Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any good advice on removing these two bolts. I am considering an easy-out or something similar, but I am not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :beer:

The two circled in red are the culprits. They belong to the lower side of the idle gear cover.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Easy out sounds like the way. Make sure you drill a hole first and start with the smallest bit and make sure you are centered.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
mmmmmmm thats a tough one! an easy-out is an option as is removing the remaining bolts and see if the cover comes off leaving the 2 studs and then remove them somehow. :dontknow:

BD

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easy out sounds like the way. Make sure you drill a hole first and start with the smallest bit and make sure you are centered.
Right, my only concern is that the area I have to work with will not be that great. The bolts themselves are only 6mm dia.

mmmmmmm thats a tough one! an easy-out is an option as is removing the remaining bolts and see if the cover comes off leaving the 2 studs and then remove them somehow. :dontknow:
Rgr that. I was thinking of this as an option as well. I would just hope that there is enough to work with once the cover is off.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
once the cover is off the amount of pressure/torque that was applied is now removed and they should unscrew easily (atleast it sounds good) :wink:

BD

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
get a reverse threaded bit (one that spins left not right to sink in) when u start dilling the bolt it will catch and spin the screw out

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Looks like the cover is already ruined so you might be able to grind the one bolt that isnt ground completely gone down more so you can maybe get the cover off and have enough sticking out once cover is off to grab on to.If not put the cover back on an use the drill and easy out process.Just becareful with the drill it needs to be straight!:dontknow:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the advice of all of you and the job worked out.

First, I set to cutting off the right bolt that had mushroomed out. I went and bought some cutting wheels for my Dremel, and went at it. About half way through the bolt it started to rotate slightly and I was able to turn it the rest of the way out by hand.

Next, I tried pulling the cover off to expose the stud that would be remaining on the left but the cover wouldn't budge. I tried tapping it with a plastic mallot, but no joy.

at this point I figured I would have to try and use an ez-out or some other fearful way. I went to Sears and found this.

I also bought an 1/8" cobalt drill bit just in case to start a pilot hole.

Well I started the pilot hole with the drill bit, and then tried to switch to the Drill-out which also has a bit on it, but it wasn't worth a damn. But the cobalt bit cut through that hardened bolt like butter. :)

Once my pilot whole was deep enough I switched back to the Drill-out to use the other end and it worked like a charm. So now it looks like this:

:thumbsup::beer:

instead of this:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Good deal.

Last weekend I was pulling the intake manifold on my 350 Chevy and one of the intake manifold bolts snapped off in the cylinder head. I had to drill the bolt out (with a hand drill, mind you...) and re-tap it.

I don't know how but I got that joker dead-nuts perfect. But it was scary.

How much did the drill-outs run you?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good deal.

Last weekend I was pulling the intake manifold on my 350 Chevy and one of the intake manifold bolts snapped off in the cylinder head. I had to drill the bolt out (with a hand drill, mind you...) and re-tap it.

I don't know how but I got that joker dead-nuts perfect. But it was scary.

How much did the drill-outs run you?
I know what you mean by scary. I would be even more nervous with a manifold bolt, talk about trickery. Are you triple jointed or did you remove the block?
I guess you just have to not rush it and re check how straight it is once every couple of seconds or so. I'll tell you what though that cobalt bit cut through that bolt really well.
As for the Drill-out, the set was about 30 bucks, but well worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts