Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've got a 96 zx7r, and unfortunately it's been giving me some problems lately. It started then it wouldn't idle for me. It started right up but as I drove it up my driveway and I stopped with the clutch in, then it just died... I couldn't start it back up, I even tried to jump start it with 3 different cars. I trailored it to my mechanic, he did a battery drain and recharge, and it started up the next day. He told me one of my plug caps was arching and the plugs were extremely fouled.

As I was leaving the parking lot, it died again while idling and wouldn't start. He sprayed brake cleaned into the air duct and it fired up after a little, he told me I was using the choke and and it was too warm to use teh choke to warm it up. It rode nice for 2 days, then rding home from a trip about an hour north of me I felt it bogging extremely on the bottom end and only had power above 5kish then about 30minutes later it just shut down on the hwy, I rolled for about 400' and had to have someone pick me up to trailor it home. It's now sitting in my garage, with brand new plugs, a freshly cleaned air filter and its on a battery tender, it's just popping when I try to start it. It is turning over just a little bit but not enough to start :dontknow:

Could it be a fuel filter? bike has 60k on it... Maybe plugs were shot from not getting enough gas? I'm at a loss debating on whether to drop the bike off again Monday morning to get it looked at. Thanks for any imput.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Clean the carbs and check the fuel pump and change the plugs one more time as they are probably fouled again.

Tread

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Tread70 said:
Clean the carbs and check the fuel pump and change the plugs one more time as they are probably fouled again.

Tread
:+1:all of the above and change the spark plug wires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, how can I tell if the fuel pump is shot?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bike is actually running like a champ now, it turns out a wire had disconnected from the fuel pump, it had been barely touching to make a connection for the last couple of weeks, which would explain some starting issues. Thanks for all the advice, now if this rain would just go away in the Northeast....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts