kawasaki part permanently though.

Attachments

·
Chairman of the Board
16,018 Posts
Penetrating oil, a bit of heat on the stud and a pair of Vise grips? You have tons sticking out there it shouldnt be that bad.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered 2 new studs from part zilla, only thing that sucks is they have slow shipping. Probably gonna buy a torch since this just gives me an excuse to buy one so the only lady doesn't give me any shit lol thanks guys I'll let ya know how it goes

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Anyone else know an eaiser, faster solution?
PB Blaster for a few days then get a reverse drill bit that is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the diameter of the bolt and then drill it out. Sometimes the heat from drilling will loosen the bolt and it will come out with the bit. If that doesn't happen, use an easy-out or as some call them a screw/bolt extractor. It is squareish, tapered and after you tap it into the hole you drilled in the bolt, you put a wrench on the top of it, like a tap, and then back the bolt out. Works every time.

PS: I wouldn't recommend heat to remove it. There is a very fine line between enough and too much heat when it comes to aluminum.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
be careful with a torch keep the heat only on the bolt the aluminum will melt fast! Also dont burn the grease out of the bearing.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you're goin to use a regular 10mm bolt like mentioned above make sure its a 1.25 thread pitch 10mm.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Penetrating oil, a bit of heat on the stud and a pair of Vise grips? You have tons sticking out there it shouldnt be that bad.
+2

With some penetrating oil and a little heat you should be able to get it out. Don't use a cutting torch, just a plumbers torch. Put the oil on the bolt several times and let it soak each time. Tap the bolt with a hammer, then add some more oil, let it soak. Then try with some vise grips.

If it still wont some out, put some heat on the hub near the bolt, you want to try and heat the hub which will expand a little which may free it up. Do not apply heat to the bolt. Put a socket over the bolt sticking out to act as a heat shield. If this does not work you can drill it and remove with a screw extractor kit from Lowes.

The oil soak method should work but takes some time.

Use this kind of torch not a cutting or welding torch.

Screw extractor kit at Lowes (in tool section) You will have to find the right size.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If you're not afraid to put some heat to it, another thing you can do is heat it up 'till it's hot to the touch then rub a candle or some paraffin wax on it then let it cool. As it cools it draws the wax into the threads. I do this for stuck exhaust manifold bolts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts